Menu
Expat.com

jobs and income in smaller towns

Last activity 25 August 2011 by Outbackrose

2french

Hi everyone! My family is considering moving to Scotland in the future . Your blog on the cost of living was every informative! Thanx!  We were wondering about jobs and the cost of living in smaller, more rural towns. As of now we don't have any college degrees. If someone could give us a basic outline it would be greatly appreciated !

Christine

Hi 2french, welcome on Expat-blog! smile.png

I hope other members will be able to advice you.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Outbackrose

Hi, my boyfriend & I decided to live in the smaller town in Scotland as we're more country peeps and found it a very good move. Our village Auchinleck is right on a rail line to Glasgow and the bus services here are terrific. The rents are nearly half the price of Glasgow yet we are only 45 drive from Glasgow. We have another large city, Ayr, to the west of us even close and 20 minutes drive.
So I'd defo recommend finding a smaller village on a rail line and check out the bus routes as well. Park & Ride is the way to go. Our town has 3 pub and the neighboring village , a mile away, is larger and has more night life. If your village doesn't have a large supermarket like some don't there is always Tesco.com to do the grocery shopping, it's brilliant. Mind if you pick a village with a supermarket more chance of employment.I think alot of the villages usally have one working factory so if you're persistant and lucky enough to get on there you're laughing. Kev and I both have local jobs, which didn't happen straight away, and we have no qualifications at all.  i have no regrets about living in the country and even though we have acar we still tend to use the public transport because of the lack of parking in places. Hope this helps. We love it here.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Scotland

• Setting up a business in Scotland
    Setting up a business in Scotland

The United Kingdom is deemed to be one of the most business-friendly countries. If you are planning to set up a ...

• Finding work in Scotland
    Finding work in Scotland

Scotland has a vibrant and developed economy which attracts many foreign professionals every year. Offering a ...

• Internships in Scotland
    Internships in Scotland

Scotland has been attracting expat students in large numbers, by providing internships in companies as part of ...

•  Working in Edinburgh
    Working in Edinburgh

More and more foreign professionals are looking to move to Edinburgh for work thanks to its vibrant economy and ...

• Working in Dundee
    Working in Dundee

Known as ‘the city of discovery' thanks to science activities that have greatly developed over the years, ...

• The work culture in Edinburgh
    The work culture in Edinburgh

If you've decided to move to Edinburgh for work then you're in luck: you can expect pleasant surroundings, ...

• Edinburgh's labour market
    Edinburgh's labour market

One of the most popular destinations in Europe, Edinburgh has not only a rich cultural heritage but also a vibrant ...

• The work culture in Glasgow
    The work culture in Glasgow

Glaswegians are often laid-back and friendly. This makes working in Glasgow enjoyable. However, there is still ...

All of Scotland's guide articles