Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H)

Update
Submitted application through agent in K.L. March 19, 2019.
Conditional letter of approval received October 29.  Agent sent me copy but original will receive upon being in K.L. to finish other requirements.
Time to finish all requirements is until April 29, 2020.

Agent is arranging bank account opening with preapproval, and meeting me at bank, arranging for money changer to come to bank as I am taking the initial amount of money to open account and do the fixed deposit requirement.  She is also arranging the medical insurance for my wife (under 60) and a waiver for me as above 60.
Arranging for medical checkup too.  Very efficient.

Has anyone taken into Malaysia cash over usd 10,000 and declared it to customs.  Agent has recommended if I wish to do that, I just have to fill out Customs form 22 and attach the copy of the conditional letter of approval. 
Looks like we should be all done with the visa stamped in our passports by the end of our trip for 8 nights in January.
Next trip will be more relaxed  and to get a long term rental condo.

ezfeelin

You are going to bring @ US$38,000 in cash! Legally you can bring that amount if you declare it to both the US Customs and the Malaysian Customs authorities but it doesn't sound very secure.

https://transferwise.com/gb/blog/taking … of-america

I wouldn't recommend thatZ besides the exchange fee will still
Be the same.  Or very secure and very risky with CBP and TSA. They confiscated a guys money in Cleveland $58k he was using to buy a house overseas. Took him
Months to get it back. He was labeled a drug trafficker. Money laundering all kinds of false BS.

January 23, 2020

Whew  Finally all done with MM2H.  Flew into KL with cash dollars, declared it to customs, took all of 5 minutes.  Next day met agent at bank, spent around 4 hours, opened account, fixed deposits, ATM/Debit card, application for credit card to be received within 30 days.  Only thing left is to get a copy of the rental lease when I get it as I used by friends address. Also got a local sim card.

Same day agent took me to klinic next door, got medical checkup for wife and I.  Also insurance agent showed up, bought insurance for the wife for one year as I have waiver due to over 60.

Next day agent said to arrive at MM2H office in Putrajaya early and be prepared to be there most of the day.  Later she said we could arrive at office at 10.30 am instead, as she was going to be there early in the morning  Gave her our passports and the fees.  Showed up at office at 10.30, waited in the lobby downstairs until 11.30 and agent came and handed us our passports with the social pass/visa in both our passports. Since our f/d are joint, she asked us to make sure to get a will made for each of us to protect these just in case.

Agent was way efficient from day one, and worth every penny we paid her, at least to us.  Getting the documentation ready, took us about 2 months starting Dec 2019 to start compiling the package.  we went to KL with final package March 2019 and agent submitted to mm2h.  Got final conditional approval end of Oct 2019, and now in January got the permit in our passports

Now going back to KL early Feb to seek out a condo to rent, already found an airbnb in the very same new condo buildings we want to rent long term in.  So airbnb for three weeks and find that highrise condo in the sky 15 minutes from the hustle and bustle of KLCC.

Very happy its all done.
ez

Congratulations on getting it all done. ;-)

May I ask who your agent was?

Last month, we went to KL and collected our approval letter, opened bank account, did medical check, transferred money to new bank account via Instarem (very good experience, took about 2 working days), arranged fixed deposit, and finally went to MM2H office again to collect our visa (waited there for 7.5 hours! A guy arrived at 6am and got his visa by 10:30am. We arrived at 6:45am and got ours at 2:30pm). After that we went to the immigration department in Putrajaya for registration of the airport E-gate service.

Forgotten to set up our Wills, will need to do that in the next trip.

ezfeelin wrote:

January 23, 2020

Whew  Finally all done with MM2H.  Flew into KL with cash dollars, declared it to customs, took all of 5 minutes.  Next day met agent at bank, spent around 4 hours, opened account, fixed deposits, ATM/Debit card, application for credit card to be received within 30 days.  Only thing left is to get a copy of the rental lease when I get it as I used by friends address. ...

Thanks ezfeelin for the report! For what purpose do you need the copy of rental lease??

I used a friend's mailing address at the bank so on my record this is only a temporary address where they will mail my credit card when it is ready.

Once i sign a year lease on a condo, then i just deliver a copy of the rental agreement to the bank where they update my account information.

thanks

Thanks! does it mean that you cannot open a bank account w/o having a rental lease contract? I'm interested to know which kind of documentation will satisfy the bank to proof that your residency is in Malaysia (banks are forced by compliance to check your residency). I know that generally utility bills (electricity, internet etc.) are requested/accepted.

I had to have my Conditional Letter of Approval issued by mm2h. This is the most important document.

Also we had to provide the following:

Contact PhoneNumber (abroad) :     
Local Mobile Number: (You need to obtain the local mobile number upon arrival in KL)
Email address:                             
Permanent Address:                 
Mailing Address in Malaysia:                             
Next of Kin Details: (Please provide Name, Phone number & email address)
For retirees, please state the details of last employment listed below:
Monthly Income:
Company's name & Address:
Company's Telephone No.:
TIN Reference : Country & Tax Identification numbers (for both husband & wife)

also

h) For opening of bank accounts with your selected bank, you must submit copy of your Income Tax Returns with TIN Reference from the US.
(for both husband & wife if you plan to open joint-name accounts with spouse)

In case this info is useful to you, I have opened bank accounts this month at HSBC and Hong Leong Bank with my Hong Kong addresses and the proof of address. They allow overseas addresses.

