Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H)

cinnamonape wrote:

Some new specifications regarding the Peninsular MM2H have now been posted on the MM2H.gov site.

http://mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/list-of … pplication

Most are minor (passport photo background color) but others regarding the off-shore proof of income levels of couple applications are interesting.

More information regarding the Letter of Good Conduct requirements.

Also it appears that one can now use the FD Withdrawal for the purchase of a new or used car, with some requirements. Also pharmaceuticals.
http://mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/list-of … ed-deposit

Anyone have any comments on how a new applicant is to obtain a certified TRUE copy of the passport particulars page if a Commissioner of Oaths is no longer allowed to cerify it?

Still some ambiguity there. E.g. is a LoGC required only for HK and Singapore applicants, or for everyone?

A Notary Public can be used in place of a Commissioner for Oaths. Possibly a Lawyer, too.

Wasn't a letter of good conduct required before as well? I know I submitted one along with my application.

floaton wrote:

Wasn't a letter of good conduct required before as well? I know I submitted one along with my application.

Yes, it was, and I'm sure it still is for everyone. It's just me nitpicking the ambiguous grammar. :)

As noted in the announcement:  "Effective date: 18 March 2019" So my assumption is that applications already in process would not be affected.

Probably there are different rationales for the reason they put regulations in...and it may depend on the Minister or Assistant Minister and their preconceptions and prejudices that they come into office with. Some probably have a better grasp of who is applying and using the program than others. The idea that MM2H is being used by on-line gamblers, on-line scammers, and money launderers for organized crime does seem a bit far-fetched. These people don't have less onerous means of setting up their schemes? Couldn't they come in on a tourist pass, use local "cut-outs", etc.

It's sort of akin to thinking that MM2H recipients are buying up so many multi-million dollar properties that it is having some major impact on property inflation and affordability for average Malaysians. MM2H has had about 30,000 recipients over the last 20 years (many of those non-renewals). That's tiny compared to the population size....tourism in genera...or expats coming in on work-visas.

Some news today!
MM2H: Task force ditubuhkan bagi licinkan permohonan https://www.sinarharian.com.my/article/14910

Translated summary by my agent.

1. Tourism Ministry create special a task force to handle MM2H application.
2. The task force will start in March 19 and ends July 2019. Within that 4 months period they hope to finalize total of 3,727 applications.
3. Immigration & Police Depts. will involve.
4. So far 894 applications has been submitted to Mins of Home Affairs for approval.

The webpage https://www.sarawak.gov.my/web/home/art … w/221/279/ has been updated on 12 March 2019. Do you find any change of requirements and regulations of S-MM2H?

I don't see any changes at all. Though they seem to have removed the comment about upcoming changes. Maybe they don't want questions or lobbying regarding the possible changes.

Even the error about receiving a 10-Year Visa (rather than 5 Years) is retained. As Cobolin has pointed out they actually don't accept Sarawak Permanent Residents as sponsors. And they retain the "Sarawak My Second Home recipients may live anywhere in Malaysia" wording. In practice, that is no longer true of Sabah.

cinnamonape wrote:

I don't see any changes at all. Though they seem to have removed the comment about upcoming changes. Maybe they don't want questions or lobbying regarding the possible changes.

Even the error about receiving a 10-Year Visa (rather than 5 Years) is retained. As Cobolin has pointed out they actually don't accept Sarawak Permanent Residents as sponsors. And they retain the "Sarawak My Second Home recipients may live anywhere in Malaysia" wording. In practice, that is no longer true of Sabah.

Hi cinnamonape,  is it true that the Sarawak SM2H still requires a Sarawak citizen to sponsor for each application ?  Thanks

Yes...as noted by cobolin (on the Sarawak M2H topic) there is an error in the "comparison" statement.

Currently, pending any revisions, the applicant must have a Sarawak CITIZEN be the sponsor. Recent applications using a Permanent Resident have failed (though Immigration allowed resubmission by the applicant when they obtained a Sarawakian sponsor).

cinnamonape wrote:

Yes...as noted by cobolin (on the Sarawak M2H topic) there is an error in the "comparison" statement.

Currently, pending any revisions, the applicant must have a Sarawak CITIZEN be the sponsor. Recent applications using a Permanent Resident have failed (though Immigration allowed resubmission by the applicant when they obtained a Sarawakian sponsor).

Thanks for the above info.  To find a Sarawak citizen's sponsor seems to be the most difficult point to fulfill.  Is there any official or non-official channel to get Sarawak citizen's sponsor ?

Only non-official channels. The government currently does not act as a sponsor (as on the Peninsula for independent applicants). Furthermore the Sarawak Immigration ministry does not allow agents, which means an agent cannot act as a sponsor.

