Environmental Industry?

Hi,
i was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of if there is a solid environmental industry in Mauritius. I am planning to move to Mauritius in a few years and i am interested in possibly starting a consultancy there, or joining one at first. I am a qualified Environmental Scientist and i work in Australia as a consultant, Mostly in Contaminated land management, and environmental licensing and compliance with Australian environmental law and regulation, especially in relation to petroleum storage facilities. I am the son of a Mauritian so i am entitled to a Mauritian citizenship so a visa will not be a problem for me. any information would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Hi Malcolm,

Well the environmental sector is not as thriving as the IT or finance sector, here in Mauritius but it is not so bleak either. If you are a qualified professional with solid experience, I believe you should do well mostly in consultancy for EIAs.

I possess a BEng (Hons.) Chemical & Environmental Engineering degree, but still searching for my big breakthrough since 5 months. Does that sound bad?

Best regards

hi malcolm. I opted for chemical and environmental engineering at uom but am being a bit hesitant. is it good in terms of job prospects? i got a choice between human resource management and environmental engineerin. wat can u suggest me? advice plz. thnks in advance :)

i am unsure of job prospects in Mauritius, that was the purpose of my original post. In Australia there are many opportunities for work as an Environmental Engineer. Personally i feel human resources is a much more boring profession that Environmental Engineering, but that is strictly my presonal opinion. If you are someone who is interested in Environmental Engineering, i would suggest that you would most likely find Human Resources a little unexciting as well. Although there are probably more opportunities for work in Human resuorces in Mauritius than there are for Environmental Engineers.