Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H)

Hi, I have been living in Malaysia since 2011 under the MM2H program. My father is the main applicant and the time we received the visa I was under 21 and we couldn't receive full 10 years visa because of the short validity period of passport. Our passport validity will be expired on September 2018 and we are going to apply for extension MM2H visa with new passport along with my entire family. Now my query is am i eligible to get the visa extension for rest of the period as i'm currently above 21 years old?

I have talked to one immigration officer in MM2H unit. He told, "I will be able to get visa extension cause I was below when the MM2H application was approved and I couldn't get 10 years visa due to short passport validity". Our Next renewal of application will be on 2021.

Thanks!

If you are still studying there will be no problem.

Press announcement today about property purchases in Penang  https://www.malaymail.com/s/1649231/pen … ign-buyers

That's a hefty floor price! Thanks for posting this.

Hello There.
My name is Kevin. I currently reside in Sydney Australia and planning to be in Kuala Lumpur for a month starting 19 July 2018. I am interested in connecting with recently approved MM2H applicants and MM2H visa holders living in Malaysia when I am in the country. I am reaching out to all of you on this forum to see if any of you that are happy to connect up when I am in Malaysia. I can be reached on my email ***

Thank you in advance.

Kevin Tang

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security

Most Australian MM2H live on Penang Island. There is a Facebook Group "Expats in Penang" where you may be able to arrange some meetings. There is also a small group MM2H Penang. The majority are over 50s and of course there are also the Australian forces there.

Thank you for the advice and guidance.
Kevin

Hi
This information for
Anyone on MM2H status who has employed a maid

Previously, the maid had to go for a medical checkup for the first three years, after the third year, no fomema medical checkup was required

Apparently, effective June 2018, the following rules have been introduced

1st, 2nd 3rd year - fomema medical checkup required
4th year - not required and every alternate year not required (4/6/8/10)
5th year - check up required and every alternate year checkup required (5/7/9/11)

caesar1956 wrote:

Hi
Apparently, effective June 2018, the following rules have been introduced

1st, 2nd 3rd year - fomema medical checkup required
4th year - not required and every alternate year not required (4/6/8/10)
5th year - check up required and every alternate year checkup required (5/7/9/11)

That a bit confusing wording, but clearer if they actually say: 
Required: Year 1, 2, and 3
Not required : Year 4, Year 6, Year 8, Year 10...
Required: Year 5, Year 7, Year 9, Year 11....

I'm wondering what illnesses and conditions are disqualifying? TB, Hepatitis B, Venereal Diseases, are standard (even though several subsets of these are actually treatable). But are they also checking for drug or alcohol abuse? Do they disqualify maids who have non-contagious conditions? Which ones?

Cinnamonape
You are right
They were my wordings

Required
Year 1,2,3,5,7,9,11 etc
Not required year 4,6,8,10 etc

Not sure what the medical report looking for

Drug/alcohol I doubt

Before it was easy
Last week it was a nightmare
Now they entertain only 100 applicants each day, many applicants who arrived at 9;30 couldn't meet an officer and had to go back
Heard some reshuffling going on

Can you post the link to the new health examination information please?

I was informed of these new rules when I visited MM2H immigration
I couldn't find any link

Hi everyone. Wife and I are from the US, on our 40s, currently living in Singapore and considering early retirement in Malaysia.
We have a few questions in regards of the MM2H requirements.

1) RM10,000 in monthly income - Our investment dividends should cover that, but those are paid out on a quarterly basis, not monthly. If averaged out for the year, the divident income it should be more than RM10,000 per month but paid out every 3 months instead of monthly. Is that an issue? 

2) The RM300,000 Fixed deposit - Can it be held on USD denominations at the local bank or does it need to be converted to RM? Considering that most FD accounts I've checked online pay around 3% and the official inflation rate in Malaysia is 3.8%, it seems to be a lousy investment. Am I missing something?

3) How long does the application process takes until approval? Are we talking weeks or months? If I am planning to retire mid next year, when should I apply?

4) Is an agent strongly recommended or is the application process straight forward enough?

Thanks in advance for you Point of View.

1. Need to show required monthly credit balance plus income credited monthly for 3 months*
2. Has to be in Ringgit in bank in Malaysia**
3. Currently 6-8 months
4. Stressfree with an good Agent (Alter Domus charge RM8k) but optional

*agent can help with proving financial status via suggestions as they are experienced and also guarantee approval i.e. they wont submit application unless viable

Re myr inflation. Having USD doesn't help then if you live in Malaysia where inflation is 3.8%. only exchange rate matters.
You can get 4+% FD in many banks, especially if onn5 year terms. Hsbc is 4.1% for 5 years.

