Guardian visa

Hello Forum, I was told by a friend that we could move to Malaysia, enroll the kids into school and apply for guardian visa for the parents.
We've got 3 kids aged 8,6,3.5, please advise if we will both get the guardian visa or only one?
We are flying in on the 13th August and my friend tells me today that only the mother will be allowed for the guardian visa 🙄
Thank in advance

never heard of it,,,

You need to show considerable amount of offshore income to get that sort of visa and you cant work in Malaysia with that visa (there are hardly any jobs here any more anyway for foreigners). Yes, there is only need for one Guardian in visa terms.

So do bring all your paperwork showing your monthly income. You will need proof of it from your employer as well as providing bank statements. You will need all sorts of other paperwork including examination certificates, work exprience documents. Degrees, etc. etc. A CV showing your career.

You have to enrol your kids in international or private schools (no local government education is given to foreigners).  That means the education alone will probably cost you RM2000 per month per child.  You will need about RM10,000 per month to live in Malaysia and NO POSSIBILITY to get work with that visa.

The school gives you a letter saying you have enrolled your child/ren and then you apply for a Student Visa for each of them.  Usually one parent only is given a guardian visa. The other parent is usually expected to be working somewhere other than Malaysia to provide the monthly income required to support the family.

This is not the way to migrate to Malaysia. If you are over 55 there is the Malaysia My Second Home Visa. But for that you have to show liquid assets of RM350,000 and a monthly income.

Can a 24 years boy apply for guardian visa for his father?

I have a better choice for the kids and both of the parents...

The guardian visa is for the parent of a child that is studying in Malaysia.  As the name of the visa suggests, the child has not reached the age of majority i.e. 18 years.

EMGS provides details of this:
https://educationmalaysia.gov.my/how-to-apply.html (see under Dependent Pass).

All postgraduate students enrolled in Public and Private Universities are eligible to apply for dependant passes on behalf of their families.

Undergraduate Students who are studying for their Bachelor's Degree will only be eligible to apply for dependant passes on behalf of their families if they are citizens of the following countries:

1. Saudi Arabia
2. Bahrain
3. United Arab Emirates (UAE)
4. Turkey
5. Qatar
6. Azerbaijan
7. Palestinian Territories
8. Kuwait
9. Yemen
10. Iran
11. Syria
12. Oman
13. Jordan
14. Lebanon
15. Iraq
16. Libya
17. Maldives

Hi! Everyone. I need your advice please. Is Guardian Visa able to work outside Malaysia? Like Singapore... Thank you

Anyone holding a Guardian Visa can probably work online (i.e. offshore income) but the whole point of the visa is to care for children attending school in Malaysia. Only one parent gets a Guardian Visa. This would make it impossible to look after the children and work in Singapore.

Dear Gravitas,
Appreciated your response...👍
My concern for now if my wife is the Guardian, Is Malaysian Immigration will hold my wife if she's going in/out of Malaysia to Singapore? We can ask our friend to help us look after my child after school. However if the school needs my wife to be present in any meetings or school activities as a Guardian, she's able to attend to it. The rules that Guardian can't work applies only in Malaysia? As long as we have a valid working visa in Singapore?

Can you please tell us more 😉

Hi! I'm facing some issues applying for a guardian pass while working in Singapore as well and would love to hear if anyone was able to successfully apply for it in a similar suitation.

My son is in Sunway International and i have my own biz which is registered in Singapore. I only need to go to Singapore during the hours when my son is in school so I am able to live and look after him in Malaysia while still working in Singapore.

Reading the government's website I was under the impression that it would be possible to obtain a guardian visa as long as the guardian does not work in Malaysia.

However, i have just been informed by my son's school, that a guardian visa for is only granted to someone if there is another spouse who lives and works out of Malaysia. As i am divorced and have full care and control of my son, that option is not possible for me.

I'm wondering if the school is wrong in their information and would be grateful for any advice on which department/ office location that i can actually go to to speak to someone who can give me accurate information. 

Thanks in advance!

Did you get this resolved??? I'd
Be interested as I am interested as I am in a similar position now. Thanks!

Hi!  I'm the Admissions Director at an American international school in the Klang Valley and I saw your question...

Yes, you can get a guardian visa, But you can only get one per family - and it is "always" given to the mother.  You will also have to enroll you 3.5 year old in school as well (or send him/her on visa runs with dad) as he/she will not qualify for a visa otherwise. 

Good Luck!

TobyIsabelle wrote:

Hi! I'm facing some issues applying for a guardian pass while working in Singapore as well and would love to hear if anyone was able to successfully apply for it in a similar suitation.

My son is in Sunway International and i have my own biz which is registered in Singapore. I only need to go to Singapore during the hours when my son is in school so I am able to live and look after him in Malaysia while still working in Singapore.

Reading the government's website I was under the impression that it would be possible to obtain a guardian visa as long as the guardian does not work in Malaysia.

However, i have just been informed by my son's school, that a guardian visa for is only granted to someone if there is another spouse who lives and works out of Malaysia. As i am divorced and have full care and control of my son, that option is not possible for me.

I'm wondering if the school is wrong in their information and would be grateful for any advice on which department/ office location that i can actually go to to speak to someone who can give me accurate information. 

Thanks in advance!

I work in K-12 (Primary/Secondary), but you should be able to get the Guardian Visa. My only worry is that if your son is considered an adult, can you still qualify...)  Since you are divorced, you will have to prove that you can support yourself financially with 5 months of bank statements totaling more than the equivalent of RM5000.  You will also have to have a permanent address in Malaysia (sign a lease, own property, or have a really good friend/relative willing to let you live with them and use their address).

