Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H)

teaslinger wrote:

Is there a published list anywhere showing the minimum purchase prices by state for MM2H participants?

Well particularly need to check with the state land office.
Popular destination:
Kuala Lumpur    : minimum RM 1 million regardless landed or high rise
Selangor              : minimum RM 2 million limited to strata title only
Penang                : MM2H holder max. 2 unit high rise RM 500k, landed RM 1million
Perak Ipoh          : previously min. RM 350k, I heard now increase to RM 1million
Malacca               : High rise min. RM 500k, landed min. RM 1 million
Johor                    : Medini special district min. RM 500k, other RM 1 million
Negeri Sembilan: Recently increased to min. RM 2million, limited to leasehold property only.

Thanks... how about Sarawak?

patrick137 wrote:
teaslinger wrote:

Is there a published list anywhere showing the minimum purchase prices by state for MM2H participants?

Popular destination:
Penang                : MM2H holder max. 2 unit high rise RM 500k, landed RM 1million
Perak Ipoh          : previously min. RM 350k, I heard now increase to RM 1million
Johor                    : Medini special district min. RM 500k, other RM 1 million
Negeri Sembilan: Recently increased to min. RM 2million, limited to leasehold property only.

teaslinger wrote:

patrick137 wrote:
teaslinger wrote:

Popular destination:

I don't have idea about Sarawak because Sarawak is less popular and total different rules. If you intent to stay in Sarawak, you have to apply mm2h in Sarawak not peninsula Malaysia. The state hold their own immigration authority which no need to follow federal order. I believe for buying property over Sarawak will have more requirement compare to peninsula Malaysia.
I only know that property at East Malaysia are expensive. Kota Kinabalu, Sabah property sell up to RM 1500 psf.

Really?  I can't join the Sarawak MM2H program as I am not over 50.  With MM2H you can't also live in Sarawak/Sabah?

patrick137 wrote:
teaslinger wrote:

patrick137 wrote:

Popular destination:

I don't have idea about Sarawak because Sarawak is less popular and total different rules. If you intent to stay in Sarawak, you have to apply mm2h in Sarawak not peninsula Malaysia. The state hold their own immigration authority which no need to follow federal order. I believe for buying property over Sarawak will have more requirement compare to peninsula Malaysia.
I only know that property at East Malaysia are expensive. Kota Kinabalu, Sabah property sell up to RM 1500 psf.

teaslinger wrote:

Really?  I can't join the Sarawak MM2H program as I am not over 50.  With MM2H you can't also live in Sarawak/Sabah?

patrick137 wrote:
teaslinger wrote:

With MM2H which applied in West Malaysia you only entitle to stay in Sabah and Sarawak for not more than 30 days per trip. Even West Malaysian can only stay for maximum 90 days. If West Malaysian intend to work or open a company in Sabah or Sarawak, they need get permission from the State Government as well.
This is the agreement between Sabah, Sarawak, with Peninsula during merge to become Malaysia.

Well, no longer cars...that deduction is gone.  But thanks for giving me the logic about why they might be interested in MM2H. It's mainly the ability to establish an overseas bank account for rental income property they might buy. Absentee landlords.
Now what is the effect on the housing market? Certainly the demand would spur construction and sales...presumably that's good for Malaysia. But I wouldn't think the Chinese would benefit from having an empty condo, so they need to make the space affordable to a market. Can they really "inflate" the market?

Oh, I forgot that they would be required to pay the base-price for foreign buyers (another benefit of MM2H is they can buy lower cost properties). If they MUST purchase a RM1-2 million in KL then that might drive up the cost of housing. The construction industry responds to demand. Chinese purchasers are only allowed to invest in higher-end condos, and they, in turn, must charge higher rents.  But are there renters who can afford this? That means empty condos (and accusations of speculation).  I'm reminded of those cities in China where vast sweeps of condos, offices, and malls are all vacant because no one can afford them.

Are the Chinese really responsible for this inflation of price in Malaysia? Or are the mysterious officials who establish the minimum purchase price for foreign purchasers of condos? Would a Chinese purchaser prefer to buy several RM400K condos in KL...but by regulation cannot?

cinnamonape wrote:

Well, no longer cars...that deduction is gone.  But thanks for giving me the logic about why they might be interested in MM2H. It's mainly the ability to establish an overseas bank account for rental income property they might buy. Absentee landlords.
Now what is the effect on the housing market? Certainly the demand would spur construction and sales...presumably that's good for Malaysia. But I wouldn't think the Chinese would benefit from having an empty condo, so they need to make the space affordable to a market. Can they really "inflate" the market?

