Private Car Rental

Hi there

My girlfriend and I are going to be visiting Mauritius later this year and I was wondering what the problems are in renting a vehicle privately as opposed to through a rental agency?

I've read a few posts where people are looking for a vehicle cheaply for a long term. However we'll be there for about a week and would like a van or LDV (bakkie / pickup). Most of the rental companies offer compacts and sedans.

I saw a warning about one company not operating legally. Are there restrictions, what are the implications...

Anyone able to clarify this for me or point me in the right direction, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Oz

Dear Oz,

in Mauritius you need a special license which allows you to rent cars. The license includes that you have a special insurance. If you rent a car from a private person you won't know anything about the insurance and I won't take the risk...

All cars which have a license to be rented have a yellow plate. The other ones are black.

When we needed to rent a car we went to car-hire-mauritius.com or maki-car-rental.com

They have only new cars, which are serviced and pricewise absolutely ok.
We rented once a Toyota Hilux which is a 4x4. I suppose you are looking for a car like this.

Wish you a great time in Mauritius!

Barbara

I have just moved here and have a hire car for 1 month from Cap Car Rental - about a third cheaper than anywhere else I contacted and whilst they are in grand Baie area and I am in Tamarin, the 1 hour drive was well worth the money saved.  Paying about 20-21 Euro a day for a new(ish) Micra.

Hope this helps

M

matt_k wrote:

I have just moved here and have a hire car for 1 month from Cap Car Rental - about a third cheaper than anywhere else I contacted and whilst they are in grand Baie area and I am in Tamarin, the 1 hour drive was well worth the money saved.  Paying about 20-21 Euro a day for a new(ish) Micra.

Hope this helps

M

Hi Matt, do you a contact number for Cap Car Rental?.. you've got a great price on the car :D seems like you getting the hang of the place quite fast :):top:

Just one quick advise: avoid negotiating in euros ;)

(moderated: please use the private message system)  Was negotiated by a friend in LaBordinais in MAU on my behalf.

Hope this helps

M

HI there, whatever you do, please do not rent privately.Just pay a bit extra and get a decent motor from  registered rental company.

I was truly conned last year by going private. A man advertised on facebook and offered a deal . Car delivered at airport( not the one we discussed and agreed). we wanted all payment in cash at the time.

After 3 days car broke down and and he came and picked up his car, then disapearred  , switched off his phone.NO contact. Apparently this is a common theme in Mauritius ,  con artists  are growing in numbers by the day, more than mushrooms.

WE had to go the police ,which was an ordeal but they were very unhelpful. It was with luck that i had some family connection high up in the police force who asked the CID at the station to deal with the matter.

The man eventually returned my money ( only two third) as he said he spent the money.

WE got very stressed and inconvenience.

so please go with rental company. Maki I heard is good.

What is also common is people wanting to find deals.
For argument sake, If a registered company is letting a car at Rs800 per day and you found a private deal at Rs500 per day, you need to find out how come he can afford to give you this deal?

Don't forget the insurance. If the car is not registered as contract car, you and your family are probably not covered in an accident.

There are several reputable car rental companies around which you won't charge you an arm and leg.
Cheers
GJ