Anyone going to teach / work in Kuwait from UK?

Hi guys, just got offered a job in Kuwait to teach, anyone else going there or already teach there? Moving there on my own ? I've lived in London practically all my life, British Asian, In my mid 20s, anyone around that age living there already?

How is life in Kuwait in general? I understand it doesn't have the hustle and bustle of Dubai (I've been offered a position there too) but I've been there before and would ideally would like to leave it as a place i can fly to time to time. According to posts regarding Kuwait, its a good place to work if you want to save and travel so i hear.

Any info would be appreciated.

Hello rifraf,

If you take some time to read through the forum you will find a wealth of info regarding your concerns. For any specific questions, ask away.

And yes, there are a lot of people from UK working here as teachers, hopefully some of them will chime in.

Hey I haven't moved there yet but I will be in just over 2 weeks time. When are you moving ? or did you decide on Dubai in the end?

Im mid 20s too from England (the north) and going out there to teach on a 2 year contract.

Kate

Hi Kate, i signed a 1 year contract and going to Kuwait, im going there end of August. My school here in London closed on Friday for the summer, so will now have a bit of time to sort the formalities out. Decided to opt for Kuwait in the end as its a good place to based and travel around to other countries (and dubai) during the school holidays. Feel free to DM me 😊

@ribosom Thanks pal! 👍🏻

Kuwait is great place to live and save money. Good infrastructure, grand malls, almost all the global brands available at lesser cost, amazing coastal area, restaurants etc.

On the other side, it is conservative country. Alcohol is not allowed. Though I heard it is available somewhere, I would not like to break the law. It is better to obey the laws without arguments. Whether the laws are good or not good, let the law makers decide.

Same thing goes with school. Whether the school rules are good or bad, let the school owner decide. You are supposed to follow them.

You will find students from very very humble to very notorious. You will find that their pocket money is more than your salary. These aspects should not disturb you. Unfortunately, many teachers go into all type of arguments / discussions when they very well know  there is no result. Many teachers indulge in politics and they drag others also. Teachers of same country starts making their groups. Stay away from all these and you would love it.

The type of school where you will be working makes a big difference. If it is a completely privately owned school that receives no government funds, the expectations will be different than those that do receive private funds.

I worked in Kuwait for 4  years, from 2009-2013, and I loved it. But my understanding is that it has become much more expensive now, so getting a job that still gives free accommodation is good.

Guys have a much easier time than girls as many people hit on Western females thinking they are all "easy" or in hopes of immigrating (Kuwaitis don't do this, but many other Arabs do).

Personally, I can't stand Dubai - but if you want to kick back and spend a weekend where you can drink and eat what you want, there are always Bahrain and Oman to enjoy.