Health insurance for unemployed

I have been reading over the internet that in Germany health care is mandatory if you are registered here and working. But how does it work if a person comes here, is registered but doesn't have a job yet? Is it excluded from paying?

Health insurance is compulsory for EVERYBODY living in Germany. There are no exceptions!
If you are working, a portion of the fees (nearly 50%) are paid for by the employer, and the rest automatically deducted from your salary.
If you lost your job and receive unemployment benefits, the fees are covered by the authority paying your benefits.
If you are not employed for other reasons, or self-employed, you have to pay the complete fee from your own pocket. In the public insurance scheme, this will cost you between €350 and €750/month, depending on your estimated world income.
If you recently arrived in Germany and have not registered with a health insurance yet, there is no point in delaying it further: When you eventually register, they will back-charge you from the day you arrived (even though you had no chance to use the insurance) - up to four years!

If a newcomer is registered at Agentur fur Arbeit as looking for job, can they cover this? I find it quite strange to ask somebody without an income to pay for health care only for living and not actually using it as well.

Alexa91M wrote:

I find it quite strange to ask somebody without an income to pay for health care only for living and not actually using it as well.

As far as I know, most countries act that way. But how do you know you won't use the health system? You can fall ill at any time or have an accident. This is when you go on holiday, you take out holiday/travel insurance out.

Healthcare insurance is one of the things that should be considered before any expat makes the decision to move to another country; if you can't afford to pay for it, then you should probably delay your move until you can.

As far as I know most of the countries request health care if you have some sort of income, if not you will just have to pay when you have a medical problem. And it makes sense in my opinion. For e.g what are homeless people doing here in Germany about this? How do they pay?

As I wrote, your health insurance fees are only paid by the employment authority if you receive unemployment benefits. Just registering with them as job-seeker is not enough.
Germany, like most European countries, has a system based on solidarity: Everybody pays in, to prevent those with serious illnesses from financial destitution. It works well and the vast majority here does not want it otherwise. Thus as our guest, please comply!
The poor (like the homeless you mentioned) are entitled to social security payments (called "Hartz IV") and these also cover the health insurance, similar to unemployment benefits. As a foreigner, you are not normally entitled to social security benefits (unless you have been here several years and had a job) - the idea is to prevent benefits tourism: If you become poor, you are requested to return to your own country and apply for such benefits there (all EU countries have similar systems, and others will only get a visa if their livelihood is financially secured).

Thanks for the message. Nobody said anything about not complying. I am just trying to understand how it works and now it's more clear. But having to pay backcharges even if you haven't used health care is something I haven't heard to be happening in other countries. But if this is the law here what can you do. Unfair I would say but that is just my opinion.

Solidarity means you have to pay in whether you use the system or not. Back-charging is just a way to prevent people from dodging their responsibility here.

Backcharging people who have no income and not worked here before is not something a state should do. They should differentiate between those trying to doge a system and the case I am talking about. I can understand the concept of solidarity but not in this case. Anyway it is how it is and I got the answer about how it works.

Alexa91M wrote:

Backcharging people who have no income and not worked here before is not something a state should do. They should differentiate between those trying to doge a system and the case I am talking about. I can understand the concept of solidarity but not in this case. Anyway it is how it is and I got the answer about how it works.

Then what are you doing in Germany if you aren't working? You are expecting handouts. Citizens of EU countries have a great advantage that they can come to countries like Germany and get a job without needing working visas. But if you have no skills and can't get a job then why not go home? Why should the German tax payers pay for people who come here and just want to live off of the system? This is exactly the kind of misconduct that is fueling anti-immigrant sentiments. And most of this fraud and much of the criminality and begging in Germany is NOT caused by refugees - but by people from Bulgaria and Romania.