@ Soni949
15 September 2018 12:30:05

You mentioned that you have an alternative?

"I have a better choice for the kids and both of the parents..."

Soni949 wrote:

I have a better choice for the kids and both of the parents...

You mentioned that you have an alternative?

Hi, can i know what the option is?

So is it possible for two kids to enroll under one parent and the other kid under the other parent?

Zafarhash wrote:

So is it possible for two kids to enroll under one parent and the other kid under the other parent?

Only 1 Guardian visa per family is possible

The other parent is expected to be residing outside Malaysia earning a living and supporting the family. The spouse on the Guardian visa is expected to show they are receiving support income. It was RM 3000 per month for one child

It is not possible to work in Malaysia on a Guardian visa.

MM2H is a long term option where the whole family can live in Malaysia and children undergo education.

It's also not possible to work in Malaysia on the MM2H visa. (But investment in a business is possible)

The Sarawak version may be suitable if under 50 yoa and with children as it does not require a certain level of financial means and income.

MM2H has 3 separate programs under Peninsular, Sabah or Sarawak.

@Gravitas,

On a Guardian visa can you move your personal belongings (furniture etc) from your home country to Malaysia? My kids are in school and it will take them many years before they start college and I would like to stay in Malaysia until they complete their school.

Let me know, please. Thanks!

Tanveer,

My family and I came into Malaysia in Oct 2017 (from the UK) with a letter from my daughters school stating she'd been accepted and enrolled. On this letter alone we brought in our furniture and personal possessions around three months after entry. The process was straight forward with no questions asked. Just choose a reputable transport company.

Of course this is just my experience..

All the best!

tanveers wrote:

@Gravitas,

On a Guardian visa can you move your personal belongings (furniture etc) from your home country to Malaysia? My kids are in school and it will take them many years before they start college and I would like to stay in Malaysia until they complete their school.

Let me know, please. Thanks!

Thank you very much, Adam. That's the information I needed. Who do I show the letter to — the immigration officer? At the Klang port? Do we have to pay any import duty? Please advise. Also, can you share with me the moving company name/website that you used?

Thanks!

No problem Tanveers.

The shipping company wanted to see the school letter, other than that, that was it. I presume it became a part of their paperwork for customs clearence. We paid no duty at all. However all the items must be personal and 'household' in nature.

I forget who we used originally but I've heard good things about Royal Relocations (Malaysian based company). https://royalrelocations.com/ +60 3-6157 6777
Well priced and very helpful..

Best of luck!

adam_ant wrote:

No problem Tanveers.

The shipping company wanted to see the school letter, other than that, that was it. I presume it became a part of their paperwork for customs clearence. We paid no duty at all. However all the items must be personal and 'household' in nature.

I forget who we used originally but I've heard good things about Royal Relocations (Malaysian based company). https://royalrelocations.com/ +60 3-6157 6777
Well priced and very helpful..

Best of luck!

Excellent! I will check Royal Relocations. Thanks for all your help, Adam. Seems like a straightforward process.

All the best.

Perhaps when you've gone through the process you could post your experiences on this forum. Others will find it usefull I'm sure.

Enjoy Malaysia!

adam_ant wrote:

All the best.

Perhaps when you've gone through the process you could post your experiences on this forum. Others will find it usefull I'm sure.

Enjoy Malaysia!

I certainly will, Adam. Royal Relocations only do moving from Malaysia and not the other way around. I am searching for another company who do relocation to Malaysia.

Quick question, Adam. I am still in the process of getting a student visa for my kids. Do you get the student and guardian visa in your home country, or you would have to come to Malaysia first to get it? I believe it should be all done remotely.  How was your student and guardian visa processed?

Thanks!

Our visa was processed in Malaysia by the school my daughter was attending. Most of the schools have a person responsible for arranging things although a fee is often applied.

You can do it yourself:
https://www.studyinternational.com/news … -malaysia/

(student international com/news/how-to-secure-a-student-visa-for-malaysia

adam_ant wrote:

Our visa was processed in Malaysia by the school my daughter was attending. Most of the schools have a person responsible for arranging things although a fee is often applied.

You can do it yourself:
https://www.studyinternational.com/news … -malaysia/

(student international com/news/how-to-secure-a-student-visa-for-malaysia

Thanks, Adam. The article states that:

"After you or your host university makes the required payment and submits your documents, you'll receive a Visa Approval Letter (VAL) issued by the Malaysian Immigration Department. Once you have received it, you can make plans to travel to Malaysia."

It seems like the same would be true for International Schools. The school would submit all my documents and assist in getting the Visa Approal Letter (VAL). Is that correct?

@japaneseparsley Hi Can you recommend a trustworthy agent to get a Guardian visa? My daughter is studying five-year degree. Thank you, 

@canisiussovis contact Mr Karrnan ***

Moderated by Bhavna 11 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@GuestPoster269 could you please share the better choice

Hello Ayesha,

Welcome on board !

Please note that Guestposter269 is no longer on the website. What exactly are you looking for ?

Regards

Bhavna

@Zafarhash

One child can apply for one Guardian

Threfore you can have two Guardian Passes in your family

@Soni949  what choice you have better visa types for parenets?

@japaneseparsley

Hi,I have similar question on this issue.

My daughter's mother need to work and we have enough financial support to approve.

However, I was still told by some schools, father can not get guardian pass and seems no chance to try.

Do you know some international school in Penang and KL can help me on this issue?

Thanks so much