Oh, I forgot that they would be required to pay the base-price for foreign buyers (another benefit of MM2H is they can buy lower cost properties). If they MUST purchase a RM1-2 million in KL then that might drive up the cost of housing. The construction industry responds to demand. Chinese purchasers are only allowed to invest in higher-end condos, and they, in turn, must charge higher rents.  But are there renters who can afford this? That means empty condos (and accusations of speculation).  I'm reminded of those cities in China where vast sweeps of condos, offices, and malls are all vacant because no one can afford them.

Are the Chinese really responsible for this inflation of price in Malaysia? Or are the mysterious officials who establish the minimum purchase price for foreign purchasers of condos? Would a Chinese purchaser prefer to buy several RM400K condos in KL...but by regulation cannot?

Well, Malaysia government do initiate some action to control the local Malaysian property price by encourage or build the "affordable house".

The property price appreciation in China are crazy, simply double triple up just in a few year therefore they keep buy properties in everywhere. They can't get good rental price due to people cannot afford but China investor earn the appreciation rather than consider about the rental income in their country. Buying property in Malaysia for them is just a way to put another assets at overseas, yet the property in Malaysia give better rental income compare to China but the market obviously not aggressive as China.    The overseas property or assets could help them if their currency drop.

Thanks for the clarification.  Looks like I am definitely limited to the Peninsula then.  I am learning something new every day and I very much appreciate your thoughtful and informative responses!

patrick137 wrote:
teaslinger wrote:

patrick137 wrote:

With MM2H which applied in West Malaysia you only entitle to stay in Sabah and Sarawak for not more than 30 days per trip. Even West Malaysian can only stay for maximum 90 days. If West Malaysian intend to work or open a company in Sabah or Sarawak, they need get permission from the State Government as well.
This is the agreement between Sabah, Sarawak, with Peninsula during merge to become Malaysia.

teaslinger wrote:

Thanks for the clarification.  Looks like I am definitely limited to the Peninsula then.  I am learning something new every day and I very much appreciate your thoughtful and informative responses!

patrick137 wrote:
teaslinger wrote:

Well, practically for long stay is more advisable to stay over in peninsula because of the infrastructure, hospital, shopping malls, and logistic much more better. If you're looking for cities that less busy, peaceful, lower living cost, and yet amenities are there, you can consider Malacca, Ipoh, Taiping, Seremban, ... At least these places you just need 2-3 hours drive to Kuala Lumpur if something emergency. There is no direct flight from overseas to Sarawak. Sabah yes, few cities from China, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong has direct flight to Kota Kinabalu.

Well a lot must have have changed in Sarawak since you last visited. There are about a dozen hospitals, including 5 private speciality clinics in the Kuching area, with Borneo General Hospital expanding the facilities and campus. They are building a new medical school and hospital near Samarahan to specialize in geriatric care. Nearby is a private Senior Care facility and apartments.

New malls are everywhere...Springs, Merdeka Plaza, Aeon, Boulevard, Vivacity, etc. I think that there is actually too many for the population, with lots of duplication. Rather than another Popular outlet a Kinokinuya would be nice. 

True that direct international flights are still limited to Singapore (1 hour 24 minutes...which is just 10 minutes more than Penang...and probably less time than driving or taking the bus from JB),  Pontianak, and Szenzhen. But a new LCCT is being built which will host connections to Bangkok and Jakarta by January.

As well Fernandes is in discussions with Sabah about setting up a series of connecting flights to-from Kuching to KK onward to Manila, the East and West Coast of Australia, Melbourne, Hanoi, and either Phnom Penh or Siem Riep.  Additional routes to Chinese cities, Korea and Japan are also being considered.

"Fernandes, who was present at the press conference, said they chose Sarawak because it is “fantastically located”.

“Sarawak is a brilliant point between North Asia and Australia. We see it as the Dubai of this part of the world. People from Australia can stop in Kuching before they go to China and vice-versa; people from China, Korea and Japan can stop in Sarawak for few days and go down to Australia.

“I think it is an equitable distance and it's a great location and that is why I am very keen to have our hub here,” he said. Fernandes said tourists would be attracted by the low cost.“When you open a terminal, one of the biggest costs is water and power. Water and power are abundant and reasonably cheaper in Sarawak,” he added.