Hello and thanks for the information on HSBC. Are you using HSBC in Malaysia as the bank for your MM2H deposit/banking? I'm in the "process" now and currently have an HSBC account in the UK where I'm a resident.

Why have you chosen HSBC?

Yes. Using it as for the MM2H deposit.

I use HSBC because their rate for 5 year fixed deposit was not bad at 3.9%.

With the virus issue in Asia, I am wondering if the Malaysia Immigration Office will now allow an extension on the 6 months max period to finalize all visa paperwork?  I need to ask Alter Domus.

That sure would be nice!

beleebala wrote:

Yes. Using it as for the MM2H deposit.

Thanks for your confirmation on this. This is great to know for easing our transition to KL.

The law on duty free car is null and void

Alliance Bank

Effective Rate:  3.95% p.a. 3 months / 3.90% p.a. 6 months
Minimum: RM 10,000
Maximum: RM 50,000
Tenure: 3 months / 6 months
Offer period: 23 January 2020 to 31 March 2020

Please help.
I cannot find anywere answer on my simple question: can I submit required MM2H documents to the MM2H center via courier service like DHL, FedEx, etc. but without physically visited MM2H counter in Malaysia?
Thank you.

No you cannot. Have to be in person.

Hello Beleebala,

Thanks for sharing some information about MM2H visa.
Sorry to ask but you said you went to immigration office for "Airport e-gate service".
What is it? Is it necessary for every one?
Thank you very much for your kind advice.

Hello Victorov,

Yes you can. If you want to apply directly for MM2H, you can prepare the requested documents and send them by postal service(DHL, TNT,...) to MM2H office, as I did.

Superman911 wrote:

Hello Victorov,

Yes you can. If you want to apply directly for MM2H, you can prepare the requested documents and send them by postal service(DHL, TNT,...) to MM2H office, as I did.

O! Great! And what is your submittion status now? Or you already got MM2H visa?

serg_victorov wrote:
Superman911 wrote:

Hello Victorov,

O! Great! And what is your submittion status now? Or you already got MM2H visa?

superman911, sorry, right question is: how many time is elapsed from courier's successfully sent to moment when status changed to something like "documents submitted" ?

Hello Serg-Vitorov,

From the date That I sent my documents to MM2H office by TNT , it took about 3 weeks they
gave me a registered MM2H number. And it took about a year that my application is approved.

Superman911 wrote:

Hello Serg-Vitorov,

From the date That I sent my documents to MM2H office by TNT , it took about 3 weeks they
gave me a registered MM2H number. And it took about a year that my application is approved.

Oh! any thoughts why so long - 1 year ?

Wow, MM2H counters closed through April 30th...

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia … 30/1846753

That's interesting as I was approved on November 30th. And we we're scheduled to come there March 5 but the airlines canceled all flights. So I had no choice but to cancel the trip. Anyway my visa approval
Will expire April 30th. Now what will they do?
I have new tickets booked again for July.
Wonder if I can get extension? They dragged their feet for too long 11 month approval process. I had the trip scheduled in May last year and we applied in January. That wasn't too smart, but we got to see the country and experience the
Culture. Now I think
We
Just might do the Sarawak mm2h as it's much better faster and less requirements.

New Minister of Tourism Nancy Shukri "said new MM2H applications must be submitted via post while other applications including savings withdrawal or closing out account could be made through email at [email protected]

For applications involving payments at the Immigration counter at MM2H centre, the applicants should make appointments with Immigration officers in advance, she said.

“All new application endorsements will be postponed. Those who have further queries can call the centre at 03-8891 7424,” she added.

Nancy also said the temporary closure of the counters at MM2H centre would not affect the MM2H programme's related matters as alternative procedures have been put in place."

I'd suggest calling them to see if current MM2H pass applications will receive an automatic extension.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia … 30/1846753

In the current lockdown are they allowing MM2H holders back in the country? I can find nothing about this anywhere.

I read that foreign nationals are currently not being allowed to enter Malaysia under the current restricted travel rules and that the MM2H visa was not an exemption to that rule. Advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.....

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic … oronavirus

Unfortunately, I have the opposite problem. I'm stuck in Malaysia unable to get home to the UK and Emirates have cancelled our flights. We arrived on 16th January with the intention of applying for the MM2H visa and stay with my Malaysian wifes family until 16th April. The visa application has been accepted after a minor blip but three days later I was taken I'll and ended up in hospital for emergency surgery on 13th March. Thankfully, I am well down the road to full recovery and never dreamed that retirement could be so exciting!!! 😂

I am concerned that I will become an overstayer on 17th April but hope that the Malaysian Immigration Department take the same sensible route of extending stranded foreign nationals visas for a month to enable flights to be rearranged after multiple lock downs are lifted. I'm fortunate that I'm not at the mercy of a hotel and running up a bill, staying with family, but these certainly are worrying times!!

