Your Experiences Working in France...?

Hi everyone,

I'd like to find a teaching job in France and I just wanted to find out if anybody here has ever worked in France. If so, what were your experiences like? What tips or advice would you offer?

Thanks in advance :)

Hello adzbudz,

Why did you choose France? Do you already have a preference for a specific region of France?

Let's hope that a member who has taken the plunge can share his or her personal experience with you and give you some useful tips. 1f609.svg

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Bonjour, I have lived and worked in the SW region of France for the past 7 years. Coming from America there were some immediate differences I found with general work culture. For the sake of keeping things simple I will list them:

• There is a rhythm to the work schedule that is generally not disrupted and most people keep to. Arrive on time, morning coffee break, second morning coffee (cigarette) break, lunch between 12 and 14h. Afternoon coffee break, leave on time. Quite different from the office culture in America where people rarely take breaks and tend to eat at their desk. Keep in mind you cannot have lunch before 12 or after 14h because nothing is open. Unless you choose to grab something at the market which is just sad.
  • Time for vacation is respected. It is normal to take 2 weeks or sometimes more. Especially during the summer months. Many parents often schedule their holiday time around the school holidays as well. Again this is quite different than the USA.
  • I found that hierarchies are more respected in French work culture than the US, and your title affords you more social benefits.
  • The HR or (RH) departments objective seems to be more about compliance and organisation rather than employee advocacy in France. Not completely, but generally speaking. 
  • Much like the US school system where rewards or recognition are motivators as part of the culture, the French do not seem to adhere to this type of mentality. The sentiment seems to be you do not get rewarded for doing what you are supposed to be doing. It makes sense, but it's quite different.
  • The culture seems to value "égalité" or fairness above all else. There is a better sense of community compared to the US which is more about the self. This sentiment seems important in the workplace also.
  • There is a contract system also which affords you greater assurance for healthcare and work security. Basically its either a CDI or CDD.
  • Perhaps it's because of the current world situation but many people seem to take sabbaticals. I never knew anyone who took one in the US and here I know at least 10 people who have.
  • My opinion overall is that while the French system can be quite taxing on companies and small business because of all of the benefits employees have, it's generally a better work Environment compared with the US. However, it will also depend greatly on your boss. But I think that applies in every culture.

Hope this helps a little. Bonne chance!

Thank you for your inputs Hommeofthebrave !

It is very much appreciated.

All the best,

Bhavna

Thank you for sharing your experience  ..

Bonjour, I have lived and worked in the SW region of France for the past 7 years. Coming from America there were some immediate differences I found with general work culture. For the sake of keeping things simple I will list them:
There is a rhythm to the work schedule that is generally not disrupted and most people keep to. Arrive on time, morning coffee break, second morning coffee (cigarette) break, lunch between 12 and 14h. Afternoon coffee break, leave on time. Quite different from the office culture in America where people rarely take breaks and tend to eat at their desk. Keep in mind you cannot have lunch before 12 or after 14h because nothing is open. Unless you choose to grab something at the market which is just sad.
Time for vacation is respected. It is normal to take 2 weeks or sometimes more. Especially during the summer months. Many parents often schedule their holiday time around the school holidays as well. Again this is quite different than the USA.
I found that hierarchies are more respected in French work culture than the US, and your title affords you more social benefits.
The HR or (RH) departments objective seems to be more about compliance and organisation rather than employee advocacy in France. Not completely, but generally speaking.
Much like the US school system where rewards or recognition are motivators as part of the culture, the French do not seem to adhere to this type of mentality. The sentiment seems to be you do not get rewarded for doing what you are supposed to be doing. It makes sense, but it's quite different.
The culture seems to value "égalité" or fairness above all else. There is a better sense of community compared to the US which is more about the self. This sentiment seems important in the workplace also.
There is a contract system also which affords you greater assurance for healthcare and work security. Basically its either a CDI or CDD.
Perhaps it's because of the current world situation but many people seem to take sabbaticals. I never knew anyone who took one in the US and here I know at least 10 people who have.
My opinion overall is that while the French system can be quite taxing on companies and small business because of all of the benefits employees have, it's generally a better work Environment compared with the US. However, it will also depend greatly on your boss. But I think that applies in every culture.
Hope this helps a little. Bonne chance!
-@Hommeofthebrave

Hi!

As to shops being closed between 12 and 14, it is only in small provincial towns.

Also, being French and having worked there almost 15 years in different companies, I never saw as many breaks as you say.  At some of my jobs, we had so much work that it was very hard to find 3 minutes to go to toilet.