Which area to live in for a single, british female?

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you to all of you that have posted re cost of living etc.

I have been looking at various property sites and I'm rather confused as the price for a house in one area can be significantly higher than with a very similar house in another area (even if both are on the beach). I can only guess this is down to location??

I would be quite happy with a one bed but do have high standards. As I'm on my own it may be nice to be part of a western expat complex with facilities but I don't mind where I am as long as I will feel 100% safe (as I'll be on my own).

Any info on the variation of pricing etc?

hi there,try to check tamarin there are lots of expats there and its safe i used to camp there every week end at the bay alone and its peaceful and quiet.:D and have an awesome adventure :)

Onyx

Hello there,

Am a british resident too currently on the island where i come very often. Am down here fro business as usual and a lot of the people i deal with are tourists. As far as your location choice is concerned, western expats are everywhere on the coast but it depends where you want to be heading. I personally live on the north of the island and i believe with beautiful beaches like Pereybere and Mont Choisy close enough, its an idyllic place to live. On the other hand i got few good contacts on the real estate level,if you want me to help you out finding something within your budget, feel free to ask. Always here to here.

I would advice you to come over on a rental base at first, then perhaps buy later, when you get to know the place, the people, the ordeal with traffic and the time it takes you to get to work from where you live etc. Besides there are some restriction about buying property if you're not Mauritian.

Silvano

Silvan0 wrote:

I would advice you to come over on a rental base at first, then perhaps buy later, when you get to know the place, the people, the ordeal with traffic and the time it takes you to get to work from where you live etc. Besides there are some restriction about buying property if you're not Mauritian.

Silvano

This is very good advice :)

Rent on short term rental first and explore the Island for area's that you may want to live in.

Tamarin, Black River, Flic en Flac all have British Expats - I am sure other area's of the Island do as well but I can only state the area's that I know.

Mauritius is a very safe Country but if you would feel safer then maybe rent in a gated community, but I know a few single ladies who do not live in gated communities and they have no problems.

Good luck :)

hello mauritius is safe in general, at first may be u can stay in small apartments or studio close to beach as a tourist telling the owner u be here for long term meantime you make your search here on the spot that be best, way , u can chk the home facilities, security etc and rent payment and cost and if any faclities like super market etc..
now dependinf where u going to work, if on norht better chk north parts of island ex grand baie, trou o biches etc. if in center of islant then better flic en flac or tamarin etc.. well the most and accessible part is the north island and really great to live.

hope that will help you
kind regard ritesh:) kisses

(moderated: no free ads)

LaylsUK wrote:

I would be quite happy with a one bed but do have high standards. As I'm on my own it may be nice to be part of a western expat complex with facilities but I don't mind where I am as long as I will feel 100% safe (as I'll be on my own).

Any info on the variation of pricing etc?

Well these types of facilities are found in places like Saudi Arabia where there are a lot of restrictions and terrorism fear.
I would certainly advise expats not to live in these facilities. They somewhat exist in Mauritius.
If you want to know the country, the people and learning how life is here, you should definitely meddle with the locals as you can get the best advice possible. Mauritius is safe in general but you have to take precautions as you would do everywhere.

Take a look at:
www.lexpressproperty.com

This newspaper will give you an idea of prices for the areas you are interested in and what is available.

It is a very good indication of what's about and also be prepared to knock the price down as there are many rental properties available at the moment.

Also also remember if you go through an estate agent you usually have to pay one months rent to them for finding you the property and also one months rent as deposit to the landlord - that's why people try to find private landlords themselves to try to save a bit of money.

Although we were unable to find private landlord and went through a very good estate agent here in Tamarin, who got us exactly what we wanted :)

Hi,

I am Mauritian guy.. not an expat.. since u added me i can give you a few advices if you want

Your location to stay would depend mostly where you working..

Ideally, Mauritius is a small island and you can reach anywhere via taxi be it North, west, south  i.e. to the beaches quite quickly

In terms of good places to stay, the norht, grandbaie, pereybere are reputed for th night life.. same for flic en flac etc...it depends what you.. the prices for a location will definitely be a bit higher in those regions since hte beach is near

Now if you looking for a safe place as well.. it better to check some know estate agents.. They might guide you.

Me personally i registered on the website since i have completed an apartment on 1st floor at my place in quatre bornes... quatre bornes would be mostly tempting for people wrking in the center of the island, for example in ebene etc.. and who wants a place not too far to chill out, safe, nice calm region with all facilities around...

Also, flic en flac beach is 15-20 via taxi/personal car...

But if you want to stay close to the beach then it is advisable to look for regions in tamarin, flic en flac or the north.. and it better you check some estate agents.. you can find a few on l'expressproperty.com

tc xoxo.. ++

Hi Layls,

You seem to have got good advice in terms of renting first, close to where you'll be working.

From then on you can make an assessment on where you want to buy, live and in what type of accomodation.

When we visit, we stay with family within a typical Mauritian suburban community (we'll live here when we move over). The neighbours are very friendly and kind. It's safe and there's no trouble. So I think that you may find that you could happily live in a variety of places, and not necessarily just with Brits.

Enjoy your house hunting,

David.

Thank you very much to all for your great advice! I have a much clearer understanding now..

Best wishes to all,

Leila

There are many Britisher in curepipe since its a cold place to live.

[Moderated]

vishalnayan wrote:

There are many Britisher in curepipe since its a cold place to live.

I like this one!  :D

Other point u may want to consider, there are certain areas where the climate is hotter (such as north & port louis) & also cooler areas (such as curepipe, ebene & south generally) because of they are of higher ground.

Note that thou mauritius is a small island, travelling by car/taxi is not cheap as petrol price is relatively expensive to where i came from.  Public buses are cheap.  Perhaps you like to stick to places with easy access to basic amenities.

Generally, mauritius is a safe place...just avoid going out alone at night especially the public beaches. If beach is not your main criteria, you may want to try apartments at cybervillage ebene. It is a gated community with access to supermarket, gym, food, saloon, pharmarcy, clinics, dentist, ATMs, HSBC Bank & offices.  It is also very near to Bagatelle (10 mins by bus) and walking distance to rose hill (20 mins walking).

Hope it helps.

If you have a car, I think you can pretty much live anywhere you want (generally speaking). Remember, Mauritius is only 40 Miles X 30 Miles.. ie.it's more or less the size of London. As a single female what you SHOULD look out for is the type of place you live in. Of course you wouldn't know that so renting for very short term is a good idea. "Up North" is very touristic.. not really a good idea as you being white means you'll end up paying 'tourist prices' most of the time. Some may disagree with this statement but I (brownie) do know I get better prices than my other (whitey) half. "Down south" the place is relatively unspoilt (some prefer this "quaintness") and, personally, I'd explore this option. If you want to see more whitey's then Black River/Tamarin will be a better option. Oh.. and because you'll be in Mauritius do not think you can 'lower your guard'. Keep it up. Try to pick some ladies in similar situations, like yourself, if you really want some unbiased general everyday advice. You get my point :)

try flic en flac area
as that will be western oriented

sbhagia wrote:

try flic en flac area
as that will be western oriented

Please note that this is an old thread.

Port louis ..

vipin singh parmar wrote:

Port louis ..

Welcome to Expat.com.

Your post is a little vague. What is it that you are trying to tell us.
Could you please introduce yourself to the forum with a a little information about yourself.Thank you.

Hi, my name is Rajiv, my wife and kids have been leaving in the UK for a long time. We are in Mauritius and may help you looking for accommodation. In order for you to locate the best place will depend on your activities while in Mauritius i.e will you be working if yes where? Do you have a licence and will you require transport.