There are clearly many gaps in facilities...a Light-Rail system has been shelved right now, but a fleet of new hydrogen-fueled public buses are arriving in January.  Another deficiency is the lack of handicapped accessible facilities, like proper road-cuts, lifts, and even sidewalks. The Five foot way is often packed with goods, chairs or motorbikes and cars being repaired.

Since you have to stay in the Peninsula for the next decade perhaps you'll see which of the projects were will of the wisps, and which reached fruition. Then decide if you want to move over here.

Well I have lived in a mountain town in Oregon where the nearest town larger than 50,000 was 3.5 hours away.  I've only been to the doctor once since I was an adult for a blood check (when I turned 43).  Shopping malls hold little interest.  I'm looking for some nature and space.  I am also a keen dog owner (Doberman Pincher).  I would like to find somewhere with atleast 1/2 acre of land.  Taiping area looks quiet but not too far out?  I do like people and good food so I don't want to live completely separate at all, but I am not overly attached to modernity.  I did spend a few months in Malacca in the late 90's and I really enjoyed the laid back feeling there.

Well, practically for long stay is more advisable to stay over in peninsula because of the infrastructure, hospital, shopping malls, and logistic much more better. If you're looking for cities that less busy, peaceful, lower living cost, and yet amenities are there, you can consider Malacca, Ipoh, Taiping, Seremban, ... At least these places you just need 2-3 hours drive to Kuala Lumpur if something emergency. There is no direct flight from overseas to Sarawak. Sabah yes, few cities from China, Korea, Japan, Hong Kong has direct flight to Kota Kinabalu.

cinnamonape wrote:

Since you have to stay in the Peninsula for the next decade perhaps you'll see which of the projects were will of the wisps, and which reached fruition. Then decide if you want to move over here.

Sounds like an impressive place.  It's too bad they won't take an under 50.  What's the rationale do you think?

My sense is that Sarawak views their program as one for authentic retirees...it was originally styled the "Silver-Haired Program" (on both sides of the drink). But when it was rebranded to be an "investors" visa on the peninsula, Sarawak kept more elements of the original program. So the age limit for the principle applicant was maintained, as was a pension option. This reduced the risk of a person needing to covertly work ... or set up a business within the State. That's just my guess as to why the did it this way.

They also did away with agents (not sure why they did this...perhaps some issues with fraud or submitting false documents?) and established a sponsorship requirement.

I'm doing some quiet lobbying re. changing some elements of the program that I believe would allow in more qualified applicants, have more economic benefit to the State, while also maintaining the security and social harmony of Sarawak. All this could be done at minimal cost, largely covered by the increase in fees.

Oh, the floor for the purchase of residential property is RM300,000 in Sarawak. Currently purchase is restricted to Kuching, Miri, and Sibu and cannot be native land.

cinnamonape wrote:

My sense is that Sarawak views their program as one for authentic retirees...it was originally styled the "Silver-Haired Program" (on both sides of the drink). But when it was rebranded to be an "investors" visa on the peninsula, Sarawak kept more elements of the original program. So the age limit for the principle applicant was maintained, as was a pension option. This reduced the risk of a person needing to covertly work ... or set up a business within the State. That's just my guess as to why the did it this way.

Makes sense... it seems like a balancing act for sure.

cinnamonape wrote:

I'm doing some quiet lobbying re. changing some elements of the program that I believe would allow in more qualified applicants, have more economic benefit to the State, while also maintaining the security and social harmony of Sarawak. All this could be done at minimal cost, largely covered by the increase in fees.

Yes... I'd pay the same amount (as the regular MM2H program) in FD to have the choice to live there.  Maybe they'd accept an American political refugee?  LOL!

cinnamonape wrote:

Oh, the floor for the purchase of residential property is RM300,000 in Sarawak. Currently purchase is restricted to Kuching, Miri, and Sibu and cannot be native land.

Wow... very reasonable!

Well you could apply for the Peninsular program (or maybe one of the others in the region) and switch over when you reach 50. Because of the different systems it would be a  new application. But most of the application materials are identical. Just fewer in Sarawak. I've heard of at least one person who has applied on the SM2H who still lives in the Peninsula - due to the more affordable cost.

Who knows, maybe Sarawak will open their program to under 50's sometime.

cinnamonape wrote:

Well you could apply for the Peninsular program (or maybe one of the others in the region) and switch over when you reach 50. Because of the different systems it would be a  new application. But most of the application materials are identical. Just fewer in Sarawak. I've heard of at least one person who has applied on the SM2H who still lives in the Peninsula - due to the more affordable cost.

Yes... 5.5 years will fly by I'm sure.

Who knows, maybe Sarawak will open their program to under 50's sometime.

