Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H)

Hi Everyone,

Posting on behalf of my parents who are current MM2H visa holders which will expire end of May.

Since they cannot travel to KL to renew, is there any other way they will be able to renew it or get an extension due to this ongoing pandemic?

I searched the MM2H website, but could not find anything helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Are you parents inside or outside of Malaysia?

If inside, my understanding is all Visa holders are going to be given an immigration waiver to get their visas extended or renewed ONCE the MRO is over.

You need to contact the officers at Paragraph #5 for further assistance.

http://motac.gov.my/images/pdf/PROCEDUR … ER_MCO.pdf

PROCEDURES RELATED TO MALAYSIA MY SECOND HOME (MM2H) APPLICATIONS DUE TO THE CLOSURE OF MM2H COUNTERS UNTIL 30 APRIL 2020 (now May 13)

http://motac.gov.my/images/pdf/PROCEDUR … ER_MCO.pdf

Including New Endorsements, New Applications,v Withdrawals from Fixed Deposit, Termination of Visa, Transfer of Endorsement (New Passport), Extensions, and Renewals, etc.

I have a question about collecting MCAL. I have applied directly to MM2H.  I understand that upon approval, they no longer courier MCAL to my home country and I have to pick it up at MM2H center.

Since I will not be in MY at approval, can I either-

1. Ask a friend or relatives in MY to pick up on my behalf?

2. We do need to make a trip to MY anyway to open bank accounts and do medical checks.  Can we pick up the MCAL and complete the other procedures in one single trip to MY?  Do we have to leave once and return after getting the MCAL?

Your advise is much appreciated.

1)cannot on behalf. need identity verification.
2)yes, need fly over M'sia to open bank account and medical check up. if u manage to do all in one day. bank operation 9.30am to 4.00pm / medical should be very fast if u hv appointment with doctor. the medicsl report can email to you. yes, correct.

Thanks a lot for sharing such valuable information. In the future, I would look into this. Malaysia is one of the favorite tourist destinations. I once had a trip to Langkawi after reserving my stay in Ambong Pool Villas and it went awesome. It is a great country.

MCO extended to June 9, 2020

Wonder if they'll end it after that or extend until July?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as … 4#cxrecs_s

Thanks for the details. It is useful.
I am working in Vashi Electricals Pvt Ltd, I wanna move for my office work.

AgarwalNiti877 wrote:

Thanks for the details. It is useful.
I am working in Vashi Electricals Pvt Ltd, I wanna move for my office work.

MM2H is not an employment visa program. One can work from abroad or do tele-commuting on the visa, but there are other visas required to establish a branch of a company or to sell items within Malaysia.

lhwrandal wrote:

2. We do need to make a trip to MY anyway to open bank accounts and do medical checks.  Can we pick up the MCAL and complete the other procedures in one single trip to MY?  Do we have to leave once and return after getting the MCAL?.

Until Malaysia eases off on the Quarantine requirement it will be a very bad time to try and come in. One will have to undergo tests for Covid-19 and will immediately be transported from KLIA to a quarantine faulty for 14 Days. Even if you test negative they will hold you until that term is complete finished. Only then could you pick up the letter and begin the process of establishing a bank account and Medical Checkup. You will be expected to pay for all the expenses of the 14 Day "holiday in quarantine"

Does anyone know the current status for new MM2H applications, especially given Covid-19 situation?  Are new applications accepted now?  Any reply much appreciated.
Steve Smith

Hi there.  There is a separate thread on this ("Any MM2H Since Cov-19?").

Agreed cancelled my 2nd trip. Will have to wait until.......how long will they hold my MM2h approval extension for?

1openmind wrote:

Agreed cancelled my 2nd trip. Will have to wait until.......how long will they hold my MM2h approval extension for?

That, is the $64,000 question that everyone wants to have answered.  My agent says it is fluid right now so just sit tight and wait for whatever policy they come up with.  To me, another 6 months AFTER the borders are open fully with no mandatory quarantining would be fair.  But, that is coming from a wishful thinking American...

I'm 50 in a few years and I'm still working, but would like to do the MM2H program.  I'm confused by the limitation of the program about working only part-time but also meeting the monthly income requirement.  I am based in the USA and can work remotely from anyway.  Can I keep my job until I'm 50 and use my salary as income proof?

