Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H)

teaslinger :

Is there a published list anywhere showing the minimum purchase prices by state for MM2H participants?

Well particularly need to check with the state land office.
Popular destination:
Kuala Lumpur    : minimum RM 1 million regardless landed or high rise
Selangor              : minimum RM 2 million limited to strata title only
Penang                : MM2H holder max. 2 unit high rise RM 500k, landed RM 1million
Perak Ipoh          : previously min. RM 350k, I heard now increase to RM 1million
Malacca               : High rise min. RM 500k, landed min. RM 1 million
Johor                    : Medini special district min. RM 500k, other RM 1 million
Negeri Sembilan: Recently increased to min. RM 2million, limited to leasehold property only.

Thanks... how about Sarawak?

patrick137 :
teaslinger :

Is there a published list anywhere showing the minimum purchase prices by state for MM2H participants?

Popular destination:
Penang                : MM2H holder max. 2 unit high rise RM 500k, landed RM 1million
Perak Ipoh          : previously min. RM 350k, I heard now increase to RM 1million
Johor                    : Medini special district min. RM 500k, other RM 1 million
Negeri Sembilan: Recently increased to min. RM 2million, limited to leasehold property only.

teaslinger :

patrick137 :
teaslinger :

Popular destination:

I don't have idea about Sarawak because Sarawak is less popular and total different rules. If you intent to stay in Sarawak, you have to apply mm2h in Sarawak not peninsula Malaysia. The state hold their own immigration authority which no need to follow federal order. I believe for buying property over Sarawak will have more requirement compare to peninsula Malaysia.
I only know that property at East Malaysia are expensive. Kota Kinabalu, Sabah property sell up to RM 1500 psf.

Really?  I can't join the Sarawak MM2H program as I am not over 50.  With MM2H you can't also live in Sarawak/Sabah?

patrick137 :
teaslinger :

patrick137 :

Popular destination:

I don't have idea about Sarawak because Sarawak is less popular and total different rules. If you intent to stay in Sarawak, you have to apply mm2h in Sarawak not peninsula Malaysia. The state hold their own immigration authority which no need to follow federal order. I believe for buying property over Sarawak will have more requirement compare to peninsula Malaysia.
I only know that property at East Malaysia are expensive. Kota Kinabalu, Sabah property sell up to RM 1500 psf.

teaslinger :

Really?  I can't join the Sarawak MM2H program as I am not over 50.  With MM2H you can't also live in Sarawak/Sabah?

patrick137 :
teaslinger :

With MM2H which applied in West Malaysia you only entitle to stay in Sabah and Sarawak for not more than 30 days per trip. Even West Malaysian can only stay for maximum 90 days. If West Malaysian intend to work or open a company in Sabah or Sarawak, they need get permission from the State Government as well.
This is the agreement between Sabah, Sarawak, with Peninsula during merge to become Malaysia.

Well, no longer cars...that deduction is gone.  But thanks for giving me the logic about why they might be interested in MM2H. It's mainly the ability to establish an overseas bank account for rental income property they might buy. Absentee landlords.
Now what is the effect on the housing market? Certainly the demand would spur construction and sales...presumably that's good for Malaysia. But I wouldn't think the Chinese would benefit from having an empty condo, so they need to make the space affordable to a market. Can they really "inflate" the market?

Oh, I forgot that they would be required to pay the base-price for foreign buyers (another benefit of MM2H is they can buy lower cost properties). If they MUST purchase a RM1-2 million in KL then that might drive up the cost of housing. The construction industry responds to demand. Chinese purchasers are only allowed to invest in higher-end condos, and they, in turn, must charge higher rents.  But are there renters who can afford this? That means empty condos (and accusations of speculation).  I'm reminded of those cities in China where vast sweeps of condos, offices, and malls are all vacant because no one can afford them.

Are the Chinese really responsible for this inflation of price in Malaysia? Or are the mysterious officials who establish the minimum purchase price for foreign purchasers of condos? Would a Chinese purchaser prefer to buy several RM400K condos in KL...but by regulation cannot?

cinnamonape :

Well, no longer cars...that deduction is gone.  But thanks for giving me the logic about why they might be interested in MM2H. It's mainly the ability to establish an overseas bank account for rental income property they might buy. Absentee landlords.
Now what is the effect on the housing market? Certainly the demand would spur construction and sales...presumably that's good for Malaysia. But I wouldn't think the Chinese would benefit from having an empty condo, so they need to make the space affordable to a market. Can they really "inflate" the market?

