Teaching in Mauritius

I am teacher in South Africa. I would like to teach in Mauritius > What is the average salary of a teacher at an International School in Mauritius ( primary school ) Would I be able to live fairly well on this salary. (food, rent, transport, etc 
please get back to me if you have any idea of salaries

thanks
Colleen

In a private school? I think most of the private schools are in french but you should contact these schools?

http://www.ecoledunord.net/article.php3?id_article=51

(you can write in english everybody speaks english here)

Hi Colleen,

Hope this helps. Most of the schools have apparently changed to English medium classes, but the children still converse in French. Not sure what salaries are like.

INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS IN MAURITIUS

Alexandra House School
King George V Avenue,
Floreal,
Mauritius
Phone: +230 696 4108
Fax: +230 696 4108

Clavis Primary School
Mount Ory,
Moka,
Port Louis
Mauritius
Phone: +230 433 4439
Fax: +230 433 4274

International Preparatory School
Village Labourdonnais,
Mapou,
Mauritius
Phone: +230 266 1973
Fax: +230 266 8112

Le Bocage International School
Mount Ory,
Moka,
Port Louis,
Mauritius
Phone: +230 433 0941
Fax: +230 433 4914
Email: [email protected]

Lycee La Bourdonnais
Forest Side,
BP 65,
Curepipe,
Mauritius
Phone: +230 675 1097
Fax: +230 674 3591

Northfield International High School
Labourdonnais Village,
Mapou,
Mauritius
Phone: +230 266 9448
Fax: +230 266 9447
Email: [email protected]

Teachers make peanuts. Inflation on the island is very high. The cost of living is higher than in the US.

Colleen,

There are a couple teachers (JWMapou for instance) that post on this site that should be able to give you better insight in regards to the compensation.  What I do know is that there is a big need for qualified teachers that are good as there is pretty much everywhere in the world.

The pay is probably not going to be very good as that is pretty common everywhere in the world regarding teacher compensation.  There are rumors of a couple of different international English speaking schools coming to the north part of the island within the next couple of years so this will only increase the demand for good teachers and will hopefully result in better wages being offered as well.

In regards to what anna4 wrote about the cost of living in Mauritius being higher than in the US, I have to say that is not true at all.  It may be for some small towns in the middle of nowhere in the US or for particular items such as cars, but it's definitely not true for the vast majority of the US in an overall sense.

Cost of living is quite low in Mauritius compared to many places in the world.  Additionally, quality of life by most accounts for Mauritius ranks very high as well.  Though that is something that is highly subjective and based on a person's own preferences.

As someone else mentioned, get in touch with the schools directly as they should be very interested in finding out more about your qualifications and motivations in coming to Mauritius as there is a shortage of good teachers on the island.

Hello
    There's some useful and interesting information here but I would like to know what an experienced primary school teacher could expect to be paid (after tax?).
   Many thanks

Hi, I'm an unexperienced teacher and I get paid a decent 45000 rs (including a 20000 rs prime because I'm not a Mauritian citizen - and spouses of Mauritians don't get it). BUT it's not enough to afford a car and pay for my French health insurance. However, all my colleagues tried to get jobs at the posh International schools and the salaries were much much lower than what I just said. In fact, they were far from the minimum you have to earn to get a work permit here...

Hi Zoubia, thank you for answering my question.I am quite surprised as you seem to say basically that a fully qualified and experienced primary school teacher hasn't got much of a chance  to survive with a family in Mauritius...Is it really that bad???Should I still try to apply to international schools or is it a waste of time?

If you've got dependants, your salary is higher (well it is at my school). But I can't say by how much!

To be honest the conditions offered by my school are quite good compared to those my teachers abroad had when I was an expat kid.

I'd say you should always apply and see what comes of it!

Hi Zoubia,
Thanks again for your helpful info.The thing is,as I have 3 young children and my wife is still studying for her degree (by distance learning),I have to make sure that we would be able to live on my salary...We do have some savings,but not massive.
What do you think? Could you recommend some good schools where I could apply?
   Thank you kindly

Um, actually, island_life has given a good list there. I guess you might also want to check out the Mauritius Institute of Education. Forget about French schools for now as schoolyear starts in August so they've got all the teachers they need for this year. Well I guess you can always send your CV just in case, if they're interested they'll keep it. Say you could teach English, might be helpful!!

if you experience, y being a teacher?

try same, with a headteacher :)

or.... setup your own school bud :)

with a new sense of teaching & art

cheers,
Islander.