Your comment is mean. I am working fyi. I wanted to know more about the health care system. And I did not say that tax payers should cover this. I am perfectly fine with paying when I actually have a health problem and not be for e.g backcharged just for living here for e.g and not using the health system. Fyi I actually work and I pay health care, I got easy flu several times and didn't even go to the doctor. So please stop putting everyone in the same box. Obviously you have a problem with my nationality but not all people coming here are trying to get advantages without giving something in return. If you would have paid attention to the thread maybe you would have understood more. Anyway I am not here to argue with you or anyone so keep your hating for yourself!

Alexa91M wrote:

Once you have lived here long enough to get German citizenship, you can participate in our elections (or become a politician yourself) and thus contribute your opinion to how we run our country.
But until then, it counts for nothing. Sorry!

By the way: Somebody who wants to live here (and thus benefit from our high living standard) but NOT contribute to social systems (which includes the general health insurance) IS dodging his/her responsibility. We don't want that - thus these strict, but clear and fair rules.

Tom: Please tone down your voice!
Emotions should not be part of this discussion!

Alexa: If you are (legally) working here, you must be member of a health insurance already. It seems you are not telling us the whole truth?
In any case, are you also fine with paying €500000/year for a cancer treatment if the disease hits you, or be told to die quietly at home if you cannot pay? It is exactly these cases that our health insurance system prevents, not a small cold and running nose. And it only works if everyone contributes, including you!

Who said about not wanting to contribute? My problem is with backcharging newcomers if they are still seeking for a job. And yes I have an opinion and I think I can share it. I am not asking you to approve me or to do something in this regard, so no problem here. I would appreciate if everybody here stop accusing of trying to doge the system. I had a question, got my answer and I particularly happen to not like the way the law is. End of story!

I am working here and legally but I don't have to share my personal information to be believed. And yes if I had a serious problem like this I would go and treat myself where I can afford it, be it in my country, Germany or anywhere else. These things are not that uncommon.

Like every newcomer who moves to Germany, you were required to join a health insurance from the day you arrive.
If you did not do that, it was your mistake.
But instead of penalizing you for the mistake, the system just charges you the same as you would have had to pay if you joined immediately.
I cannot find anything unfair in this!

So you are working here legally, thus are already member of a German health insurance and paying their fees.
If you are lucky, they will not look closely enough to notice that you have already been here before starting work and thus that they (by right) have to back-charge you. Such mistakes happen (just like your mistake of not joining immediately). But right it is not!

Alexa91M wrote:

And I did not say that tax payers should cover this.

Yes, you did, but implicitly (and probably without realizing it):
In Germany, anybody with a medical problem is treated to the best possible as required by his/her conditions and the newest scientific resilts, no matter who he/she is (rich, poor, foreigner, local) and almost no matter what it costs - and INDEPENDENT OF if/how he/she is insured or paying the bills (which can be huge). The financial aspect is only checked afterwards - and if you (or your insurer) does not pay in the end, the taxpayer steps in.
It is the legislative's responsibility to prevent abuse of this system. They decided to do this by making sure everybody is insured and thus contributes. And that is good!

I think we are going around in circles now. When starting a topic off in the forums it's always best to give all the information possible in the question.

Alexa91M you started off with a header Health insurance for unemployed which leads us to believe that you are unemployed and need advise on health insurance.

Alexa91M wrote:

Your comment is mean. I am working fyi. I wanted to know more about the health care system. And I did not say that tax payers should cover this. I am perfectly fine with paying when I actually have a health problem and not be for e.g backcharged just for living here for e.g and not using the health system. Fyi I actually work and I pay health care, I got easy flu several times and didn't even go to the doctor. So please stop putting everyone in the same box. Obviously you have a problem with my nationality but not all people coming here are trying to get advantages without giving something in return. If you would have paid attention to the thread maybe you would have understood more. Anyway I am not here to argue with you or anyone so keep your hating for yourself!