Hello everyone
I am told by my Agent that my Application for MM2H was successfully submitted in June. When I try to check the status of it on the Govt. site with the reference given to me it says not found.
Although on the site of the agent I can see the status as received for verification.
Is this how it works? I have paid almost MR 9,000 to the agent

Junoon wrote:

Hello everyone
I am told by my Agent that my Application for MM2H was successfully submitted in June. When I try to check the status of it on the Govt. site with the reference given to me it says not found.
Although on the site of the agent I can see the status as received for verification.
Is this how it works? I have paid almost MR 9,000 to the agent

I just checked and I can't find my application either on the official website. I have received a form with the application number. Have you contacted your agent?

If any applicant spends a little time and does some research and homework, you can save money instead of depending totally on what the agents ask you to do
I know of some agents demanding a lot extra money after the initial down payment and during the process of getting your papers approved I.e. the agent purposely delays to obtain more money from the applicants
i.e." we have to pay immigration officer an extra rm2000 for approval" of course once you have paid the huge initial amount of 8-9k so the agent keeps milking the applicants and the applicant is silent as he assumes the agent has gone out of his way to get the approval
Just another agent scam

Hi Hansoon,

I am a local Malaysian residing in Melbourne.
Am making a trip back and enquiring on behalf of a friend who is interested in the program
Is there a meet up/ networking  for current  MM2H residents

There are a large number of people on MM2H living in Penang. There are a few Facebook groups, including MM2H Penang. Best source of information is the government website http://mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/

Thank you Gravitas
Shall follow the link

Invitation to British Retirees in Malaysia to High Tea at the British High Commission

Date: 31 October 2018 (Wednesday)
Time: 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
Venue: The British High Commissioner's Residence, Kuala Lumpur
For RSVP, please email The British High Commission Kuala Lumpur at [email protected]

http://www.mm2h.gov.my/index.php/en/lis … rnoon-tea=

Hi
Thank you for the invite which I am accepting.
Do I just turn up or do I have to get an official invitation

Regards,
Ange Ng

Joyluck - Unfortunately its just for British Retirees.

Us Americans aren't invited  :par:

RSVP with the British High Commission. And as mentioned it's for British retirees (so I'm ineligible as well), though hopefully any mutually beneficial info will be shared.

Welcome all...maybe a false alarm but there may be a new monkey wrench (spanner for non-Americans) in the cog-wheels.

While trying to find about about a rumor (false, fortunately) that MM2H had been terminated...it was instead suggested that it had been suspended. That also may be false, but there does appear to be something in the works.

What is happening now sounds like a major reorganization of the MM2H "structure".

The government is taking it out of the Ministry of Tourism and placing it under the Ministry of Immigration (Home Affairs). Besides Immigration, Home Affairs also handles the Police, Customs, Censorship of Films/Print/Performances, Drug Control, Management of Societies, and RELA Volunteers, Foreign Workers and Prisons and Rehabilitation.

Hence the possibility that some applications may be delayed.

In some ways that makes more sense as most of the issues that MM2H visa holders have are "immigration-related". On the other hand, immigration will perhaps have a different perspective than Tourism. Will Immigration be as "promotional" and an advocate of the economic and social benefits of the program within the gov't? Or will they bring more of a law enforcement perspective. Maybe they'll realize that MM2H is not as much of a hassle or problematical compared to other visa programs?

Perhaps this is the government response to over-promotion of the program to China (i.e. Forest City) and will mean closer inspection of the backgrounds and activities of agents and applicants?

I haven't seen anything official.

cinnamonape wrote:

Hence the possibility that some applications may be delayed.

From what I heard it wouldn't affect current applications, let's hope not at least. Either way this doesn't sound like good news at all for the program.

Maybe those who are British expats invited to the British Consul meet-up in late October could query what all of this means. Will rules change? Will those already in the program be "grandfathered" in under the old rules when they reapply (e.g same Fixed Deposit level)?

Grandfathering has always been practised under Mm2h. See no reason the government would suddenly change their policy.

The T&Cs and benefits have changed  before. The programme has always been at the discretion of the ministry.

The latest furore is unfortunate and not an across the board issue. The country still remembers the threat from communism.

Gravitas wrote:

The latest furore is unfortunate and not an across the board issue. The country still remembers the threat from communism.

