LIVING outside Germany after PR

I was living in Germany fro about 7 years. I had German PR (Permanent Residence VISA) but now I am moving out in other non eu country for my research work. I have school going age kids. I am wondering is there any possibility if I can retain mine German PR and wife and kids while staying outside Germany.
The regulations say that your residence permit is forfeitet the moment you leave Germany with permanent intentions.
In practise, an absence of up to 6 months is seen as temporary and thus has no influence on your permit. Any longer duration has to be arranged with your foreigner office beforehand - and they probably want to see proof that you want to return (e.g. a time-limited work contract abroad).
You could probably get away with it by keeping your apartment and visiting every few months - at considerable cost (rent, health insurance, taxes.
Like Beppi mentioned, leaving Germany for more than 6 months will mean forfeiting the PR. Sometimes German officials are open to exceptions if arranged beforehand within limitations. Like one goes for a year or a bit more and definitely has intentions of returning and would have a job waiting for them upon return. This might be allowed. Such a situation, if one is in another EU country, might even get allowed for a couple of years.

As mentioned, maintaining a place to live in Germany might be a pathway to claim that the move was only temporary but an expensive strategy. If one is doing that, then maybe it would a better option that the rest of the family stays in Germany rather than having to move and have the kids adapt to new schools and make new friends if one intends to return within a year or 2. This might be complex tax-wise though with both Germany and the other country expecting to tax one's income. Otherwise, it might come down to the choice of taking the position and the risk of not being able to return, or if so, to start over towards getting a long term residency again.
Like Beppi mentioned, leaving Germany for more than 6 months will mean forfeiting the PR. Sometimes German officials are open to exceptions if arranged beforehand within limitations. Like one goes for a year or a bit more and definitely has intentions of returning and would have a job waiting for them upon return. This might be allowed. Such a situation, if one is in another EU country, might even get allowed for a couple of years.
- @TominStuttgart

I know people who were allowed to keep their German residence permit when their (German) employer sent them abroad (non-EU) for three years, with a defined end date and a guaranteed job back in the German office.
Also (but off-topic here): Spouses of Germans can keep their residence permit indefinitely, as long as they live with the German partner abroad.