Zoubia wrote:

Hi, I'm an unexperienced teacher and I get paid a decent 45000 rs (including a 20000 rs prime because I'm not a Mauritian citizen - and spouses of Mauritians don't get it). BUT it's not enough to afford a car and pay for my French health insurance. However, all my colleagues tried to get jobs at the posh International schools and the salaries were much much lower than what I just said. In fact, they were far from the minimum you have to earn to get a work permit here...

:D This much money? Wow :P

I

petertheteacher wrote:

Hi Zoubia,
Thanks again for your helpful info.The thing is,as I have 3 young children and my wife is still studying for her degree (by distance learning),I have to make sure that we would be able to live on my salary...We do have some savings,but not massive.
What do you think? Could you recommend some good schools where I could apply?
   Thank you kindly

It would be better for you to make a buget for your whole family first. I don't know your lifestyle but there are mauritian with the same family size as yours who live on 25-30K salary monthly, no other benefits.

If you feel that you will need around 30-40K monthly, try the northfield school as I heard the salary is pretty high but it all depend on qualification & experience accumulated at your homeland.

But I know really few teachers who earns above 50k and they are lecturers at university of Mauritius/private institutes with Phds!

Hi Jerry01,
thank you for your advice.So,according to you it would be possible to live with my family on a teacher's salary.That gives me a bit of hope! I will try to apply to Northfield,to see what comes out of it.
Thanks.

Hi Petertheteacher,

I thought sumeetrana_81 gave a quite good insight of living expenses for single and for family in the topic "cost of living in Mauritius" yesterday.

I'll quote the message here for your information:

1000 MRU = +/-22 GBP

sumeetrana_81 wrote:

Hello Guys....
For my friends who like to know COST of Living in Mauritius..... I manage to do some Excel worksheet for Single immigrant and coming with family...
Of course I am not the expert but this based on my experience so far... Hope this help you guys...
Cheers !!
Sorry seems cant attach excel file...
for Individual's
Monthly expenditure for an Individual                       
One-time  (immediate expense)                       
                                             Fully Furnished house                                   Semi Furnished House   
Near Sea                             20000 to 25000                                               18000 to 22000   
Centre                                 15000 to 20000                                               10000 to 15000
Security House Rental       16000                                    10000   
Advance House Rental      16000                                                               10000   
Rental                                   16000                                                                10000
Transportation (car on rent)    15000                                                     15000   
F&B                                           10000                                                            10000   
Electricity                                   1500                                                              1500   
Water                                     75                                          75   
    Gas    300            300   
    Phone    2000            2000   
    MT    1000            1000   
    Miscellaneous    3500            2000   

Total Monthly    49375            41875   

Total Monthly with One time    81375            61875   

With Family
Monthly expenditure with family                       
One-time  (immediate expense)                       
Dependent's Bank Guarantee    20000    each           
Fee for Bank Guarantee    750    each dependent per year, no pro data           

Fully Furnished house            Semi Furnished House   

Near Sea     20000 to 25000            18000 to 22000   
    Centre     15000 to 20000            15000 to 20000   

Security House Rental    16000            10000   
    Advance House Rental    16000            10000   

Rental    16000            10000   
    Transportation (car on rent)    15000            15000   
    F&B    18000            18000   
    Electricity    2000            2000   
    Water    150            150   
    Gas    300            300   
    Phone    2000            2000   
    MT    1000            1000   
    Miscellaneous    5500            5500   

Total Monthly    59950            53950   

Total Monthly with One time    112700            94700

Living in mauritius is more expensive than in singapore as well. Its better to think well before making a move, as the salary you will be receiving will allow you to survive, but not really save for a better future, or less upgrading your lifestyle.

A local teacher would be receiving some rs20k per month (source from a friend), and as a foreigner that might double up, or close to that depending on the school.

@Zoubia What's the name of your school?

Hello Sir Chilly ) Delphi)

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

This thread has been inactive since 2011, I doubt you will get any information here.

I suggest you start a new thread on the Mauritius forum to ask your questions.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team