How tough to get a job in Toronto?

I came across shared testimonies and experiences in many forums that, despite of calling Canada as "Land of opportunity", immigrants are finding very very tough time to get a decent job, in many cases survival jobs.

Now, lets be straight and relaistic to this issue. How tough it is to get job in Toranto?
1. Employers often require Canadian experience, this is conflicting since new immigrants can't have canadian experence.

2. If English (and Franch in case of Canada) native speakers  find it hard to get job how horrible it would be for the non english speakers like the asian?

3. How a poor new immigrant who came to Canada to work to earn survive for months if not years without a job?

I am a PhD holder in political science is there job prospects, if move to Canada? I heard that every new immigrant starts with zero. Edicational qualification outside canada are not accepted. How far this is true?

Now, lets be straight and relaistic to this issue. How tough it is to get job in Toranto?

depending on how choosy you are.
and also what's your background, and command of written and spoken English

2. If English (and Franch in case of Canada) native speakers  find it hard to get job how horrible it would be for the non english speakers like the asian?

depending on one's command of the language and how resourceful one is.

3. How a poor new immigrant who came to Canada to work to earn survive for months if not years without a job?

Savings and loads of extra funds. Eat and live on the cheap. Maybe shop at Costco or couponing etc.

I am a PhD holder in political science is there job prospects, if move to Canada? I heard that every new immigrant starts with zero. Edicational qualification outside canada are not accepted. How far this is true?

I am not too sure how relevant is your political science degree is here. Since you are PhD scholar, you might want to consider pursuing a post doc role here. I am not too sure if that's easy or not. But note: post docs don't earn much and they are usually on contract. Not all immigrants starts from zero. I didn't.  And education qualification outside Canada would not matter depending on industry.

Brother I am new to Costco or couponing that you have mentioned. Would you please let me what they are?

Costco - bulk buying retail outlet that requires one to pay a yearly membership before you can go and buy things from there. Very popular in north america, that includes Canada too.

Couponing - a very for collecting coupons and using it together with your purchases to bring down the cost. Don't be trap in the old world of doing things - which is just coupons from newspaper or magazines. Lots of coupon or discount related apps online which you can use as well in conjunction with your grocery shopping like checkout51, filpp, groupon, etc

Interesting. I am planning to move Canada in the near future we are family of 4. Please let me know:
1. If rent outside the city/centre will  constraints in finding job? Will this hamper travelling to work place?
2. How much minimum CAN $ will survive us?
3. How people go to office, market during winter?
4. Can I start own business like opening small restaurant or shop? How easy or dofficult to do that?

georgehaokip wrote:

Interesting. I am planning to move Canada in the near future we are family of 4. Please let me know:
1. If rent outside the city/centre will  constraints in finding job? Will this hamper travelling to work place?
2. How much minimum CAN $ will survive us?
3. How people go to office, market during winter?
4. Can I start own business like opening small restaurant or shop? How easy or dofficult to do that?

Hi George,

You're a PhD grad, how much of a research have you done on  your own for the questions you have posed to me. Let me know what you know first and I'll chip in from there.

I did a bit of research and I dont know how reliable my sources are. Most of the info are  from social media groups. There are differiences in province to province and again  contradicted and differient information from people.

Hi
I'm told that finding decent job in canada for newly immigrants is not very easy. A develop country like Canada, most of the demanded jobs are largely concentrated in the field of health, IT and engineering sector while I am from Social Science which i thin is almost obsolete. So, I think of starting my own business like running a small restaurant or start cleaning business, etc.

I know things will be tough for non native, non english speaker like me but i insit on moving to Canada for better children's education, health service and to make my generation live in western countries.

Pl let me also know the  prospect of pursuing Post doctorate in Canada. How easy or tough in social science (political science)?

you can always find a job like Startbucks etc, but for smth better - it's hard indeed.

you may go to a career center/consultant
or outreach with CV on your own
or do networking :)  should work the best
find where to meet potential employers or outreach via platforms like  LinkedIn

As student/phD, you can work 20h per week. You can find job in fast-food, by example, but with a family it is very risked...

Don't forget you must have already enough money for one year, studies fees included, about 20000$-30000$ for one person, so if you are 3 or 4, count 50000$

While waiting to get a job, invest in a profitable side hustle. Who knows that will become your main source of income and you'll never think of getting a job anymore.

I am soon to be immigrant, but not in Canada. I know getting a job abroad is hard - the qualifications I have in my country may not be relevant or acceptable in the other country. I am sure I can get a job, but not the one I would like or not related to my profession. So I think ahead and prepare myself to be economically independent after relocation. I have invested in a digital business, so I can bring this with me wherever I go. Lots of people from Canada are into this business also, and lots of them have quit their jobs as they are earning a lot bigger than their 3 to 5 jobs. It's worth checking. And starting it is a lot easier than getting a job.