From my understanding is that they use the current income so even if you could not work remotely they would still use your current income

You can apply under 50 income is the same but the fixed deposit will be a lot more.

The critical restraint is that you cannot work in Malaysia. For the application process you can, of course, use your current income. And Malaysia has yet to establish a system for on-line taxation for work with an external employer or external sources of income.

The main concern for the government is that you are not taking away work from a Malaysian for work that they could do.

It has been suggested that you bank any income abroad to comply with this provision of not "working in" Malaysia. Some other areas you also may want to avoid is to not make sales to Malaysian companies, not go around looking for customers or suppliers in Malaysia.

The 25% Part Time work IN MALAYSIA provision is extremely limited (only certain employment sectors, the employer is required to seek Malaysian applicants, etc.) to the point where MM2H almost never grants it. It's essentially a fiction...bait-and-switch. They tell anyone that really gets a job offer in Malaysia to drop their MM2H visa and apply instead for an employment visa.

As you are currently under 50 you will have to show a substantially higher asset amount in the  Application procedure than if you waited until you were 50. As well, once accepted an under 50 applicant must post a substantially higher Fixed Deposit (RM350,000) vs. (RM150,000) 50 years of age and older. You can withdraw some of that FD for Malaysian health care, car or property purchase, children's educational needs (in Malaysia, not abroad) .

One has to maintain RM100K in the account (or RM150K for under 50).

So an under 50 can withdraw up to RM200K  from the FD; an over 50 (with a lower deposit in the first instance) can use RM50K.

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/app … quirements

cinnamonape wrote:

The critical restraint is that you cannot work in Malaysia. For the application process you can, of course, use your current income. And Malaysia has yet to establish a system for on-line taxation for work with an external employer or external sources of income.

The main concern for the government is that you are not taking away work from a Malaysian for work that they could do.

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/app … quirements

Thanks cinnamonape.  This is what I was curious to know.  I wouldn't be working with any companies in Malaysia, as my work is just for North America.  As for the higher deposits, that's no problem.

Overall, everything looks very good and I'm keen to apply.  My only question is how long it takes for the process these days.  I've heard a range from 3 months to 6 months, and I don't know if an agent can really accelerate that.  Direct application seems simple enough, so I would probably go that route unless there are some quite tricky bits.

amrando wrote:

My only question is how long it takes for the process these days.  I've heard a range from 3 months to 6 months, and I don't know if an agent can really accelerate that.  Direct application seems simple enough, so I would probably go that route unless there are some quite tricky bits.

Hi
I did that 2 years ago. The confirmation email of their approval arrived almost 6 months later.  I can imagine that these days under Covid-19, it might even take longer.  After the confirmation, I had 6 months to land and finalize the process in Malaysia: getting a favourable medical report, setting up a fixed deposit, insurance, etc. Note that the approval letter itself is not a guarantee that you will get the 10-year visa.
Direct application or with agent, you have to do most of the tasks yourself.  I did it all by myself, and did not think that an agent would have added any value.  Just make sure that you are aware of any changes of requirements that they make from time to time.  Announcements of changes are usually put on their website.  And you can always contact the responsible team by email or phone to clarify the application requirements.

People track the amount of time that it's taken on the MM2H Penang Facebook Site. For a brief period of time it seemed they got the backlog down to a 6 month wait...then it went up again to 8 months.

A recent applicant just got her notice from her agent that she received approval 3 months ago...but notification was delayed for 3 months. So it took her application 8 months to approval plus 3 months delay because nobody was around to send the approvals out (11 months total). Now they'll probably clear the already approved backlog quickly...but no one was doing any other work on processing applications for three months...so I suspect that it will be almost a year to wait for approval.

Not saying its 100% correct but I received slightly different information from my agent in KL.  As you mentioned the backlog went down to about six months as my agent received approvals in early February for some applicants who applied in June and July.  However, again according to my agent, the approval process stopped February 4 or about six weeks before the MCO.  Therefore, it didn't really go back up to eight months.  MOTAC started the process again on May 6.  So a three month hiatus.   