Oh, I forgot that they would be required to pay the base-price for foreign buyers (another benefit of MM2H is they can buy lower cost properties). If they MUST purchase a RM1-2 million in KL then that might drive up the cost of housing. The construction industry responds to demand. Chinese purchasers are only allowed to invest in higher-end condos, and they, in turn, must charge higher rents.  But are there renters who can afford this? That means empty condos (and accusations of speculation).  I'm reminded of those cities in China where vast sweeps of condos, offices, and malls are all vacant because no one can afford them.

Are the Chinese really responsible for this inflation of price in Malaysia? Or are the mysterious officials who establish the minimum purchase price for foreign purchasers of condos? Would a Chinese purchaser prefer to buy several RM400K condos in KL...but by regulation cannot?

Well, Malaysia government do initiate some action to control the local Malaysian property price by encourage or build the "affordable house".

The property price appreciation in China are crazy, simply double triple up just in a few year therefore they keep buy properties in everywhere. They can't get good rental price due to people cannot afford but China investor earn the appreciation rather than consider about the rental income in their country. Buying property in Malaysia for them is just a way to put another assets at overseas, yet the property in Malaysia give better rental income compare to China but the market obviously not aggressive as China.    The overseas property or assets could help them if their currency drop.

Thanks for the clarification.  Looks like I am definitely limited to the Peninsula then.  I am learning something new every day and I very much appreciate your thoughtful and informative responses!

patrick137 :
teaslinger :

patrick137 :

With MM2H which applied in West Malaysia you only entitle to stay in Sabah and Sarawak for not more than 30 days per trip. Even West Malaysian can only stay for maximum 90 days. If West Malaysian intend to work or open a company in Sabah or Sarawak, they need get permission from the State Government as well.
This is the agreement between Sabah, Sarawak, with Peninsula during merge to become Malaysia.

teaslinger :

Thanks for the clarification.  Looks like I am definitely limited to the Peninsula then.  I am learning something new every day and I very much appreciate your thoughtful and informative responses!

patrick137 :
teaslinger :

Well, practically for long stay is more advisable to stay over in peninsula because of the infrastructure, hospital, shopping malls, and logistic much more better. If you're looking for cities that less busy, peaceful, lower living cost, and yet amenities are there, you can consider Malacca, Ipoh, Taiping, Seremban, ... At least these places you just need 2-3 hours drive to Kuala Lumpur if something emergency. There is no direct flight from overseas to Sarawak. Sabah yes, few cities from China, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong has direct flight to Kota Kinabalu.

Well a lot must have have changed in Sarawak since you last visited. There are about a dozen hospitals, including 5 private speciality clinics in the Kuching area, with Borneo General Hospital expanding the facilities and campus. They are building a new medical school and hospital near Samarahan to specialize in geriatric care. Nearby is a private Senior Care facility and apartments.

New malls are everywhere...Springs, Merdeka Plaza, Aeon, Boulevard, Vivacity, etc. I think that there is actually too many for the population, with lots of duplication. Rather than another Popular outlet a Kinokinuya would be nice. 

True that direct international flights are still limited to Singapore (1 hour 24 minutes...which is just 10 minutes more than Penang...and probably less time than driving or taking the bus from JB),  Pontianak, and Szenzhen. But a new LCCT is being built which will host connections to Bangkok and Jakarta by January.

As well Fernandes is in discussions with Sabah about setting up a series of connecting flights to-from Kuching to KK onward to Manila, the East and West Coast of Australia, Melbourne, Hanoi, and either Phnom Penh or Siem Riep.  Additional routes to Chinese cities, Korea and Japan are also being considered.

"Fernandes, who was present at the press conference, said they chose Sarawak because it is “fantastically located”.

“Sarawak is a brilliant point between North Asia and Australia. We see it as the Dubai of this part of the world. People from Australia can stop in Kuching before they go to China and vice-versa; people from China, Korea and Japan can stop in Sarawak for few days and go down to Australia.

“I think it is an equitable distance and it’s a great location and that is why I am very keen to have our hub here,” he said. Fernandes said tourists would be attracted by the low cost.“When you open a terminal, one of the biggest costs is water and power. Water and power are abundant and reasonably cheaper in Sarawak,” he added.

There are clearly many gaps in facilities...a Light-Rail system has been shelved right now, but a fleet of new hydrogen-fueled public buses are arriving in January.  Another deficiency is the lack of handicapped accessible facilities, like proper road-cuts, lifts, and even sidewalks. The Five foot way is often packed with goods, chairs or motorbikes and cars being repaired.

Since you have to stay in the Peninsula for the next decade perhaps you'll see which of the projects were will of the wisps, and which reached fruition. Then decide if you want to move over here.

