Working in Torono

Hi,

I have recently moved to Toronto from Australia. I have started applying for jobs in the Banking and Finance industry but have found that despite having 14 years experience in Operations, I have only been shortlisted for 2 out of 20+ applications I have applied.; most of which I would have been more than qualified for in Australia.

I have told on several occasions that:
- local work experience is preferred and that rarely do companies gamble on overseas applicants
- recruitment agencies will not contact you at all if you are not shortlisted and do not assist in the job hunting process.
- networking is the only way to seek out opportunities that are not advertised

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

RoryPower wrote:

Hi,

I have recently moved to Toronto from Australia. I have started applying for jobs in the Banking and Finance industry but have found that despite having 14 years experience in Operations, I have only been shortlisted for 2 out of 20+ applications I have applied.; most of which I would have been more than qualified for in Australia.

I have told on several occasions that:
- local work experience is preferred and that rarely do companies gamble on overseas applicants
- recruitment agencies will not contact you at all if you are not shortlisted and do not assist in the job hunting process.
- networking is the only way to seek out opportunities that are not advertised

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Hi Rory,

I hear you. That's common theme throughout. Often what I hear is that some folks gamble on heading out to smaller cities, since the competition is not as fierce. Mind you the word - "gamble", because the risk is - is there enough jobs out there for you to apply for? Then after a few years of working, then move back to the bigger city.

I am not very familiar with the GTA landscape with regards to networking but over here where I am at, Halifax, there's a not for profit organization that is funded by the province to help spur the economy http://www.halifaxpartnership.com/en/home/default.aspx
They do organize networking events from time to time and it was from one of those events that I met my first employer while in Canada. I guess the challenge for you is to find similar organizations back in Toronto and find out if they do organize networking events that you can participate in.

Philip

How long have you been in Canada?

Where are you living in the GTA?

I could introduce you to an opportunity if you are interested in coming to Newmarket for a visit?