To answer my own question. No we are not.
If you are a MM2H holder stranded outside Malaysia write  to Andy and get your name on the list:
https://www.thestar.com.my/opinion/lett … arsely-api

Thanks @all for contributing! The behavior in these circumstances remind us that the MM2H is not a permanent residency but it is only a "multiple-entry social visit pass" and therefore it's holders are being treated in the current crisis like any other "social visitors".

When you sell everything and relocate with 10 yr pass. They should allow
MM2H holders back
In. That's not fair one bit? If I do relocate I will not have a home any place else except Malaysia.
This is another pitfall with this program. I wonder if Thailand and the Philippines who have similar programs are denying entry to these types of visa holders.

Godzvilla wrote:

I read that foreign nationals are currently not being allowed to enter Malaysia under the current restricted travel rules and that the MM2H visa was not an exemption to that rule. Advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office.....

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advic … oronavirus

Unfortunately, I have the opposite problem. I'm stuck in Malaysia unable to get home to the UK and Emirates have cancelled our flights. We arrived on 16th January with the intention of applying for the MM2H visa and stay with my Malaysian wifes family until 16th April. The visa application has been accepted after a minor blip but three days later I was taken I'll and ended up in hospital for emergency surgery on 13th March. Thankfully, I am well down the road to full recovery and never dreamed that retirement could be so exciting!!! 😂

I am concerned that I will become an overstayer on 17th April but hope that the Malaysian Immigration Department take the same sensible route of extending stranded foreign nationals visas for a month to enable flights to be rearranged after multiple lock downs are lifted. I'm fortunate that I'm not at the mercy of a hotel and running up a bill, staying with family, but these certainly are worrying times!!

Hi Godzvilla,

One way you could do is proceed to immigration at Putrajaya to get your tourist visa extend, they are able to do it , renew for another  90 days. ( they just put on a sticker on your passport). I did it 4 or 5 yrs ago when I am about to Go Bangkok from KL, taking LRT to KL sentral  And my wallet was picked pocket. Luckily not my passport, but all my cash and cards were stolen, so unable to proceed with the trip. After made a police report, while waiting my bank in US to send me a new card, I just try my luck to Putrajaya immigration office and tell them my story, to be honest, they are very friendly to the tourists especially caucasian. But spent whole day there, from morning until I think about 4pm. ( long wait to get your turn to be served, there r many people there to do maybe work permit or other related issues, then they will tell you to come back after lunch to get back the passport.

So you could go there maybe on 15 April, but advise you to go as early as you could, because is the first day after the locked down, most likely will be very very packed.

But that is my experience in 4-5 yrs ago, I do not know the procedures now, maybe you could check online about the immigration website In regard of renewing tourist visa.

Good luck.

Thanks for replying.

I have been in contact with the F&CO who have a Twitter feed UKinMalaysia which gives a lot of useful and up to date advice. It would appear that Air Malaysia are still operating direct flights from KL to Heathrow and Manchester airports. Also, there will be an extension of 14 days to a visa following the lifting if the Movement Restriction Order.

All useful for helping me make a decision on what best to do. The overriding factor in all this is that I am 60 with a weakened immune system. Travel is going to put me at risk and while I am currently safe, I don't feel in any rush to go anywhere!

Hello 1openmind,

.........about EXTENSION of conditional approval letter.
My conditional approval letter will expire on 29 April. I was in KL on 22 March. Did RBII in Dr. Goh
office, stamp security bond form and bought medical insurance. But for fixed deposit, because we are from sanctioned countries, it takes longer time to approve (at least 2 weeks). So, we got back to our country and then Covid-19 comes to the scene!!! 

Well, as everybody knows, no flights to KL or even not allowed to go there or anywhere.
On MOTAC  malaysia web site you can find an email address for Covid-19 problems which means it works for MM2H too.
I wrote to this email address and today I got an email from MOTAC which gives me an Extension.
To tell you the truth, I think they give everybody an extension, because as they said, it is a pandemic issue. But to be sure, better to write to them and get a permission.

Hi Guys !

I'm 34 years guy, Muslim, I am very interested in the mm2h program, I say this because I have been living and working here for almost 2 years (still under EP), actually I have a company in Labuan (all my business is outside Malaysia) and since I am a director and unique shareholder I have a 2 years work permit, I've read about the requirements for those under 50 years old and one of them is to have an income of 10k/ month, as the director of the company I comply with, but of course the company in Labuan is considered Malaysian so not taken into account, but for the rest i meet all the requirements and much more, I have my Investments here
Medical insurance
Life insurance at 15 years
I am already studying Bahasa
I can demonstrate that I can stay for more than 10 years here without working

I'm going to close my Labuan's company next year and cancel the EP, so I'd like to apply for the mm2h visa
According to your experience and according to what I have told you above, can I get the approval knowing that I do not meet the income 10k / month condition? Your opinions/suggestions will help me a lot

Thank you in advance