Hope they do it soon... but we'll see!

Hi Hansson

Do you also know any information on requirements and procedures for Indonesian nationality to apply for Malaysian citizenship?

Cheers
Elizabeth

elizabethsandra wrote:

Hi Hansson

Do you also know any information on requirements and procedures for Indonesian nationality to apply for Malaysian citizenship?

Cheers
Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth, Malaysian citizenship is only for those who married with Malaysian many years and subject to approval. There is no direct application for Malaysia citizenship.

MM2H is the only program that allow foreigners to long stay in Malaysia.

Hello, I am currently on tourist visa, for the past 2 years I have been spending my free time in Malaysia and traveling often for work outside the country.

I am considering applying for MM2H, however I couldn't find anyone that could clarify my doubts, I hope you can help me:

1) If at the point of applying for the MM2H I am not yet married, will it be possible to extend later in time the visa also to my future wife?

2) If I am on MM2H and my wife isn't, will she be able to get an EP and work in Malaysia?

Several agents specifically note that they will do the paperwork to upgrade - after original acceptance- the number of dependents and spouses (remember some applicants are Muslim and might add a wife or three). So it is possible, it seems. One would have to submit all the particulars of the spouse....why coming (obvious), copy of passport (s), health check-up, etc. There is probably some specific form that relates to being placed on the original spouses MM2H. I'm unclear as to whether one has to submit an additional bond for an "add on" spouse...but for the original there is no need in MM2H for an additional bond for spouse/children/parents.

Now can your wife...not on MM2H...apply for an Employment Visa? Yes, just like any other applicant for work. One must be "sought" by a local employer for a position that no Malaysian applicant would qualify for. Unless one wants to pay the "Journey Performed" fee (@RM500) one has to get a Social Visit Visa with endorsement (letter from future employer) from an embassy outside the country.

"Really?  I can't join the Sarawak MM2H program as I am not over 50.  With MM2H you can't also live in Sarawak/Sabah?"

Sarawak has a RM300,000 minimum purchase price. Lowest of any State in Malaysia.

They reportedly do have a special "Property Purchase" Visa - if you buy a property of over RM1 million. This has no age limitation. But it sort of defeats your purpose. You want cheap property.

One more thing about Sarawak and Sabah. One cannot purchase Native Land...which are lands in traditional use by the Iban, Bidayuh, Malay, Kenya, Kelabit, etc. They also only current authorize purchases around three cities...Kuching, Sibu and Miri. Leasing land is allowed anywhere...some have 99-year leaseholds (with price often based on the number of years onward).

BennyMY wrote:

Hello, I am currently on tourist visa, for the past 2 years I have been spending my free time in Malaysia and traveling often for work outside the country.

I am considering applying for MM2H, however I couldn't find anyone that could clarify my doubts, I hope you can help me:

1) If at the point of applying for the MM2H I am not yet married, will it be possible to extend later in time the visa also to my future wife?

2) If I am on MM2H and my wife isn't, will she be able to get an EP and work in Malaysia?

1. You can apply single in your MM2H. Once your MM2H is approved, you can add on your spouse and kids afterward easily.

2. Yes, as long as your wife not attached with MM2H, she can apply EP to work in Malaysia.

Thank you very much for your helpful feedback

Hi,

Can we still work as normal currently we are working as Expat even after getting the MM2H.

I heard from some agent that once you apply and get MM2H, you cannot work as Expat anymore.

Regards,
-Abdul

Only certain categories can work after getting approval

Acho Palwan wrote:

Hi,

Can we still work as normal currently we are working as Expat even after getting the MM2H.

I heard from some agent that once you apply and get MM2H, you cannot work as Expat anymore.

Regards,
-Abdul

MM2H visa doesn't allow participant to work and get paid by company in Malaysia. If your work and salary is paid by company outside of Malaysia is fine.

is there a Hotlink to the up to date Sarawak scheme?? ,both of us are over 50,looking intently

Sarawak M2H Homepage-Sarawak Ministry  of Tourism

Sarawak M2H- Benefits and Incentives

Sarawak N2H Flow Chart

Required Documents for Sarawak M2H

Comparison Sarawak M2H vs. other Laksa

:/ Don't know how I labelled the last linked entry to be a comparison of Sarawak M2H to other laksas :D

What was meant to be the title on that link was

Short Comparison of Sarawak M2H to Peninsula MM2H

There are one or two things on there that are not correct in "practice". For example, the contrast says that you can get a 10-year visa in Sarawak. In fact, they will give you a 5 Year Renewable Visa (provided you have a minimum of that on your passport).

