Would I be able to find work and what is salary like?

Hi there

My husband has been offered a job in Mauritius and when I finally join in roughly 3 months after he has moved, I would like to enquire about finding a job for myself.

I am a qualified Early Childhood teacher and will be finishing my 3rd year of my Bachelor of Education degree by the time I move over.

Would a preschool or pre-primary school hire me with the certificate I have and an "almost finished" degree? - Yes I know it sounds silly but it should count for something that I'm also degree qualified - it definitely does here in South Africa :)

Saying that, what would the average salary be?

Oh one more thing - what is the average cost of a private preschool / creche for a toddler?

If both are foreigners only one can work not both. It is the rules in Mauritius.
Concerning the rates it depends of what kind of school you will choose. There's private school, government school etc..the cost are different i don't have an idea how much is it and as well it depends on region of the island. better to ask when you are there.

I didn't even think of that - being allowed to work - why would I not be allowed to work if I am married to the person who has the visa/work permit.  My husband's company said I should find work easily there so it means I can work!

I would want to send my son to a private school but I don't mind working in private or government.

I know many ex pat couples here where both work so it s not a problem providing work permits etc are obtained

Genevieve1971 wrote:

If both are foreigners only one can work not both. It is the rules in Mauritius.
Concerning the rates it depends of what kind of school you will choose. There's private school, government school etc..the cost are different i don't have an idea how much is it and as well it depends on region of the island. better to ask when you are there.

From what I know and having met a lot of Expats couples, Both are allowed to work, provided they both individually qualify for permits, i.e., based on salary being offered and the type of Visa.

If only one of the two qualifies, then he/she can bring the spouse to the country, but the spouse is not allowed any type employment.

the below two links should be of some help!

Govt of Mauritius-Non-citizen portal

Board of investemnt

you have the right to work. I also agree with Musheer. Please visit them or even call the ministries people they will consult you what to do. Sometimes what is said in the web site is not what they will explain you. Better to talk on phone and then meet them.

Thxx

If you are allowed to work,then it won't be a problem to find a job for you here according to your education.
The prices for pre-schools differ as it have been told already. starting from Rs 2500 to 8 000. Perhaps you can find even cheaper or more expensive schools but according to my experience prices vary like this