Getting a Visa to Live in Germany

Hello everyone,

I am a student from the US who is looking to move to Germany on a work visa while completing my bachelor's degree online from a US institution and living with my boyfriend in Freiburg. I don't have anything above an associate's degree and I know that those are not really acknowledged by most German institutions, so my question is this: is it possible to get a visa for a job that does not require a bachelor's degree, and if so which areas of work are more likely to earn a visa (i.e doing home care vs. bartending)? Also, is there any other type of visa that may be a better fit for my situation?

Thanks in advance for your time, I really appreciate it!

Marina

Getting a work visa for Germany as a non-EU-citizen is difficult. You always need to pass the test if there is any suitably skilled citizen who is available and could do the job instead of you. Thus, I am afraid, home cleaning or waitressing would not work.
If you do not have other niche skills, you should explore the options of changing to a German university (and get a student visa) or marrying your boyfriend (and getting a family reunion visa).

Hi, thanks for your response! I currently do in home care for a special needs student. Would it be possible to get a job like that or as a nanny, au pair or babysitter and have the family write a letter confirming the position?

If you have a (recognised) nursing certificate, you have very good chances, as there is a shortage of nurses.
You could become Aupair (and live with the host family) if you fulfill the requirements (see https://www.aupairworld.com/en/au_pair_ … pair/check).
You have very little chance to get a visa as nanny or babysitter.