As you can see they are quite specific that the Sarawak M2H allows one to travel and live anywhere in Malaysia.

For those folks from the United States, were you able to use the Social Security Statement that one can request online from the SSA for the confirmation of the government pension payment amount to be received at retirement?  If not, what did you use?

Thanks!

My impression is that they want proof that  you are ALREADY receiving the money for the past three months...not evidence of FUTURE payments.  One problem with the Social Security statement is that one can start taking it (claim) at  different ages at different amounts - e.g. 62, 66, 70. They want you to prove income NOW.

Now one thing you COULD do is claim now, collect for the months up to the time you receive the visa, show the bank warrants for receipt of the pension. Then once you receive the visa you could make a financial decision that you have adequate income from bank account etc.

Social Security offers a one-year  "Pay Back" Option" sort of an "Oopsy, changed my mind". One Withdraws the claim to benefits. The benefits must be paid back in their entirety, so don't spend all the money. Put it away. 

https://money.usnews.com/money/retireme … rity-early

Because the SS benefit is taxable income in the US you may have to file some paperwork for the tax year you do this.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/29490 … quent-year

Thanks for the information! 

Luckily after gathering all of my pension forms from various jobs I had, I think I can use the sum of them to easily meet the requirement as well if they care.  But seriously, how can folks otherwise provide proof of a future government pension payment if they are early retirees and not receiving anything yet?  To me, this form should be the next best thing. 

We will provide everything and the kitchen sink so that we can overkill it if that is at all possible.  As long as we get in.....

" But seriously, how can folks otherwise provide proof of a future government pension payment if they are early retirees and not receiving anything yet? "

They want to see that you are eligible and capable of living as an early retiree NOW. Not in five years.

Sarawak is a  bit more flexible than the Peninsula (see the chart below)...if you show proof of consistent "off-shore INCOME" of RM10,000 (couple) (you may have to show more than three months of bank accounts) from annuities, real estate/rental  interest income, stocks, etc. then that may be acceptable. But clearly many of these are subject to fluctuations in the market, or other economic swings.

If one is close on pension but have another source as well they may allow this.

But remember THAT is ONLY an issue for the "pension option" (now only available in Sarawak)

You can also do the Fixed Deposit Option. For that you simply must put RM150,000 (for couples) [@US$37,000]  into a local bank. There is no need for proof of assets, income, etc. as on the Peninsula.

Of course that option means you have to have enough to put money into a "parked" Fixed Account (with some withdrawals for Medical, Car, Property purchase, and children's schooling). Even after eligible withdrawals you're still going to have to have RM60,000 in the FD (US$15,000). You'll get about 4% interest, though.

Remember, for Sarawak this is either/or...not AND.

Sarawak MM2H Requirements

Sarawak M2H Vs. MM2H Comparison

I am pretty sure I will be moving forward with applying and using Alter Domus but am I correct that let's say I want to deposit in Malaysia more than the minimum needed for the fixed deposit requirement.  Say, way more. Am I correct that, that money will  earn interest in Malaysia that is tax free there and presumably tax free for US income tax purposes (under max exclusion limits)?  Yes, I understand I have to file with Customs if exceeding $10K and would need to file income tax return in US declaring the foreign interest earned (only pay on amts over exclusion) but other than the paperwork no serious ramifications?  And, if I am concerned about Malaysia's financial status, why can't I open bank accounts in presumably uber safe Singapore (monies over the fixed deposit requirement) and just spread it around and bring over as much money as I can (to maximize interest earnings)?  If all goes well, that interest earnings could well pay a good portion if not all for my retiree living expenses there, no?  What am I missing????

VWC wrote:

I am pretty sure I will be moving forward with applying and using Alter Domus but am I correct that let's say I want to deposit in Malaysia more than the minimum needed for the fixed deposit requirement.  Say, way more.

No issue in establishing a separate Fixed Deposit of substantial size. It can be done. There is also a reporting requirement from the bank, and some banks simply don't want the hassle.

VWC wrote:

Am I correct that, that money will  earn interest in Malaysia that is tax free there and presumably tax free for US income tax purposes (under max exclusion limits)?