Since early May Motac has been processing applications but I was recently told by my agent that MCALs would not be sent until the travel ban has been lifted which makes sense.  So it raises an eyebrow to hear that someone just got her notice.  How is she going to enter the country?  Perhaps MOTAC has started notifying applicants but is withholding the MCAL until the borders open up?           

Since the RMCO doesn't end until August 31, the earliest the travel ban will be lifted is September 1.  But given the cautious nature of the government I'm not sure that's in the cards.  Maybe an exception will be made for those who receive their MCALs (hopefully).  Regardless, it looks like the wait time (to actually receiving the MCAL) will be at least 13-14 months for those who applied in late July/August of last year.  I applied in late November.  If MOTAC starts mailing the MCALs in September (slightly staggered to clear a lot of the backlog like they did last year) it's possible I could receive my MCAL in October which equals an 11 month wait.  But I'm not counting on that.  As I mentioned, the government at this time seems committed to a slow re-opening of the borders.

I'm just passing on what the woman said about her application...it was, according to her approved by the Committee on March 14, just days before the MCO took effect. Presumably she caught the last Committee approval.

Perhaps the agent didn't have any approvals in that "tranche" and so believed that the last Committee meeting was in February???

I have no reason to doubt the woman's claim.

You are of course correct that receiving an approval would pose problems if they don't start allowing people back in (I get the impression she is ALREADY IN, however - perhaps that is why her letter was not held back?).

One possible solution is to simply extend the date required to submit the final materials until several months after the RMCO ends/or whenever tourists are allowed in again (without quarantine). Of course I suspect that the QT requirement will only be dropped for travelers from "Green States" first...that means those from Yellow or Red States may have to wait some time. So someone from Korea or Taiwan could come in in a few weeks, while someone from Sweden, the UK or USA might have to wait months.

Another possible solution is to allow travelers (even before other tourists) in that have an application approved for MM2H and need to complete their health-check and submission to obtain the visa. The same "Zone" permissions to avoid QT might be applied. For others perhaps allow them to enter with QT ("home" if possible) and have everything done after they complete that.

Ok, I think I might understand what happened.  I assumed MOTAC shut down in early February since that was the last time MCALs were released.  However, the decision not to release MCALs was probably made in March prior to the MCO.  In the meantime, MOTAC (w/o notifying approved applicants) continued on until March 18 when the MCO was established and resumed on May 6.  On March 31, my agent wrote, "The last time the Immigration released the MM2H Conditional Approval Letters (MCAL) was in the first week of February 2020.  The approvals were for those submitted in July, June or earlier months."  It seems the woman on FB just missed that cut (I'm guessing she submitted her application during the latter half of July 2019).   That said, it's intriguing that she recently received her MCAL.  Yes, maybe you are right and she's already in Malaysia.  Good for her. 

I thought I might get lucky because I am a resident of Japan one of the green countries.  However, I am not a citizen.  it's going to be disappointing if Malaysia treats me as if I live in the U.S. which I think will be the case given what I've read recently.  Time will tell.

Thanks for sharing the information about the women on FB.  It's good to know.

It does seem that she is out of the country after all. Poor memory...getting old. Also note that an earlier applicant HAS NOT received her email (through her agent).

Here's a Summary of the discussion. I've excised the names. I've cut out some side conversations that were not relevant as well. I hope that you can follow this.

S**** ~   "Mine was approved on March 14th apparently, and I received my approval letter last week (almost 3 months later). This doesn't entirely answer your question, but they ARE sending out approval letters now. Someone is in the office working!"
H***~    "S**** when did you apply your MM2H?"
N**** ~  "S**** is the approval date on the letter Mar 14th? Just wondering if you have 6 months to enter from Mar 14th or if it's from now when you received the approval letter?"
S****    "I applied on August 15th, 2019.... I received the letter on June 7th via a text message from my agent, since I am out of the country. The approval date says March 14th. Then it clearly states that I have 6 months from the approval date to finish the process (which would be Sept 14th and RMCO is until Aug 31). I've emailed Immigration per my agent's suggestion, but they have not yet responded. They'll have to either let me back in or extend the 6 month timeline..."