So yes, finding a sponsor is the most difficult point to fulfill and requires that one come to Sarawak to meet people willing to act as a sponsor. In addition the sponsor cannot be an employee of the Ministry of Culture, Tourism & Sports; the Ministry of Immigration; or the Ministry of Health.

For independent peninsular applications the table is also wrong as there is no requirement for a Malaysian citizen to be a sponsor. The Bond form can be signed by anyone legally resident in Malaysia. I used an Australian citizen who was a company director here.

Gravitas wrote:

For independent peninsular applications the table is also wrong as there is no requirement for a Malaysian citizen to be a sponsor. The Bond form can be signed by anyone legally resident in Malaysia. I used an Australian citizen who was a company director here.

Just to be clear...the above question was about the Sarawak M2H program...which does require the sponsor to be a Sarawakian citizen. You are referring, I believe, to the list comparing the requirements between the Sarawak M2H and the MM2H and pointing out that a Malaysian (including non-citizen) Permanent Resident may be a sponsor for MM2H. This is mainly done by the directors who are agents.

For the Peninsula it's largely irrelevant in any case as in individual applications  the bond is paid up-front to the Ministry of Tourism and held in escrow until either a) the recipient withdraws from MM2H or b) the bond is used to deport the recipient (in case of a no-no).

It's not even necessary for the Bond form witness to be a PR (peninsular independent application)

cinnamonape wrote:

Only non-official channels. The government currently does not act as a sponsor (as on the Peninsula for independent applicants). Furthermore the Sarawak Immigration ministry does not allow agents, which means an agent cannot act as a sponsor.

So yes, finding a sponsor is the most difficult point to fulfill and requires that one come to Sarawak to meet people willing to act as a sponsor. In addition the sponsor cannot be an employee of the Ministry of Culture, Tourism & Sports; the Ministry of Immigration; or the Ministry of Health.

Hi Cinnamonape,  it seems that it's only possible if you really have good Sarawak citizen friends.

Sarawakians tend to be helpful provided that they feel the person is honest and that they are not taking extraordinary financial or judicial risks. There have been concerns that some individuals may be misusing the program to start businesses and perhaps foment trouble. We recently had an incident where an Egyptian was arrested for membership in a terrorist group, and there have been reports of foreigners (Chinese and Pakistanis) peddling.  These are not likely to be Sarawak MM2H applicants, but it could raise some barriers.

" Underground" agents still exist, though they unofficially try to "soak" applicants (ridiculously high fees) that contact them in my opinion.  The Ministry of Immigration appears to place a quota on how many people can be sponsored by one person or group.  I don't know if that puts the applicant at risk if the "agent" is discovered to have "brokered" the application.

Sometimes there is a private arrangement to cover the costs of the bond and for the trouble of undertaking the interview.

I suggest at least one extended preliminary visit (1-2 months), and speaking to people in affiliated fields or areas (or social groups- clubs, churches, etc) you are interested in, and letting them know that you would like to legitimately retire in Sarawak but need a sponsor. Another possibility is the potential landlord.   But that may mean getting tied into a long-term lease arrangement (for the term of the visa).  Or if you have a school age child, the school.

I've suggested to the MoTourism and MoImmigration that the government actually pick up the responsibility - like on the mainland- since agents are not "legally allowed" and perhaps shift the role of sponsor to one of simply a "recommender". This would allow the government to collect the bond fee, under escrow, and not worry about the hassle of having to try and collect it from a sponsor IF it was ever required. It could be rolled into the FD account.

Of course, maybe there is the feeling that they want to keep the program hard to apply for-  and small and unsuccessful. You oftentimes hear the slogan "We don't want every Tom, Dick or Harry" when it comes to anything applied to through the government (whether business licenses, tourists, students, job permits, etc.).  Sometimes, through their process they actually increase the probability of people doing "end runs" and not being regulated properly.

cinnamonape wrote:

Sarawakians tend to be helpful provided that they feel the person is honest and that they are not taking extraordinary financial or judicial risks. There have been concerns that some individuals may be misusing the program to start businesses and perhaps foment trouble. We recently had an incident where an Egyptian was arrested for membership in a terrorist group, and there have been reports of foreigners (Chinese and Pakistanis) peddling.  These are not likely to be Sarawak MM2H applicants, but it could raise some barriers.

" Underground" agents still exist, though they unofficially try to "soak" applicants (ridiculously high fees) that contact them in my opinion.  The Ministry of Immigration appears to place a quota on how many people can be sponsored by one person or group.  I don't know if that puts the applicant at risk if the "agent" is discovered to have "brokered" the application.

