Dating and finding love as an expat in France

Hello,

With cultural barriers and different dating norms, finding love as an expat abroad can be exciting and challenging at the same time.

Is it easy to meet other fellow single people in France?

How do you go about meeting people (through friends, online dating, apps, meetup groups)?

How safe is it to date in France?

How do you deal with cultural differences when dating?

What are certain dating etiquettes and rules when dating in France?

How do you deal with getting into a serious relationship if you know you might be leaving France?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

There is only one way to meet people! You have to make the effort; be it clubs, on line wherever.
As for cultural differences: If you are from Asia there will be cultural differences but almost anywhere else the culture is similar so no problem.
Is it safe, yes providing you are not stupid! If you get drunk, for example, with people you don't know then you are asking for trouble.
As for the rest of your post, you really just have to 'do it'. Relationships are more or less the same all over the world.

I have found interesting input on this on the tv channel France24 in English. They did a program on dating and the cultural difference between dating in France if you are from Britain or elsewhere.

There are subtle differences in expectations, timing of the development of dating. It was light hearted and helpful.

Simply, it's about communication. Are you expecting a developing, long-term relationship? Go slowly. Exercise control and nothing should advance more quickly than you are comfortable with. Let the other party know, in advance what you are looking for and need.

If you are looking at match-up websites, to play the field, increase your circle of “friends”, and circulate massively, play it cool!  Be gracious, kind, happy! Enjoy and good luck!

OK - what dating sites work well in France?

And, which do not?

Based on my own experience, it is very hard to meet different cultures in the middle. My 2 yr relationship with a french guy will just end up soon. I just decided returning to my country cos i just can't go along with his french habits and french attitude anymore. I dont know if it is a french attitude or just his attitude. But seems like all of them in their family are like this. I just gave up. Lol and i will never again.

well, you are beautiful though. maybe it's just the cultural differences. i'm glad you are able to stand up for yourself and know your worth. :)

what are good dating forum for french ladies?

Hello,

Agree with you and I can understand how you feel. I am a french born, and lived in the usa for 25 years, came back to France and I feel like I will never adapte to the french mentality, I did not like it growing up, I do not like it now. I regret so much leaving the usa, I like the calm of americans and I find them way more respectful of women.

could we talk if you don't mind...
ig:devdons

Hello everyone...
I'm new in France.
I'm living in rennes city.
is there anybody from Rennes ?

The year was 1999. I was sent to Lorient France to work.
I never wanted to go to France. I had been taught that all France were the stereo typical Parisian ‘American haters'
Much to my surprise they are not.
I checked into my hotel and was greeted by a lovely French girl that spoke very good English. Which was a huge PLUS.
Suddenly I was looking forward to my trips to France, and fell deeply in love with her.
She came to the US for a month, but as I was still working and lived in a rural area of Maryland, she quickly became homesick and depressed.
Her mother was ill, and she found the enormity of America too much.
In 2003 we, rather she, ended it because the distance between us, we both had elderly parents that needed care, and I didn't speak French so it would be very hard for me to find work.
The short story is we would email several times a year, and kept in touch. With Covid and the stories of France being hit so bad I called her. Now its over a year and we skype 2-3 times a week, I flew to France in July. And the world now is a wonderful place, with her in my life again.
I am retired now so working is not an issue and she will be on pension in a year, so we are making plans to spend the rest of our days in each other's arms.
The bottom line is that Love is where you find it, but having a common language is a very important starting point.
Best of luck and love
Bob

her name would not happen to be *****?

No
Its Claudie.
Are you missing a girl?

moved to another post

GuestPoster225 wrote:

Based on my own experience, it is very hard to meet different cultures in the middle. My 2 yr relationship with a french guy will just end up soon. I just decided returning to my country cos i just can't go along with his french habits and french attitude anymore. I dont know if it is a french attitude or just his attitude. But seems like all of them in their family are like this. I just gave up. Lol and i will never again.

I'm curious: specifically, what do you mean by "French habits and attitude"? Apparently this is something you observed not only in your friend but also his family. What was it?

I don't understand why she had to be the one to adopt your language instead of the other way around? Learning a language and culture can be an enriching experience; besides, if you were taken by her, it would seem only natural that you would want to embrace her culture. I became a francophile after meeting my first (French) wife and learned about the amazing songs of Georges Brassens. Sure, your command of the language and knowledge of the culture will always be inferior to hers and that may make you uncomfortable, but that's the the position she's in when having to speak English, isn't it?

i MISS HER YES, WE HAVE HAD A LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP 6 YEARS I STARTED SINGING, AND WROTE 54 SONGS FOR HER ABOUT HER AND THE WORLD, THE LAST BAD STORM aLEX HAS, MADE COMMUNICATION HARD ONE TEXT A DAY, AND NO CALLS, BUT, I BEEN THROUGH ALOT WITH HER AT FIRST, SHE USED HER COUSINS PHOTO, AND TOOK 4 YEARS BUT I FORGAVE HER WE USED TO SKYPE, BUT NOW i HAVE PURCHASED MY TICKET, SHE WANTS ME TO COME BUT, CHANGED HER MIND ABOUT MARRIAGE YET UNTIL A LATER TIME, , AND WE PLANNED THIS SO i CAN GET MY VISA, TO START WORK AND LIVE , ARE DREAMS, BUT, i CAN HARDLY GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER, WITH LITTLE , COMMUNICATION, MY FLIGHT IS IN OCTOBER, BUT, KINDA SENSELESS IF AFTER 6 YEARS, SHE, HAS, SUDDENLY CHANGED HER MIND, IM NOT A BOOTY CALL, THIS IS MY LIFE MY FUTURE,

Sounds to me like a bad idea to pursue her. I advise you to look elsewhere for love.

I think its time for an in person visit.
Dont give up your life in the US, but enjoy learning her and France.
If you dont you'll be kicking your self for the rest of your days.
Life is not as short as some would lead you to believe.
Bob

Bonjour
After more than 40 years in the States I can only agree with your post.
Coming back to France is extremely difficult for me and I do have problems dealing with the French mentality.
Is it okay if we could speak more privately ?

Also anyone could you please suggest  a bank that I could use to forward my retirement at « good » rate??
Thanks a lot

I think you need to decide if your staying in france first,I've found dating online useless and with covit actual dating difficult,positive decide what your looking for then go for it,with employment precarious more at present you've certainly chosen a challenging time good luck