That's exactly the kind of response we see here from people trying to scam the system. I have nothing against ANY nationality - only against individuals who want to ignore the laws and then complain about being treated badly when called out on it. It's not mean to state the facts. If one wants to come to Germany and look for a job then they have to finance themselves. End of story. If you don't like it then leave. They cannot expect free health care or anything else! And in the end it is the tax payers who pay, who else?! And just paying when one has a health problem is a stupid rationalization. One needs to have insurance. If one gets sick or has an accident they can unexpectedly land in the hospital creating thousands of Euros of costs. It is to the benefit of both the health care system and the individuals that they are covered. And it's the law. Maybe you should have informed yourself about the rrules before coming to Germany.

I did pay from day one so lucky me I am actually having no problem. Maybe I implied it asking because  I said if u are legally seeking job if it is covered, it felt natural to ask as they are providing you a way to find a job so maybe they provide that too. It was not trying to get something from any taxpayer. My opinion on the way it works does not influence things in any way. I am glad it works for you all and you don't find a problem with these corner cases. Good day to everyone, even to the not that nice!

It sucks, but you really have to get, and pay for, your own insurance.  If you have not been employed in Germany, you will need to sign up for private insurance which costs about 750 Euros per month.

Suzannet wrote:

It sucks, but you really have to get, and pay for, your own insurance.  If you have not been employed in Germany, you will need to sign up for private insurance which costs about 750 Euros per month.

Mostly incorrect. There are strict rules for who gets private insurance rather than public insurance. What is correct is that you'll be paying for it rather than an employer. Most civil servants and people making a high income are eligible - others not. But once one is privately insured they have to stick with it. It isn't determined by employment per see but in fact an unemployed person will not usually be eligible to get private insurance. And the amount one pays for private health insurance depends mostly on one's age, public insurance a percentage of their income and half of the cost usually being paid by an employer. A younger person will pay around half of what is claimed here. This subject has been covered extensively on this site with plenty of links to sites that explain the admittedly complex German system.

Wasn't my experience.

It's not worth my time to argue with some who claims many things that are clearly not correct. But it is also unfair to people reading here to get misinformation. But nobody need take my word for it. Here is a link to a comprehensive explanaition in English about the German Health Insurance system:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Germany

hi,

My partner has started a new job here in Germany, but as per German law, heterosexual partnerships are disputed if they constitute a family. Thus my partner's insurance will not cover me.

Is there anyone who can give some advice on this? Getting married over such a reason seems...sad. Im currently unemployed, and I have contacted several insurance companies for a private insurance but they seem reluctant to sell it to me unless I have a job where I then would not need it in the first place.

Perhaps a long term german class at the Goethe institute, hmm.

Anyway, any info/advice would be much appreciated

Thank you

@Spel123 Your message is confusing!

Heterosexual couples are not only recognised, but the norm here. To get formal benefits (incl. health cover in your partner's public health insurance, which is free of charge as long as you have no own income), you have to marry or register the partnership - preferably in your home country before coming.

Another requirement is that you are living together in Germany. You did not mention that. If not, of course, you cannot get any cover in Germany through him/her.

If you must get (and pay for) health cover on your own merit, you should first find out whether you must join a public or private insurer - you don't have a choice, as this is determined by your previous insurance method in your home country. Approach any public insurer for a check of this!

If they determine that you must join the private scheme, get this in writing and show it to a private insurer of your choice. They must then insure you - at least in the least favourable "Basistarif", which costs a lot but is still loss-making to them - so you may have to insist or engage a lawyer to get in.

Procrastinating this matter will not help, because you will be backcharged since the day you arrived. Having health insurance is compulsory for any resident of Germany!

@beppi

Wow you are fast!

We are already registred as residents and live here now for the past two weeks, we are already registered as partners from another EU country. Immigration/Tax office AND city hall was no issue, but for the residence permit, we BOTH need to be insured.

Civil partnerships are not recognized as a "family/household" under German law(but same sex partners are) and the INSURANCE company is saying no to my coverage through her work insurance unless we go again to city hall and get some document stating that they recognise us as a "household/family" which we then bring back to the insurance company.