Well I have lived in a mountain town in Oregon where the nearest town larger than 50,000 was 3.5 hours away.  I've only been to the doctor once since I was an adult for a blood check (when I turned 43).  Shopping malls hold little interest.  I'm looking for some nature and space.  I am also a keen dog owner (Doberman Pincher).  I would like to find somewhere with atleast 1/2 acre of land.  Taiping area looks quiet but not too far out?  I do like people and good food so I don't want to live completely separate at all, but I am not overly attached to modernity.  I did spend a few months in Malacca in the late 90's and I really enjoyed the laid back feeling there.

Well, practically for long stay is more advisable to stay over in peninsula because of the infrastructure, hospital, shopping malls, and logistic much more better. If you're looking for cities that less busy, peaceful, lower living cost, and yet amenities are there, you can consider Malacca, Ipoh, Taiping, Seremban, ... At least these places you just need 2-3 hours drive to Kuala Lumpur if something emergency. There is no direct flight from overseas to Sarawak. Sabah yes, few cities from China, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong has direct flight to Kota Kinabalu.

cinnamonape :

Since you have to stay in the Peninsula for the next decade perhaps you'll see which of the projects were will of the wisps, and which reached fruition. Then decide if you want to move over here.

Sounds like an impressive place.  It's too bad they won't take an under 50.  What's the rationale do you think?

My sense is that Sarawak views their program as one for authentic retirees...it was originally styled the "Silver-Haired Program" (on both sides of the drink). But when it was rebranded to be an "investors" visa on the peninsula, Sarawak kept more elements of the original program. So the age limit for the principle applicant was maintained, as was a pension option. This reduced the risk of a person needing to covertly work ... or set up a business within the State. That's just my guess as to why the did it this way.

They also did away with agents (not sure why they did this...perhaps some issues with fraud or submitting false documents?) and established a sponsorship requirement.

I'm doing some quiet lobbying re. changing some elements of the program that I believe would allow in more qualified applicants, have more economic benefit to the State, while also maintaining the security and social harmony of Sarawak. All this could be done at minimal cost, largely covered by the increase in fees.

Oh, the floor for the purchase of residential property is RM300,000 in Sarawak. Currently purchase is restricted to Kuching, Miri, and Sibu and cannot be native land.

cinnamonape :

My sense is that Sarawak views their program as one for authentic retirees...it was originally styled the "Silver-Haired Program" (on both sides of the drink). But when it was rebranded to be an "investors" visa on the peninsula, Sarawak kept more elements of the original program. So the age limit for the principle applicant was maintained, as was a pension option. This reduced the risk of a person needing to covertly work ... or set up a business within the State. That's just my guess as to why the did it this way.

Makes sense... it seems like a balancing act for sure.

cinnamonape :

I'm doing some quiet lobbying re. changing some elements of the program that I believe would allow in more qualified applicants, have more economic benefit to the State, while also maintaining the security and social harmony of Sarawak. All this could be done at minimal cost, largely covered by the increase in fees.

Yes... I'd pay the same amount (as the regular MM2H program) in FD to have the choice to live there.  Maybe they'd accept an American political refugee?  LOL!

cinnamonape :

Oh, the floor for the purchase of residential property is RM300,000 in Sarawak. Currently purchase is restricted to Kuching, Miri, and Sibu and cannot be native land.

Wow... very reasonable!

Well you could apply for the Peninsular program (or maybe one of the others in the region) and switch over when you reach 50. Because of the different systems it would be a  new application. But most of the application materials are identical. Just fewer in Sarawak. I've heard of at least one person who has applied on the SM2H who still lives in the Peninsula - due to the more affordable cost.

Who knows, maybe Sarawak will open their program to under 50's sometime.

cinnamonape :

Well you could apply for the Peninsular program (or maybe one of the others in the region) and switch over when you reach 50. Because of the different systems it would be a  new application. But most of the application materials are identical. Just fewer in Sarawak. I've heard of at least one person who has applied on the SM2H who still lives in the Peninsula - due to the more affordable cost.

Yes... 5.5 years will fly by I'm sure.

Who knows, maybe Sarawak will open their program to under 50's sometime.

Hope they do it soon... but we'll see!

Hi Hansson

Do you also know any information on requirements and procedures for Indonesian nationality to apply for Malaysian citizenship?

Cheers
Elizabeth

elizabethsandra :

Hi Hansson

Do you also know any information on requirements and procedures for Indonesian nationality to apply for Malaysian citizenship?

Cheers
Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth, Malaysian citizenship is only for those who married with Malaysian many years and subject to approval. There is no direct application for Malaysia citizenship.

MM2H is the only program that allow foreigners to long stay in Malaysia.