Moving to Mauritius

Hi, Can you assist me. I'm leaving for Mauritius on 3rd Jan 2009. starting to work there for a construction company. they provide accomodation in a place called Flic en Flac and additional 7000rupees per month for sopending.

How is this place and will i survive on the amount. bearing in mind they pay my salary seperate and also provide cell phone, car, housing.

please reply, any1

thank you

faizel

Hi Faizel!

Flic-en -Flac is on the west coast of Mauritius and there's a lovely beach there. The weather is almost always nice & sunny and it's gonna be very hot in January though. So, hope you'll have a/c in your new house...
As far as I have picked up, you'll have Rs7000 as pocket money monthly? If that's the case, you can live quite comfortably. Are all utility bills going to be paid for by your company?

To give you an indication of the cost of living, a 0.5L Coke costs around Rs15( ZAR5), a pack of 4 yoghurts Rs60(ZAR20), a KFC Zinger around Rs65 and 1L petrol is at Rs37 (ZAR12)...

Please feel free to request any other info.

Welcome on board Faizel,

7,000 rupees per month? Is it a local contract or an expat contract?

7,000rs is pretty low for an expat contract (fortunately they provide an accommodation and a car)

I think if one was looking to live a European-style expat lifestyle (i.e. fancy restaurants, beach club, etc.) then Rs7000 wouldn't be enough - but with transport and accomodation found I think you would have some change out of your pocket money.

Most of the restaurants and bars in Flic en Flac cater for tourists and charge accordingly - if you cook for yourself then it is pretty cheap.

My office canteen sells a big plate of veggie rice or fried noodles for just Rs40, and a meat dish for Rs50 - and this is not subsidised by the firm and so some people complain this is expensive. Personally, I find it hard to spend much money in the supermarkets on food - compared to UK/Europe prices they are almost giving the stuff away (not for imported brands of course) but for staples and local fresh produce.

Probably my biggest expense (apart from flat and car) is alcohol - imported wine is expensive I think and so are good quality spirits, but local beer at about Rs21 a small can is pretty cheap. If you don't drink and/or veggie then life is even cheaper.

Other sample supermarket prices from Flic en Flac and Tamarin:
2 (large) Australian steaks: RS170
500g potatos: Rs25
250g carrots: Rs7
500g courgette: Rs19
New Grove 4yr old rum: Rs390 (highly recommended by the way)
Bread (loaf): Rs12
Baguette: Rs7
1KG bananas: Rs20
Lettuce: Rs20
3 large onions: Rs8
Milk 500ml: Rs30
Shrimp/crevettes 500g: Rs175
Basmati rice 1Kg: Rs120 (and that was almost the most expensive in the store)
DVDs: Rs75

If you go to some of the roadside stores and stalls, then prices are even lower - but you don't get receipts to help with boring lists in online forums! :-)

Good day

Thank you for all the advise and notes. As you aware i'll be staying in Flic en Flac and commuting to and from Port Loius. My other mainconcern is the religions. I'm practising Muslim. Is there mosques and halaal food places to shop

Thank you

Faizel Martin

There are mosques and halal food everywhere on the island, no problem

Hello,

We are moving to Mauritius in 3 days. Unfortunately just before Christmas I was told I needed some dental treatment and I have had no time to do it in the UK.
I urgently need this treatment and I am looking for a good private dental clinic/good dentist in the island.
Can anyone please let me know of any good dentist or dental clinic?
Thank you in advance.

Maybe you could contact the CLinique darné? http://www.cliniquedarne.com/

My wife and I would like to move to Mauritius. Does anyone have any idea of the cost for relocation of belongings via container and procedures. Thanks

I head somewhere a container roughly costs 3000 euros but I am not sure

Hi Julien

I am from Cape Town and will be moving to Mauritius in April, I will be working in Port Louis in a professional capacity and need to arrange accomodation and a car. My starting salary will be $5000.00 per month.

My questions are:

1. Where is the best place to stay? I am a single 33 year old male and I would need to meet people etc as I do not know anyone in Mauritius.

2. How should I go about arranging accomodation?

3. Will I be able to get around without a car for the first month as I can't buy one cash so will need to finance it which will probably take about a month.

4. Is $5000.00 enough money to live on and save some.

5000 USD? it's more than enough to live comfortably in Mauritius :)

I have to go I'll complete my answer a little bit later