Sometimes there is a private arrangement to cover the costs of the bond and for the trouble of undertaking the interview.

I suggest at least one extended preliminary visit (1-2 months), and speaking to people in affiliated fields or areas (or social groups- clubs, churches, etc) you are interested in, and letting them know that you would like to legitimately retire in Sarawak but need a sponsor. Another possibility is the potential landlord.   But that may mean getting tied into a long-term lease arrangement (for the term of the visa).  Or if you have a school age child, the school.

I've suggested to the MoTourism and MoImmigration that the government actually pick up the responsibility - like on the mainland- since agents are not "legally allowed" and perhaps shift the role of sponsor to one of simply a "recommender". This would allow the government to collect the bond fee, under escrow, and not worry about the hassle of having to try and collect it from a sponsor IF it was ever required. It could be rolled into the FD account.

Of course, maybe there is the feeling that they want to keep the program hard to apply for-  and small and unsuccessful. You oftentimes hear the slogan "We don't want every Tom, Dick or Harry" when it comes to anything applied to through the government (whether business licenses, tourists, students, job permits, etc.).  Sometimes, through their process they actually increase the probability of people doing "end runs" and not being regulated properly.

Thanks for the above very detail explanation of true situation for finding Sarawak citizen sponsor.  Actually I've submitted application of MM2H directly (without agent) at early Dec last year. My application status is still 'received for verification' on MM2H website.   As I plan to relocate to KL  with my wife and my son who will continue his grade 10 or grade 11 in international school at Sep this year of Jan next year.  Therefore,  I just believe that SM2h is the onlly alternative for my family in case the MM2H application fails or no progress until May of this year.

cinnamonape: You wrote on Malaysia Expat Forum on 13/03/2019 that for S-MM2H the FD= Deposit (needs to be) placed in Malaysian (or Sarawakian bank) for the term of the visa. My question is: Is there any change of policy regarding the placement of FD in a Sarwakian bank? Many thanks.

Not that I know of...It should be in a Sarawak branch. But it can be in a Malaysian HQ bank WITH a Sarawak branch. EG. Public Bank, CIMB, Maybank, etc all have branches in Sarawak. Inasmuch as any qualified withdrawal or total removal (upon termination of the visa) must be applied for through the Sarawak Ministry of Tourism and the Ministry of Immigration, Sarawak it makes sense. These Ministries don't have authority in the Peninsula.

Why do you believe there has been a "change of policy" regarding this?

cinnamonape: I thought that the FD required for S-MM2H can be opened in a bank branch either in Peninsula Malaysia or Sarawak just because of your posting on Malaysia Expat Forum. Thanks.

The page http://www.mm2h.gov.my/images/pdf/NEW%2 … CATION.pdf says: 'Applicant is required to submit the copies of passport particular page and ALL pages  that  contain  entry/exit  stamp.  Only  the  passport  particular page is required to be validated (Certified True Copy).' Does this mean that the MM2H authority has changed its previous requirement of copying all pages of the passport?

"C. FINANCIAL PROOF
• An original copy of Fixed Deposit Placement Letter issued by relevant bank in Sarawak and a copy of certified true copy of Fixed Deposit Receipt [amount to RM 150,000.00 (for couple) or RM 100,000.00 (for individual)]"

https://mtacys.sarawak.gov.my/upload/fi … CLUDED.pdf

If you already have a Peninsular account you can have it transferred to the Sarawak Branch to establish the Fixed Deposit. For the above-mentioned reasons - you need permission from the Sarawak Ministry of Tourism and the Sarawak Ministry of Immigration to get a letter to make the allowable withdrawals or to close out the account when you leave the program- the FD must be based in Sarawak bank branch. If you withdraw from the deposit without the proper permissions you risk voiding your visa.

Obaydullah wrote:

The page http://www.mm2h.gov.my/images/pdf/NEW%2 … CATION.pdf says: 'Applicant is required to submit the copies of passport particular page and ALL pages  that  contain  entry/exit  stamp.  Only  the  passport  particular page is required to be validated (Certified True Copy).' Does this mean that the MM2H authority has changed its previous requirement of copying all pages of the passport?

If you are applying to Sarawak I suggest that you contact the Sarawak Immigration Department directly as to their requirements. The changes were definitely made for the Peninsular MM2H but whether these apply to the Sarawak program would require you to contact them directly.

The number of specific questions you are asking are best dealt with a direct and personal visit to the Ministry of Immigration in Kuching. After all, between someone with the last application and your application there may be policy changes.

