Buying a property in Mauritius as a foreigner

Hi everyone,

We live in Europe and I am looking to buy a property in Mauritius with my wife, However, my wife is Mauritian citizen but I am not.

My question : will we be able to buy the property jointly or is it better to buy it on my wife`s own name ? If we can buy jointly, will the deed mention both names ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and advice.

Hi
My wife is Mauritian. We bought in both our names.
what kind of house are you looking for and where?
brgs

Aures99 wrote:

Hi everyone,

We live in Europe and I am looking to buy a property in Mauritius with my wife, However, my wife is Mauritian citizen but I am not.

My question : will we be able to buy the property jointly or is it better to buy it on my wife`s own name ? If we can buy jointly, will the deed mention both names ?

Hi
In most cases you both will be required to present your documents since you are married with a Mauritian, therefore it is best you do this together.

Feel free to get in touch for more info on where to purchase and pricing of new homes.

Regards
Tecsla Home
Jerome

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : free advertising is not allowed on Expat.com + thanks to register yourself in the business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Aures99 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Affirmative .
However take note wrt the matrimonial regimes as far as succession is concerned :

Communauté de biens vs séparation de biens - Incidence du régime matrimonial sur les droits successoraux du conjoint survivant.
Les gens pensent souvent que s'ils ne se marient pas sous le régime de la communauté de biens, ils n'hériteront rien de leur conjoint. En réalité, le régime matrimonial n'a aucune incidence sur les droits successoraux d'un conjoint. Peu importe le régime matrimonial, les droits du conjoint survivant dans la succession de son conjoint décédé seront les mêmes. Par contre, la différence c'est que si un couple est marié sous le régime de la communauté de biens, tous les biens achetés pendant le mariage appartiendront aux deux époux pour moitié chacun. En conséquence, lors du décès d'un des deux époux, le conjoint survivant reprend la moitié qui lui appartenait déjà et ce n'est que l'autre moitié ayant appartenu au défunt qui sera partagé dans la succession. Dans ce cas, il recueille comme « héritage », la même part qu'un enfant dans la moitié du bien ayant appartenu au défunt.

Il est à noter que les biens reçus en donation, par testament ou tout simplement hérités d'un parent au décès de celui-ci, n'appartiendront toujours qu'à l'époux ayant hérité et ne sera pas commun aux deux époux même s'ils ont été reçus pendant le mariage.

Quant aux couples mariés sous le régime de la séparation des biens, tous les biens acquis, même pendant le mariage, n'appartiennent qu'à celui qui les a achetés. Lors du décès de l'époux propriétaire, c'est donc le bien en entier qui devra être partagé dans sa succession.

https://defimedia.info/explik-ou-ka-tou … le-partage

Hi, this is a response from a notary

The non citizen can purchase of immovable property here only if he is married to a Mauritian Citizen under the legal community of goods and property, in which case purchase can be joint and of course accordingly, both buyers mentioned in purchase deed.
If this is not the case (i.e. the spouses are married under the separation of goods and property), only the Mauritian Citizen can acquire, provided he/she can provide a valid Mauritian ID or passport.
Otherwise, purchase is possible only with EDB's authorization and restricted to specific projects approved by EDB (IRS, PDS etc) or apartment only (not a house) and in complex with ground +2.
Hope this helps

Hello there,

depending on which type of matrimonial regime you chose you and your wife, it should not be a problem to buy a property in Mauritius. Do not hesitate to post back as this post is 2 years old and I will refresh you on the current criterias if you require.

Regards,
Jess