The USA is a citizen-based tax nation, not a residency-based nation. The US Tax code does have a variety of deductions and credits re. foreign earnings. In some countries (but not Malaysia) they also have a tax-treaty. But I am not so sure that FD's are not subject to Malaysian tax. This is admittedly a bit old.

http://ehasil.blogspot.com/2009/02/tax- … duals.html

And, assuming that you reach tax residency during the year you need to report the income, here are the rates (2018).

https://www.bbazaar.my/tax/income-tax-malaysia.html

VWC wrote:

Yes, I understand I have to file with Customs if exceeding $10K and would need to file income tax return in US declaring the foreign interest earned (only pay on amts over exclusion) but other than the paperwork no serious ramifications?

That's my understanding, as well. But there are conversion fees from $/MYR and banks my not easily handle large transfers (and give you crappy conversion rates). Carrying in a large sum is allowed, provided you make the necessary customs declarations...but will the bank allow a cash $-RM conversion? Can you find a moneylender to make the conversion. Are you comfortable carrying US$50,000 around?

VWC wrote:

And, if I am concerned about Malaysia's financial status, why can't I open bank accounts in presumably uber safe Singapore (monies over the fixed deposit requirement) and just spread it around and bring over as much money as I can (to maximize interest earnings)?  If all goes well, that interest earnings could well pay a good portion if not all for my retiree living expenses there, no?  What am I missing????

You'd have to look into the Singapore banking laws and treaties with the US. Again you'd have to report any deposit/ interest income back to the US and also to Singapore's tax authorities.  You'd convert Singapore $ to MYR...an additional transaction/conversion step.

Rule of thumb is international banks present in Asia have different rules to local ones. So with say HSBC, SC, Citibank etc its a global relationship. Therefore can often open Currency (USD GBP AUD etc.) accounts at overseas branches. What's not possible is to open a Malaysian Ringgit account without residency of some kind such as Mm2h or employment pass. It's not possible to withdraw in foreign currency from a bank in Malaysia i. e tellers don't have multicurrency floats. Money changers do that type of business.

MYR Interest is 3-4% p.a. so living off the interest of FDs is quite feasible. I do it in fact so the bank pays all my living expenses in Malaysia. The rates obtained are nett. and no tax is deducted. However there is a watershed for local taxation above which submitting an annual tax return is required.

Personally hold currency accounts and transfer in when required and exchange to MYR locally. Rates are very transparent. It's good to check with FX houses to see their charges or quality of exchange rates. The latter is where they make their turn.

Global reporting is growing with new treaties with Malaysia and every transaction by a US citizen requires a declaration to be signed at the outset. Some banks are loathe to get involved and can turn away custom unless say on mm2h.

Maximum hand carried cash permitted into Malaysia is USD10k (equivalent) .

All banking transactions over equivalent of MYR25k are now subject to scrutiny as per 1st Jan 2019.

Gravitas wrote:

I heard there is a new rule that people on MM2H can only have a banking relationship with one bank now.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but do you have a source for this?

Anyone on MM2H managed to open accounts with two banks recently?

The source is expat personal experience discussed lately in FB groups.

There are directives sent out to banks from Bank Negara. This is the actual source.

Malaysia tends to inform relevant partners and not the public at large. The mm2h programme is actually very small so a minor consideration to announce rulings to the general public.

Another example is the need to set up a Fixed Deposit in support of any Credit Card application (i. e. Covering one's own credit exposure)

One thing so far is Malaysia doesn't seem to rescind permissions or approvals after the event. This means goalposts are not moved retroactively. So for example foreigners who have exchanged their driving license for a local one can continue to renew it but no new applications are now possible (since October 2018).

Some new specifications regarding the Peninsular MM2H have now been posted on the MM2H.gov site.

http://mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/list-of … pplication

Most are minor (passport photo background color) but others regarding the off-shore proof of income levels of couple applications are interesting.

More information regarding the Letter of Good Conduct requirements.

Also it appears that one can now use the FD Withdrawal for the purchase of a new or used car, with some requirements. Also pharmaceuticals.
http://mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/list-of … ed-deposit

Anyone have any comments on how a new applicant is to obtain a certified TRUE copy of the passport particulars page if a Commissioner of Oaths is no longer allowed to cerify it?

cinnamonape wrote:

Most are minor (passport photo background color) but others regarding the off-shore proof of income levels of couple applications are interesting.

I assume this will not be an issue with applications that have already been submitted and are awaiting committee approval. Would suck if they get sent back just because of the background color of the passport photo.

I never really understood the requirements since they are somewhat easy to fake? Best to just increase the minimum deposit if you want to increase the barrier of entry.

Either way I'm almost waiting 1 year, probably won't even be using it anymore once I finally get the mm2h. Been staying in Malaysia on and off with a tourist visa without issues.