N****   "yikes. Good luck! Everything is v complicated at the moment it seems."
A*****    "Yikes indeed! I am glad mine is not approved yet though it has been short of 11 months now. (July 29, 2019). Troubling and confusing times."
S****    "Are you sure it hasn't been approved? I applied a couple of weeks after you."
A*****   "Yes, I am sure as the agent has not notified me and I also checked online."
E****   "Congratulation!! Would you tell first 3 digits of your reference number as a reference?"
S****    "443xx"
J*****     "So August 16, 2019 submission > March 14th Approval (7 months) + June 6th notification (3 months).
S****    "Yes"

By MCAL do you mean the Conditional Letter of Acceptance?

Yes, that's right, MCAL is the MM2H Conditional Approval Letter. 

Thank you for posting the FB conversation.  Same questions/responses I would have asked/had. :-)  It seems that she (Sarah...just a guess) is living in Malaysia but like many went back to her home country for a while.  It may explain why she received her MCAL while others have not.  There's a retired couple who sometimes posts on this Forum and they told me they applied in August 2019 too but haven't heard anything yet.  So Sarah gets approved but before the MCAL is sent MOTAC shuts down due to the MCO.  MOTAC resumes May 6 but a month goes by before she receives her letter.  Unfortunate timing but I'm sure she'll work it out with immigration.  In the meantime until I hear otherwise I am going to assume the rest of us are still stuck until the borders open. 

Please keep us posted if you hear/read anything else.  Cheers.

For me it was just a renewal application.  Mine expired late last year and I went over to Putrajaya and got an extension within a day.  Nothing changed; no extra conditions added.

Now that it is under Immigration, I hope things will not change.

Best way to just to take a drive to Putrajaya and find our for yourself.

Regards
Victor

Hi,

I just received a letter from Malaysia Immigration saying that my parents dependent visa has been approved and must present at Immigration office at Putrajaya to collect.
The thing is, both my parents now are in Indonesia.
Does anyone here have the same situation like me? Could my parents enter Malaysia? subject DGIM approval?

Hi Victor
I have to go for mm2h visa renewal
Did you fix an appointment?
How did you fix an appointment?
T h anks

Caesar

caesar1956 wrote:

Hi Victor
I have to go for mm2h visa renewal
Did you fix an appointment?
How did you fix an appointment?
T h anks

Caesar

U have to make appointment online. Through a system.

lodylody wrote:

Hi,

I just received a letter from Malaysia Immigration saying that my parents dependent visa has been approved and must present at Immigration office at Putrajaya to collect.
The thing is, both my parents now are in Indonesia.
Does anyone here have the same situation like me? Could my parents enter Malaysia? subject DGIM approval?

Now foreigners without existing long term visa and valid reason still not able to come into Malaysia until further notice.

Please be informed the MM2H Immigration Unit has been transferred to the Immigration Department of Malaysia Headquarter starting 6th July 2020.

Therefore, any Immigration related issues may be pursue directly with the Immigration Department of Malaysia at its headquarter. The address is as follow:

MM2H Immigration Unit
Visa, Pass and Permit Division
Immigration Department of Malaysia
No. 15, Level 2
Persiaran Perdana, Presint 2,
62550, Putrajaya

Contact Number : 03-8880 1475
Email : [email protected]

You are required to make an appointment via http://sto.imi.gov.my/e-temujanji/

Hi every one :) I read this about extension of conditional approval letter. You can find it in mm2h official web site.....www.mm2h.gov.my

