Self Employed

Hi, my husband and I have our own financial service company in SA.  We want to move to Mau at the end of this year. We are going to continue to run our SA business in SA and in Mauritius.  My question is can we pull a salary for ourselves from SA to Mau.  And then reside there?

HI Lezelle,
You wish to continue operating your SA business from Mauritius or you will run the business both in SA and Mauritius?
The appropriate visa status, funds remittance rules and tax issues will depend on the answer to the above question. You may send me a message.

Hi Hans,

We've got staff in SA that will carry on running the office in SA and my husband will fly up and down to see clients about 4x times a year.  To visit his clients in SA.  We might register a second business in Mau.  Our business can literally be managed via e-mail.  But for the start we going to draw a salary for ourselves from SA into Mau bank account. Just to find our feet.

Hi Lezelle,
Ok, now I understand the situation better.
I guess you'll be staying here on a residence permit thro' buying an IRS etc.
So, as long as you are legally resident here, there are no restrictions to take in funds from abroad – salary, dividends, royalties etc. The only caveat is that the funds should be from legitimate sources.
But then, don't forget that you'll be chargeable in Mauritius on all your income, while benefiting from the provisions of the double taxation avoidance agreement between SA and Mauritius. You also need to check the withholding tax provisions in SA with regard to remittances abroad.

Hi

I thought it was self employed permit?

Hi Lezelle,
The self-employed occupation permit applies to professionals who want to set shop over here.
If you have employees abroad and you have to fly over to your offices, you will fall under the category of investor.
And based on the tax rates in South Africa, it is clear that you'll end up paying less taxes when you bring your money back to Mauritius. I would advise that you go for a global company license…