You guys moved here with a job waiting(canadian in singapore)

Hi guys!

I'm not Canadian but my boyfriend is. Specifically a diehard Canucks fan! :D

He plans to move here soon, but I was just wondering if you guys moved here with a job waiting or you moved here and started hunting for a job?

Thanks!!

Hello bebetomate!

A new discussion has been created on the Singapore forum for better visibility.

I hope that other members will help you.

Harmonie.

As far as I know in order to obtain a visa for more than 30 days he needs to be employed before arrival unless he has a dependent visa (is married to someone who is working here who is able to financially support him).

Hello, What I did was my bf (Singaporean) sponsored me for my long term social visit pass. And I got an EPEC (a pass to look for job)
but without a job waiting its quite difficult to survive. Rent is expensive. Unless he's living with you. Btw (Im Canadian. And Canucks is my home team)! ^^

Naori wrote:

Rent is expensive.

You can't even legally rent without a resident visa (e.g. a work permit or emplyment pass), so when coming here on a (short-term) social visit pass to look for a job, you are obliged to stay in a hotel or serviced appartment at even higher cost (or as non-paying guest at a friend's place, that's also o.k.).

Hi guys,

Didn't know a discussion was created for me *blush* (Thanks, Harmonie!)

I read on the ICA website that there's a Employment Pass Certification for him to apply, and he can qualify for it as long as he's a degree holder. With the EPC, he will be able to stay here for a year (on a 1-yr social visit pass) to look for a job.

I'm going to try that.

But with the current political climate, I'm worried it gets harder and harder for foreigners to work here =(

Hello bebetomate!

bebetomate wrote:

Didn't know a discussion was created for me *blush* (Thanks, Harmonie!)

You are welcome,
Harmonie.:)

bebetomate wrote:

I read on the ICA website that there's a Employment Pass Certification for him to apply, and he can qualify for it as long as he's a degree holder. With the EPC, he will be able to stay here for a year (on a 1-yr social visit pass) to look for a job.

I'm going to try that.

But with the current political climate, I'm worried it gets harder and harder for foreigners to work here =(

Having an EPEC just means that your personal credentials have been checked and will not be the reason for an EP rejection. This gives the employer a higher confidence and thus you have a bigger chance of getting a job offer.

An EPEC is NOT a visa that allows you to stay in Singapore!
With the EPEC, you can APPLY for a one-year SVP. This is a different process (different ministry in charge), and it is not sure you'll get it. Most people from rich Western countries will have no problem, but there were cases where only six months or even one month SVP was given.

Also, once you have a job offer and the employer applies for your EP, it is still not sure you'll get it. It won't be rejected due to your background, but the employer might not qualify to hire foreigners (a ratio of locals to foreigners must be fulfilled) or there are enough locals who can do the same job (and must be hired first).