Social care in Mauritius

Hi guys and gals.

I currently work as a Children's support worker for a private care company based in the UK. Since deciding to save up and move over to Mauritius I have been trying to work out what I could do there as work, should I decide that 6 months just isn't enough!

I had a good idea of taking the CELTA course, or other TEFL qualification and looking for work as an English teacher. This however will be very expensive and just having the qualification does not guarantee work. So I hit on the idea of just doing what I do here there! Genius eh!

That in mind I wondered if anyone knows anything about the 'welfare state' in Mauritius, for want of a better phrase? How does Social Care work over there? Is there Government provision for Social Care projects or day care centres? How is life on the island for those with learning disabilities and/or physical disabilities? Are the disabled marginalised or is there an abundant Social Care network of support that can be accessed?

Essentially what I want to know is, am I likely to find work in Social Care - be it through the Government, private institutions or freelance support work perhaps through an agency and/or private individual who has need?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt

Hi Matt

Don't not know what other channels you can follow but came across this a while ago.

http://www.soscvmauritius.org/index.php/sos-villages

Please note that you must have a work permit to earn an income on the island. You can see links on the Expat-Blog for information about this and other regulations.

Hope you will be able to serve while you're here.

All the best!

Zelahtob

Thank you for the link, it is very useful and also a good starting point for more research. Excellent! Thanks once again.

Matt

hi Matt!!!

You could also take a look at this link http://www.apeim.org/index.php?langue=eng which supports disabled children and adults too.

Wish you best of luck!

Nerolife

Thanks also Nerolife, another good link to fuel my hunt!

Regards Matt

You might find what you are looking for on this website: www.actogether.mu

The aim of the website www.ACTogether.mu is to encourage networking among NGOs which fight against exclusion, discrimination and poverty in Mauritius.

The website is now used daily by NGOs, social workers, CSR managers, journalists and people interested in the non-profit sector in Mauritius.

All services provided are free of charge and include:
- A dedicated corner for the small adverts from NGOs and individuals
- Articles that are sent by email twice a month through a newsletter
- Detailed information about Mauritian NGOs: contacts details, activities…

Thanks to ACTogether, NGOs have a better visibility for their advocacy campaigns as well as for their fundraising and recruitment. It also helps them to find new volunteers and new donors.