Advice re finding legal work in Mauritius

Hello,

I am a Scottish national now residing in Mauritius as I am married to a Mauritian. I am looking for some advice on how to become a lawyer/paralegal/legal advisor in Mauritius.

I completed my LLB law degree at the University of Glasgow and obtained a 2.1. I have not completed any further study but worked as a paralegal for 2 years. I have been looking for legal jobs in Mauritius but there seems to be few vacancies available.

I spoke to someone at the University of Mauritius and was told that I should complete the Law Practitioners Vocational Course if I wanted to qualify as a lawyer. However, after speaking to someone at the Council of Legal Education I was told not to do the vocational course as I would only need to sit the bar exam at the Council. In order to sit the bar I need to have Mauritian citizenship first (which I will only get after residing in Mauritius for 4 years). I have contacted law firms with regards to completing internships but no one has gotten back to me. I have also contacted various organisations such as the bar association and the careers service for information which have been of no help. If anyone has been in a similar situation or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Thanks for your reply.

Do you know what the 7 month bar course for solicitors at the University of Mauritius is called just so I can gather some further details?

In Scotland to qualify as a solicitor you have to complete the diploma in legal practice and 2 years traineeship with a law firm. If I decided to do this in Scotland would I be able to come back to Mauritius and apply to qualified solicitor jobs or would there still be other requirements that need to be met (such as doing the bar course/pupillage)?

Okay, yeah that's the same course the University told me about but as you said I would need to be considered a Mauritian national first before being admitted to the course.

Thanks for your help :)

Hi. In my opinion the easy first step is to contact a few law firms and seek Internships which would get you going.

I can make you get in touch with a friend who is an Attorney-at-law.

Hope this helps.

Jude

Hi Jude,

That would be great, could you message me their details!
I have emailed a couple of firms but they dont reply.

Thank you,
Zafirah

Hello,

call them directly. Writing Emails is like playing lotto. :) Or visit the court at Port Louis in the morning.

Hi.I'm a law student and im a mauritian citizen.I  was planning to return to mauritius after my law degree.I was wondering what are the steps to become a lawyer in mauritius more specifically a solicitor?