Just found an announcement on the Joy-Stay website from December 2018 that 75% of the minimum qualifying monthly income of MYR 10k must come from regular sources ie Salary or Pensions
http://www.joy-stay.com/NewAnnouncement.html

Also mentions new procedures for applications numbered 36,XXX ie made April /May 2018

schlee1231 wrote:

To find a Sarawak citizen's sponsor seems to be the most difficult point to fulfill.  Is there any official or non-official channel to get Sarawak citizen's sponsor ?

I would think that if you ask a realtor or an owner of a property, which you intend to rent in Sarawak, they will be more than happy to be your sponsor. You help them and they help you.  :)

Obaydullah wrote:

Applicant is required to submit the copies of passport particular page and ALL pages  that  contain  entry/exit  stamp.   Does this mean that the MM2H authority has changed its previous requirement of copying all pages of the passport?

It was required to submit only the copies of passport particular page before this announcement.

Basically I interpret that means don't copy all the blank pages. Probably want to see if you traveled to Isreal?

For every type of visa application it has always been necessary to submit a copy of the whole passport so nothing new.

Good news....

https://www.thesundaily.my/local/mm2h-a … d-BK738388

Yes good news, but I saw those same numbers in another news article a few weeks ago? If I recall=
IIRC

I submitted my application directly to MM2H office on early Dec/2018. My status has changed from 'received for verification' to 'Pending committee approval' last week.  It seems that the approval procedure has not been stopped for the past few months.

Very good nice I hope to see that soon.
Thanks for the update mine was filed first week of January.

Interesting tidbit about the number of apps this year and the number of folks applying to buy homes of RM1M and higher...

https://www.bharian.com.my/berita/nasio … lusan-mm2h

The comma is misleading.

Either since 5th September 268 applications or since September there have been 5,268 approvals

More likely 268.

There is no longer a lower fixed deposit if mm2h applicants own property over 1 million. But withdrawing portion of FD is still possible if property purchase is made after mm2h approval. In some States the minimum purchase price by foreigners is well under 1 million. Guess the statistic is based on FD withdrawals but not conclusive in terms of overall level of property purchases connected to Mm2h. In PG most people are renting because such low monthly charge compared to property value and specifications. Tenants are also getting reductions in rentals as it's a renters market and property values are still falling due to oversupply and habit of investors only purchasing off plan property.

Actually, I was for some reason impressed with the 268 number even....

If it weren't for my wife's family being over there in Malaysia, I would certainly agree with you that buying property there is not the way to go (unless big piece of ocean front land).  There is always a new condo development going up down the street.  Why would any investor buy yours, right?

Gravitas wrote:

The comma is misleading.

Either since 5th September 268 applications or since September there have been 5,268 approvals

More likely 268.

There is no longer a lower fixed deposit if mm2h applicants own property over 1 million. But withdrawing portion of FD is still possible if property purchase is made after mm2h approval. In some States the minimum purchase price by foreigners is well under 1 million. Guess the statistic is based on FD withdrawals but not conclusive in terms of overall level of property purchases connected to Mm2h. In PG most people are renting because such low monthly charge compared to property value and specifications. Tenants are also getting reductions in rentals as it's a renters market and property values are still falling due to oversupply and habit of investors only purchasing off plan property.

Do you have any source where it says that the property has to be purchased after mm2h approval to withdraw the portion of FD?  That was not the case earlier.

Here is the minimum purchase price and location.

https://www.mm2h.com/here-are-the-lates … -property/

shcnno wrote:

Do you have any source where it says that the property has to be purchased after mm2h approval to withdraw the portion of FD?  That was not the case earlier.

Do you have a source for your statement.

Isn't it a benefit of Mm2h to be able to reduce the FD by certain types of expenses one year after stamping of visa

An agent told me that a while ago, that it was much easier to just place the full amount and withdraw after 1 year compared to getting approved the purchase before the visa (while that was still possible).

I haven't seen in the rules that they write that you need to purchase the property after you have received the visa.

I see what the issue seems to be. Sncnno seems to be asking if one can BUY property within the first year of residence and then APPLY later for reimbursement. That seems to be possible.

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/app … quirements

"Please be advised that the withdrawal is on a reimbursement basis and release of money will be made based on the amount paid.

Withdrawal can be made after the first year, effective from date of MM2H social visit pass endorsement in the passport."

You still must maintain the minimum amount of FD in your account after this withdrawal.

In fact I'm not sure you could withdraw the money before the purchase or approval prior to the issuance of the visa. Under the old system (now ended) you could request a reduction in your FD if you had already purchased RM1million of property.

That program has been terminated as of last year.
http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/lis … nt-pension