Buying appartment in Mauritius

Hello everyone,

Im considering to buy an appartment for foreigners in Mauritius.  If you do buy an appartment in Mauritius.  Do you also need to pay a monthly fee to be allowed to live there ( you do have to do that in Sweden where i live,  which means that first you buy an appartment for a considerably ammount of money & then you also have to pay a monthly rent to live there,  lower than if you dont own the appartment). Is it the same in Mauritius? I know there are often syndic fees,  for things like taking care of the garden/pool,  lights in general areas,  for generator among other things,  which is something completely different. I also get the impression that syndic fees often arent so large (compared to a monthly rent). You also get a service other than being allowed to live in the appartment from the syndic fee. Im asking because it will have a big impact on my cost of living if you also have to pay a monthly rent to live in the appartment you have bought, so id really would like to have an answer to this before going to Mauritius to look for houses/appartments next year.  Thankyou! I guess you also need to pay an individual insurance for your owned appartment? If so,  what would be a normal fee for a normal appartment ( around 80 sqm). I understand that might differ in different areas on the Island.

Hello macmac0065,

If you own a residential property, you won't be paying any additional rent.

For insurance you can contact mua, swan or even quantum for a quote.

Regards,
Anoushka

Thankyou,  that was good news.  Youre always very helpful!

@Anou86 please don't provide wrong information as there are well syndic fees depending on where you're buying the appartment.

@Stanley125 expat was information on the platform are often misguided because most people given info here are not agents and property owners nor do they have proper information about the topic expats are posting on the platform.

Buying a property in Mauritius you need an agency to assist you for sure to get the right information and purchasing assistance with the right notary etc
I said additional rent not fee! Is syndic fee considered as rent ?
@Stanley125 expat was information on the platform are often misguided because most people given info here are not agents and property owners nor do they have proper information about the topic expats are posting on the platform.

Buying a property in Mauritius you need an agency to assist you for sure to get the right information and purchasing assistance with the right notary etc
- @Tecsla Inc.LLC

We also see professionals and so called professionals trying to get clients on the platform (forum) doing indirect promotion of their services, which is not allowed....

@Anou86 that's a fact. We know some people on the platform are not sincere which is a different conversation all together

Hello,

My 2 cents. Depending on where you live you might need to pay municipal taxes ( better check with the seller).

Make sure you read through the articles of the syndic (and discuss what the fees cover). It is important that you are aware of the syndic contract you are About to sign as it will greatly influence your stay.

If you want to buy here better go through an attorney as very often ( no offence intended) sales agent are not fully aware of the ins and out of the syndic rules and traps :)

Good luck

@Macmac0065 hello you can contact me I will try to help you cause I work in a company in blue bay ***

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Contact details should not be posted on the forum. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct