Menu
Expat.com
Search
Magazine
Search

"What to look for on: TV, Online, Radio, & Cinema"

Das Signal (Fernsehserie) - on Netflix.


German series about mysterious signals from space.  Some very annoying characters in it like a smart ass child and annoyingly thick fawning Dad  and some ludicrous plot twists - who except loopy billionaires would send a mentally unstable, drug addled, chain smoking astronaut into space to hang out with professional astronauts.   It gets more interesting when the crazy old lady with conspiracy plot knowledge appears on the scene.  She's the best one in it.   Police agents chase them around while smoking their way to a conclusion.   I was most annoyed that none of the characters had tidy houses. It looked like they were all living in sheds built on recycling yards or spent their spare time at car boot/yard sales buying any old junk.  I wanted to stop production and clean it all up.  Not sure what a hoarder is in German (Der Hamsterer?!).   There's a blatant lack of continuity in some of these shows - the kid uses a SW radio to contact aliens but as usual, they forgot to plug in an antenna.  I have seen that in so many shows. D'oh.


I watched it in German with English subs  (some chunks are in English).  Not to be confused with another movie from the US of a similar name.  I only watched it as I was ill and I felt I had to see it to its interminable end while laying immobile on the sofa.


1790948899_28600_1070660_1.webp

New seasons


1791209304_1062367_1070660_1.jpg

1791209304_1062367_1070660_2.jpg

1 member reacted to this post

Carrie

2026 -

Mini series

1791449647_1062367_1070660_1.png

After her father's sudden death, sheltered teenager Carrie White, raised by her domineering mother, enters public high school, where she faces a viral bullying scandal and the awakening of mysterious telekinetic powers.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkUw2nh6fT0

On Prime

1 member reacted to this post
Carrie
2026 -
Mini series
1791449647_1062367_1070660_1.png
After her father's sudden death, sheltered teenager Carrie White, raised by her domineering mother, enters public high school, where she faces a viral bullying scandal and the awakening of mysterious telekinetic powers.
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkUw2nh6fT0
On Prime - @SimCityAT

I remember the original with I think Sissy Spacek as Carrie.   


Back in those days, with no Internet, we didn't know what the plot was so the jump scares and plot twists were very effective. 


Stephen King wrote so many good stories - my favourite is Christine about a haunted car.

1 member reacted to this post

Digger - a movie about an apocalypse


This has Tom Cruise looking almost unrecognisable.   I saw the trailer and it's obviously a satire of Trump, Musk and others and their likely destruction of the world.  It's been panned by critics but the trailer looks interesting. I'll wait for it to be out on streaming or sharing.


I am not sure why it's called Digger as that seems to be a banter'ish word for a mate in Australia.


1791623008_28600_1070660_1.jpg

@fluffy2560

Tom Cruise’s latest movie, from Birdman and The Revenant filmmaker Alejandro G. Iñárritu, opened with around $8million in the US this weekend.


It marks Cruise’s lowest box-office opening in nearly 20 years, and with the film carrying a hefty budget reportedly in the range of $140-180million, Digger is categorically a bomb.


It comes after the movie proved divisive with critics, rocking a 51% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with our own Tom Percival awarding the film just two stars for Metro.


Audiences have categorically rejected this new shift from Cruise, and it could put him off from making more big creative swings in the future, which is a damn shame.

@fluffy2560
Tom Cruise’s latest movie, from Birdman and The Revenant filmmaker Alejandro G. Iñárritu, opened with around $8million in the US this weekend.
It marks Cruise’s lowest box-office opening in nearly 20 years, and with the film carrying a hefty budget reportedly in the range of $140-180million, Digger is categorically a bomb.

It comes after the movie proved divisive with critics, rocking a 51% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, with our own Tom Percival awarding the film just two stars for Metro.

Audiences have categorically rejected this new shift from Cruise, and it could put him off from making more big creative swings in the future, which is a damn shame. - @SimCityAT

Apparently there are reports the losses are mainly attributable to Cruise's cut of the take. 


The trailer is in colour but looks oddly washed out and weirdly 1970s in design.


I expect it'll get picked up at a discount by Prime or Netflix.

1 member reacted to this post

Further reading