HELP! BRITISH POSTGRADUATE CAN'T EVEN GET A JOB INTERVIEW

Here's the deal..

I moved to Toronto several months ago to reunite with my other half (we had been doing long distance for 12 months). He is Canadian and was born in Toronto. He has a good job here and one of us had to move. I was finishing my masters in London so we chose Toronto - for his income and because London is expensive. I have two years of working visas and I am awaiting PR through him - I should have it before 1 year has even run out.  We aren't breaking up and I am not going anywhere.

The problem is, nobody will employ me. I'm not even getting INTERVIEWS!

I've got two degrees from UCL (graduating in the top 10% of my year) and 2+ years experience as an analyst (multinational) , plus loads of other admin/retail experience.

I am a great candidate and I don't just say that because I'm full of myself...I've been told so by numerous recruiters and contacts and I've never had problems getting work before....even in London with a much worse job market, I turned down two entry level well paid jobs to come here. I started applying to some jobs back in London and I already have two interview requests. So I know its not me, it must be Toronto.

I'm doing everything; networking, applying online, in person, recruitment agencies. I've sent my resume to everyone I know and everyone my other-half knows.

I've 'Canadianised' my resume..........every recruiter I have spoken to says its incredibly strong, that I should have no problem finding work. Yet I can't even get someone to interview me for jobs I am far overqualified for. A contact of ours said he would employ me straight away, but his business is far from Toronto and we can't relocate and give up our only income and home.

What can I do? It is so depressing and my other half just feels bad for me as I put my successful career on hold to be with him. I am looking at minimum wage jobs, despite always being an excellent candidate.

I'm feeling so downtrodden as I want to make a life for myself here and I have spent so much money on visas and the whole moving process. I actually thought it would be easier for me to settle here than the other way around. I am also scared that I will never be able to have a fruitful career here, because I will never be given the opportunity to progress in a professional role.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Hi BritAl,

Welcome to Expat-blog :).

From my perspective, maybe you should try to talk to some of your close relatives or friends, sometimes the best advise come from them.. One thing i'm 100% sure is that, they will ask you to be patient or take each day at a time :), but sometimes they do come up with the best advise. The best thing to do here, is to talk and ask question as much as you can. Communication really rules when it comes to find a job. Try to speak to your other half as well, he will bring the support you need right now and will boost you. Like I tend to say.. Circumstances fail not us.. and here the situation is a bit unfair as you are far overqualified.

Have you tried to post your resume in the Jobs in Toronto section ? If no, i suggest you do so, it might end up be very helpful :).

Also have a look on this article in the guide about - Find a job in Toronto.

Don't hesitate to keep posting in the forum and asking questions or even keep us update with your job hunting. I'm sure the members of Expat-blog will help out getting a job as soon as possible :).

Again i wish you Good Luck.. Keep it up :D

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team.

Hi BritAl,

It's not at all difficult to understand why you're not even getting interviews. Unfortunately Toronto is number 1 on the list for all newcomers to Canada, followed by Montreal and Vancouver. The vast majority of newcomers won't even consider living in other areas. This creates a much greater demand for employment than the supply of available jobs. This is compounded by the fact that Canada has suffered because of the US economic problems over the past serveral years. You end up in an uphill battle to find a job right alongside hundreds and hundreds of other candidates, both newcomers and Canadian who are unemployed. This is something you should have expected if you had done some research about Toronto and the job situation before you moved, which is a prudent thing all potential expats should do.

You don't need to take my word for the situation in Toronto, you need only look at other areas in Canada that are thriving and where there's more jobs available than workers to fill them. Calgary and Edmonton for example, in fact all of Alberta is going through an incredible growth phase.

It doesn't help much to have a spectacular resumé if the rest of the candidate pool also has resumés that are probably equally spectacular, unfortunately.

I sympathize with your situation, but hopefully understanding WHY the situation exists will help you figure out some way out of it.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I move from Toronto and now I am in fort Mcmurray, Alberta I think is better to move here and make money

Hello Katjatako,

Thankyou for your posting which helps to confirm what I've been telling prospective newcomers to Canada, that jobs are very scarce in the most sought after centers in Canada (Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver) and that they are much easier to find in other cities, especially in the Province of Alberta. Coming from you, someone who has actually done exactly that and found work carries much more weight than a simple recommendation from me. Again, many thanks.

http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67118.gif  Cheers,  http://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/flag/t67054.gif
  William James Woodward – Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Welcome to canada the land of no jobs! I stopped looking 3 years ago! I am canadian born and educated. The media lies about the true unemployment rate they just want you here to pay excessively high tax rates. Do you want to work for free for 6 months because that is what you have to do in canada. The taxes for almost all but the rich is 50%. The longest I had a job in canada was 4 years in vancouver at a university. Your whole life here will be looking for a job or trying to find a new one as if you get a job its usually temporary contract and the wages have been cut in half with the employment agencies. In fact the agency I worked for my recruiter who is out of work now too as there is little work. The government laid off 100,000 just in ottawa alone. There is outsourcing of jobs to india and chinese. The small business man his taxes are too high to stay afloat. The province of ontario is deperate now to make more tax money now if u spent 25 dollars on  your debit card the govt will take 1 dollar. Too much immigration is the main reason we are in this mess and billions of dollars wasted. The only reason they bring in outsiders is to drive the wages down and destroy the unions and thereby the rich can become richer....alot of foreignors own some of the companies now and they dont give a hoot about keeping the money in canada so alot of money goes right out of canada into a foreign bank account somewhere.......

Hi BriAL,

Your story is sad indeed and I sincerely hope that you will find something soon. But you know what? It makes me even more sad, because you are a natural English-speaker with great education and experience from London. I've moved in Toronto 3 years ago, I am French. At first, i thought ok my diplomas and experience are not recognized in Canada, so I went back to college in Toronto. I earn a degree in film post-production, I improved considerably my English, volunteered here and there, I'm told that I'm good in my field and that I should have no problem finding a job. However I struggle like a damned and won't even get interviewed.

I never worked more that a few month in Canada even though I apply to entry-level positions in various fields. Now I'm seriously considering to leave this country and go back to Europe as it seems the job market was falsely advertised.

Now, me, going to Alberta ? In this far and cold place ? I mean, come on ! what am I going to do over there, rodeo ? Nah, I'm not feeling it.
I'm starting to be depressed as well but now I understand it's not necessarily me, it's the job market.
I'll continue seeking of course but after a certain limit, if nothing comes out, I'll have to make a decision. Good luck.

I realize i may not be very helping and I'm sorry. But I'm sure you'll get something soon anyway.