Family reunion visa of wife whilst renuing blue card

Hello,
I am Tunisian and I live in Bonn since September 2020. My wife has applied for a family reunion visa with the German embassy in Tunisia around December 2020. With the Covid situation, we had to wait till end of June 2021 to get an appointment !! Since that date, we have not been contacted neither by the German embassy in Tunisia nor by the Auslanderbehorde in Bonn. When sending an email to the Auslanderbehorde a week ago, I got this answer:

Der Formblattantrag zu Ihrem Visumsverfahren liegt der Ausländerbehörde Bonn noch nicht vor.

The problem is, my blue card has already expired since end of August 2021. I have already applied for renewal and I got an appointment to receive the new blue card end of October 2021. Currently, I have been given a Fiktionsbescheinigung that is valable until end of October 2021. Do you think that the fact I'm currently renuing my blue card could cause a problem with the family reunion visa application of my wife, or result in its refusal ? Could it be the reason of this processing delay ? Thanks in advane for your replies !!

Regards,

The message they sent means that they have not received an application for visa - but this should be getting handled by the embassy anyway; that is where the interview was done.

As long as you are legally working in Germany, I don't see any problem. They won't punish one if things like Covid slow down the processing of things from their side and from what you write it sounds like you are doing things correctly.

Best if you get the new blue card since it basically guarantees the family reunion visa should get approved, unless one of the family members has a serious criminal conviction. One can also work having come on a normal work visa without having a blue card and also apply for a family reunion visa but there is no specific guarantee of approval.

I have to wonder why one would have gotten a blue card valid for only one year though? The main advantage is that it gives one a streamlined path to long term residency but this still takes more than a year. What is really the point then? I though the standard validity is 4 years unless based on a contract that is specifically for a maximum shorter time.

Hello Tomin,
Thank you so much for the answer. I forgot to mention, before moving to Bonn, I was living in Karlsruhe since February 2019, but anyway, I was given a blue card with a duration of around 2 years since my old passport expires on August 2021. I understand they couldn't give me a blue card with a longer duration than the validity of my passport. :)

Bests,

An application for a family reunion visa submitted at a German embassy abroad is always sent for processing to the Ausländeramt of the intended residence. That your Ausländeramt has not received it yet means the embassy did not forward it - which, after nine months, is strange.
You (or your wife) should contact the embassy to find out what is holding it up.
There is also a German law (which applies to embassies, too) that requires a processing time of not more than three months for any official decision - unless external factors delay the process. The embassy would have to tell you these factors if they want to claim that this clause applies.
The problem with this law is that it is difficult to enforce: You'd basically have to sue them (in a German court) for inactivity ("Untätigkeitsklage"), but such a court case would cost you more nerves and money than the matter is worth - and it would drag on for more months than you want to wait for your wife.
So, basically, you can mention this law, but are still at the embassy's mercy.