Vaccines required in Germany

Hello everybody,

When living or moving abroad, and in particular in Germany, vaccination against certain diseases is often required to enter the country or to avoid risks.

We would like to ask you a few questions to help future expats there.

What is your relationship to vaccines in general?

Did you get vaccinated before moving to Germany?
Were these vaccinations compulsory or recommended?

Did you refuse to get any vaccine that was recommended for Germany? If so, why?

If you are an expatriate in Germany, are you encouraged to get a COVID-19 vaccine? Do you have access to the vaccine and do you plan to get it?

Is this vaccine required for entering the country now?

Many thanks,

Diksha,
Expat.com team

Diksha wrote:

... vaccination against certain diseases is often required...

you have raised many points , so I'll address them successively
When living or moving abroad, and in particular in Germany, vaccination against certain diseases is often required to enter the country or to avoid risks.

We would like to ask you a few questions to help future expats there.

What is your relationship to vaccines in general?
Up until Corona, I travelled regularly outside and inside Germany for professional purposes. As such Germany have suggested vaccination directives for each country to follow. It is good practice and not legally enforceable but there can be penalties up to 2500€ for certain cases such as withholding it from newborn babies. A recent status on how Vaccines is handled is seen here : https://praxistipps.focus.de/impfpflich … ten_122633

Especially Vaccines is a controversial topic for some in Germany, where the effect that it can have on any specific individual can neither be 100% proven or disproven.
At least a large body of medical experts supports the concept of vaccination in general. And as Arnold Schwarzenegger recently said  -  If you want expert advice on body-building ask him, but be careful on the opinions of people that are not accepted experts by their fellow experts in a specific area. Lately, there seems to be a lot of self declared experts where the number of the followers on twitter is used to proof their expertise. This is an unhealthy modern (hopefully temporary) trend.

There are legal implications when vaccines are formally mandated. Globally, a number of countries burnt their fingers at least once whilst entertaining this idea in the 60's (with polio). Legal enforcement transfers liability to the state. Similarly any airline or Employer forcing a specific vaccination becomes liable if you can later proof direct or indirect collateral effects of taking any such chemicals /active substances or the unknown contra-effects with other chemicals on you, your unborn baby, or a generation of descendants after you. Of course an airline or customs is entitled to decline allowing you to board if you cannot provide evidence of being uninfected to protect the fellow passengers and citizens and you will lose your money spent on the ticket. Up until now the Pharma industry is liable for such substances , that is why the trials takes years and the accompanying leaflet have a long list of warnings in fine print.

Vaccines has macro societal aspect to it. If all in a large community takes vaccines the chances or a pandemic is reduced immensely, with a few paying a price of negative contra effects. If you live in a community with high propensity of vaccination, you can afford the personal selfish luxury of no self vaccination, since the risk of infection is negligent compared to contra effects. However, when that thinking becomes the general norm, the risk of the community of contracting the negative effects of an infection outweighs the uncertain contra effects (take leprosy as an example).

Since populism is a rising international trend again after a century, some conspiracy theorists are becoming popular by spreading ideas like forced vaccinations (decree by law), but I doubt that any country can afford the chain of lifetime costs caused by taking such liability. One should not forget that as of lately some rDNA vaccines were only released after the Pharmaceuticals refused to release the substance without indemnification. That it was granted was surprising, but any forced decree after that is an open invitation to liability. "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread"

Did you get vaccinated before moving to Germany?  Yes, for certain cases, but I'm not hunting around to get all possible and available vaccines regularly. Only where it is recommended
Were these vaccinations compulsory or recommended? Both , Either or. In limited case you even can get a fine, but there is no legal enforcement. 

Did you refuse to get any vaccine that was recommended for Germany?
No. It is a personal choice with solidarity on those that are frail or weak in your community for well tested and proven vaccines.

If so, why? Not applicable.

If you are an expatriate in Germany, are you encouraged to get a COVID-19 vaccine?
No Germany do not discriminate between foreigners and citizens in this regard. As Expatriate No. As German citizen, if I fall in a certain group (or my conditions develop in such a way to fall in a certain group), yes , I can be encouraged.
Do you have access to the vaccine and do you plan to get it?
No. I do not have general access to vaccines that could be stored at -80 degrees Celcius.
If I fall into a risk group for which it is recommended (or my conditions deteriorate so far that my life is endangered thereupon, or that I actively endanger my family or those in my community's life, yes I will take it.

Is this vaccine required for entering the country now?
To my knowledge for the general population and forcing it down your throat against your will : no. It could be recommended, though. If I am infected, I understand that entry can be declined or I can be put in quarantine if I refuse to take the vaccine. If during quarantine my condition deteriorate to be life threatening and I still refuse, I take a personal risk of dying. If, been infected, I wilfully endanger my community by not following the quarantine rules, and someone dies or is severely impaired because of my negligence,  I may be criminally charged imprisoned and or fined.