Our issue is that I need to be insured now, and without a 66K/annum job its looking rather bad. Unless city hall comes to the rescue, placing all our hopes and commitments already made, on civil servants has not served us well in the past. Worst of all, is that I am the odd one out, I am the one who is causing this issue and might cost my partner this opportunity.

Also this incoming travel insurance seem like a scam and is only needed for entry into Germany, rather for this process.

@Spel123 Your message is confusing!Heterosexual couples are not only recognised, but the norm here. To get formal benefits (incl. health cover in your partner's public health insurance, which is free of charge as long as you have no own income), you have to marry or register the partnership - preferably in your home country before coming.Another requirement is that you are living together in Germany. You did not mention that. If not, of course, you cannot get any cover in Germany through him/her.

So we do live together here in Germany, we did register as partners before we came here. Do you mean that we should insist and make a scene?

@Spel123 Your message is confusing!If you must get (and pay for) health cover on your own merit, you should first find out whether you must join a public or private insurer - you don't have a choice, as this is determined by your previous insurance method in your home country. Approach any public insurer for a check of this!If they determine that you must join the private scheme, get this in writing and show it to a private insurer of your choice. They must then insure you - at least in the least favourable "Basistarif", which costs a lot but is still loss-making to them - so you may have to insist or engage a lawyer to get in.

This is very helpful, Ill start with this first thing next week. Ill trust in the stories of German bureaucracy and insist on a face to face, and papers. But I really do hope you are joking regarding the lawyer.

But I really do hope you are joking regarding the lawyer.

No.

Although the private insurers are theoretically obliged to take certain people, whom they know will be loss-making for them, they will do anything the can to defer them.

That's why, in order to join a private insurer, you need to get a rejection from a public insurer first - and stamina and dedication. A lawyer can help with this.

Also, do not expect this to be cheap: While the public insurance for a single non-earner costs just under 200€/month, the private ones will cost a multiple and (depending on your age, health and pre-existing conditions) can be above 2000€/month.

If you are Swedish citizen (as your profile says) and were there in an insurance equivalent to our public scheme, you cshould be able to join the public scheme here. Hope for this!

But there is more confusion in your posts about your family situation:

If your spouse is in a public health insurance (you did not mention this), you can get free health cover as dependent, provided you

• are in a registered partnership legally equivalent to a marriage. The insurer of course needs proof, and the town hall people can potentially help here.
  • you live together with the spouse in one household. Send the registration papers to the insurer!
  • you have no or very low own income. (Even passive income in your country or elsewhere counts!)

@beppi

First of all, thank you for your time and answers.

I will check with town hall regarding that proof the insurer might need, that would be very nice. We are both registered living together in the EU for over two years now( we used to work outside the EU before, where we also lived together).

Regarding income, does potential dividends count as income?

1. You are still confusing topics here: Having lived together (with registration of residence) and having a legally registered partnership akin to a marriage are two completely separate issues. Which one applies to you?
  2. Are you both EU citizens (as your profile implies), or not? If not, all the above might not be true - and much depends on the visa type you currently hold.
  3. Yes, dividents, investment returns and rents all count as income. To be allowed free coverage as a dependent, your overall world income must be below comething like 350€/month.If above, you must insure yourself separately.

@beppi

1. Both apply to us. We are registered civil partners that live together in the same household.
  2. I am an EU citizen, while my partner is not but holds a letter from immigration until employment, which seems contingent on my insurance.
  3. Thanks, I will look into this.

If all goes poorly, and I cant acquire a Lebenspartnerschaftsgesetz from town hall, we dont really have much time, what would you suggest? Perhaps we can direct message instead?

Sorry, but a non-EU-citizen with a work permit for Netherlands is not allowed to reside or work in Germany- residence visa are still strictly national. So your spouse will have to sort his/her legal status out first!