Visa required to renew permesso di soggiorno?

I currently have a visa for 1 one that expires in September 2018 to allow me to study in Italy for my master's program there which is of 2 years duration. My permesso di soggiorno expires around the same time of my Italian visa. If I wish to request a permesso di soggiorno by signing the “accordo d'integrazione” to allow me to stay for more than 12 months, do I need to renew my visa still? I am hoping I can avoid the process of having to renew the visa because it would require me to demonstrate that I have $12,000 in my bank account ($1,000 for every month of the next visa, which is limited to 12 months at a maximum). I am American.

Thanks for asking this because I was wondering about the exact same thing myself. In my case, being a Kenyan graduate student, would it require me to travel back home to go through the visa application process anew everytime a document is about to expire? You'll understand a student's budget doesn't lend itself to frequent, unplanned purchases of air tickets.

refusenick wrote:

Thanks for asking this because I was wondering about the exact same thing myself. In my case, being a Kenyan graduate student, would it require me to travel back home to go through the visa application process anew everytime a document is about to expire? You'll understand a student's budget doesn't lend itself to frequent, unplanned purchases of air tickets.

If you find out anything feel free to let me know! Thanks :)

You should not have to apply for a new visa in order to renew a PDS, provided that the PDS has not expired within the previous 60 days.  If the PDS  is more than 60 days expired, you must exit Italy and reapply for a visa for re-entry. 

Remember that a visa is permission to enter Italy, the PDS is permission to stay in Italy :)

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

You don't need to renew your visa separately if your residence permit Is getting renewed.
Once Residence permit is received, that replaces visa during its validity period. Residence
Permit plus passport is your travel document allowing you to stay, travel out and in to the country during its validity period.

Oops.
Two responses collided :) thanks romaniac.

So cdsatter,
You have your answer now.

Thank you! Will I have problems then if I leave the country after 6 months even though I have a multiple entry visa for one year?

What do you mean by that ? :)

Thanks romaniac and aneeshks. Both answers very clear. By the way, regarding the 60 days rule, any idea how long the PDS renewal process typically lasts?

cdsatter wrote:

Will I have problems then if I leave the country after 6 months even though I have a multiple entry visa for one year?

I understand, that multiple entry includes multiple  leaving as well. ;)
Janin

Hi! 

My permesso expires 2 days before I return to Rome.  I have been away from Italy this summer, working to support my studies.  I could not renew before I left, it was too early.  Will I be able to renew? My visa expires Oct 2.

Thanks!

Hi, I came back to the Philippines on September 20, 2015, the reason why I decided to come back to the Philippines was to enroll and finish my studies but my permesso de soggiorno expired (sept 30,2015) before i came back in the philippines the reason why i decide to come back it is because of conflict enrollment scheduled. If I stay to renew my Persmisso di Soggiorno, I won't make it in time for the enrollment which is in October 2015 and when i graduate last July 07, 2019 i decided to apply for re-entry visa but my application was denied. :( but the embassy to us that we can appeal. Do you think we have a chance?

My son has an USA passport with his Italian study visa expiring on 15th Oct.

He is already in Milan and has paid his college fees for the new semester.

Can he get his student visa renewed without leaving Italy? Or does he have to go to Geneva Italian Consulate personally?

He has already applied for his PDS and awaiting his interview in six months.

Thanks

My son has an USA passport with his Italian study visa expiring on 15th Oct.

He is already in Milan and has paid his college fees for the new semester.

Can he get his student visa renewed without leaving Italy? Or does he have to go to Geneva Italian Consulate personally?

He has already applied for his PDS and awaiting his interview in six months.

Thanks

I have applied for Erasmus from macerata, Italy to Valencia ,spain during my Master's program  .My visa is expired and Permesso di soggiorno is in renewal but I have to leave for Erasmus studyship by the end of January 2021 and my PDS date for fingerprints is in April even after after request to change date for earlier there is no positive response by taking covid-19 as a shield for not talking the request. Is their a way I can travel with my Indian passport and renewal slip of Permesso di soggiorno to Spain?

Any useful information regarding this would be very helpful !!