MINISTRY OF TOURISM, ARTS AND CULTURE MALAYSIA
EXTENSION OF MALAYSIA MY SECOND HOME (MM2H) CONDITIONAL APPROVAL LETTER THAT EXPIRED DURING MOVEMENT CONTROL ORDER (MCO)
1. According to the endorsement procedure of Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) Pass, approved applicant is require to complete the remaining conditions stated in the Conditional Approval Letter and perform the endorsement of the MM2H Pass within six (6) months from the date of the letter.
2. However, due to the current travel restriction imposed by the Government of Malaysia, foreigners of certain categories are still not allowed to enter Malaysia during the Movement Control Order (MCO) period. This restriction also applies to the approved applicant of MM2H Program. Therefore, Immigration Department of Malaysia has decided to give extension to the Conditional Approval Letter for a period of three (3) months.
3. The request for an extension can be made within three (3) months after Government of Malaysia ended the MCO and after the border are reopened to foreigner. The approved applicant/sponsor is required to submit the request for the extension of the Conditional Approval Letter to MM2H Unit, Visa, Pass and Permit Division, Immigration Department of Malaysia. The required documents are as follows:
i. Letter of Intent;
ii. A copy of Conditional Approval Letter; and
iii. A copy of Passport Particular Page
4. For further inquiries, please write to [email protected]. Thank you.
Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture Malaysia (MOTAC) 23rd September 2020

2. However, due to the current travel restriction imposed by the Government of Malaysia, foreigners of certain categories are still not allowed to enter Malaysia during the Movement Control Order (MCO) period. This restriction also applies to the approved applicant of MM2H Program. Therefore, Immigration Department of Malaysia has decided to give extension to the Conditional Approval Letter for a period of three (3) months.
3. The request for an extension can be made within three (3) months after Government of Malaysia ended the MCO and after the border are reopened to foreigner. The approved applicant/sponsor is required to submit the request for the extension of the Conditional Approval Letter to MM2H Unit, Visa, Pass and Permit Division, Immigration Department of Malaysia. The required documents are as follows:

Does this mean that I can ask for extension in March. As they say they will open the border in 1-1-21.. So then I would have 3 months after that? Not sure exactly on this.

That's the way I understand this statement. But you should probably send an email and let us know...
Usually, Malaysian authorities statements are not very clear...

That's the way I read it as well.

That is IF they open the borders generally on January 1...there is no guarantee that they will. They may extend the MCO even further.

"2. However, due to the current travel restriction imposed by the Government of Malaysia, foreigners OF CERTAIN CATEGORIES are still not allowed to enter Malaysia during the Movement Control Order (MCO) period. This restriction also applies to the approved applicant of MM2H Program. Therefore, Immigration Department of Malaysia has decided to give extension to the Conditional Approval Letter for a period of three (3) months.
3. The request for an extension can be made within three (3) months after Government of Malaysia ended the MCO and after the border are REOPENED TO FOREIGNER."

Thus some nationalities who are still denied entry at that time may postpone even later.

It all depends if the grammatically vague "REOPENED TO FOREIGNER" means ALL Foreigners, SOME Foreigners, or the specific class and country of foreigner denied entry i.e. "THE FOREIGNER" with the Conditional Letter that cannot re-enter. Hopefully those are who the extension applies towards.

If your country is still experiencing high infection rates then they may still have movement restriction in force even after the MCO. Until travelers from THAT country has been granted admission then it may be 3 months from when THEIR restriction is lifted. It wouldn't help very many people if they kept restrictions on countries that had reached 150,000 deaths, for example....while letting a relatively small number of small countries to come in (Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan).

I'm assuming the best. Worry about it later.

Thanks for the update CA.

I don't mind waiting to complete the mm2h. I'd like to travel next summer when the little one gets out of school. My wife wants to live 3 months in a place before we move. That's kind of a dilemma I can't take off 3 months from work and keep my job. But I could quit and return home and sell everything and then come back.
Just want to make sure once I decide to do it, we're sure that's where we want to live.

Bit confused Openmind...are you yet to apply for the MM2H? In which case the extension is irrelevant....or do you already have your Sarawak or Peninsular MM2H and need the extension.

Sarawak MM2H is necessary to live in Sarawak, though one can live in the Peninsula as well on that visa. Peninsular MM2H (which is being refashioned so nobody knows what the new rules will be) is only good for the Peninsula...not Sarawak or Sabah.

I have the approval for the MM2H. I was thinking of not getting the approval finalized. I am
Wondering if the new rules will
Apply to the past approvals for the FD. I don't like the idea of holding FD for $75k approximately vs $35k. In which case I would not follow through with the mainland. I like the idea of the lesser expensive international schools in Sarawak.
In which case I don't know how that would work. If we did get the mainland and then wanted to switch it to the Sarawak
Later? I am over 50.