And imperialism...any "perceived" major influx of one nationality is likely to elevate blood pressure. It's a universal and raises all sorts of issues about loss of national and cultural identities.  Throw in the fact that these folks have piles of Renmimbi and it also raises issues of economic and political power.

MM2H was certainly a program heavily used by Chinese nationals. I wonder what the "value" of the program was from their perspective? Most western expats want to find a spot in the tropics to relax, stretch their dollar/Euro, have a base for travel. Safety is another concern. But do Chinese (and to extend things, South and SE Asians) perceive the program in the same way? Did they view it as a safety net for instability at home? A means to get a good education for their kids outside of a communist system? And realizing we should not stereotype, were some using it as a workaround for finances earned in China or abroad? Did they really believe that they could obtain Malaysian citizenship? Obtain jobs locally?

Just wondering what the different (or same) incentives might be?

Hi,

A few questions:

1.  I know that I am barred from being employed with the MM2H program, but what if I am self-employed running an online business (generating income in the USA).  Will Malaysia try to tax my income that I earn from outside of Malaysia?  Are they going to say because I am doing some tasks for my online business while a resident of Malaysia that I am now considered a tax resident and therefore required to pay income taxes?

2.  My wife is a Chinese National and I am a US Citizen, does this complicate the application process at all?

3.  If I am a sole owner of a US S-Corp, can income from that business satisfy the RM 10,000 per month requirement?  At the moment I pay myself just under that amount in USD to lower my payroll tax obligations.  I guess I could just increase that amount 3 months prior to applying for the program?

I spent a bit of time in Malaysia over the years and really enjoy the climate, culture and food.

Thanks for your help.

teaslinger wrote:

Hi,

A few questions:

1.  I know that I am barred from being employed with the MM2H program, but what if I am self-employed running an online business (generating income in the USA).  Will Malaysia try to tax my income that I earn from outside of Malaysia?  Are they going to say because I am doing some tasks for my online business while a resident of Malaysia that I am now considered a tax resident and therefore required to pay income taxes?

2.  My wife is a Chinese National and I am a US Citizen, does this complicate the application process at all?

3.  If I am a sole owner of a US S-Corp, can income from that business satisfy the RM 10,000 per month requirement?  At the moment I pay myself just under that amount in USD to lower my payroll tax obligations.  I guess I could just increase that amount 3 months prior to applying for the program?

I spent a bit of time in Malaysia over the years and really enjoy the climate, culture and food.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

1. If you have no company in Malaysia to receive the income then is non-taxable.

2. Not complicated, is quite common. It just a normal application as long as you can prove the relationship like the certified copy marriage cert, your spouse passport and etc.

3. MM2H application only recognize the income to your personal bank account. The income to your solely own company is not recognize. Therefore you need to rearrange the income to your personal bank account.

Hope my reply able to help you. You may pm me if need further clarification. Thanks!

cinnamonape wrote:
Gravitas wrote:

And imperialism...any "perceived" major influx of one nationality is likely to elevate blood pressure. It's a universal and raises all sorts of issues about loss of national and cultural identities.  Throw in the fact that these folks have piles of Renmimbi and it also raises issues of economic and political power.

MM2H was certainly a program heavily used by Chinese nationals. I wonder what the "value" of the program was from their perspective? Most western expats want to find a spot in the tropics to relax, stretch their dollar/Euro, have a base for travel. Safety is another concern. But do Chinese (and to extend things, South and SE Asians) perceive the program in the same way? Did they view it as a safety net for instability at home? A means to get a good education for their kids outside of a communist system? And realizing we should not stereotype, were some using it as a workaround for finances earned in China or abroad? Did they really believe that they could obtain Malaysian citizenship? Obtain jobs locally?

Just wondering what the different (or same) incentives might be?

Most of China MM2H applicant use mm2h for shifting part of their assets outside of home country. Secondly only comes to the children education. Their population are huge, imagine just 0.1% of their population apply there is how many?

patrick137 wrote:

Most of China MM2H applicant use mm2h for shifting part of their assets outside of home country. Secondly only comes to the children education. Their population are huge, imagine just 0.1% of their population apply there is how many?

So do they do this by buying property? I was actually surprised at how little the option of withdrawal of Fixed Deposit for Property purchase was used. But maybe that's because they want a large FD and use additional funds for the Property purchase. Couldn't they buy property without being on MM2H? Or do they need it to buy property at the lower baseline level?

And doesn't the Chinese restrictions against fund transfers above US$15,000/year (down from $50,000) throw a kibosh in all of this?

Is there a published list anywhere showing the minimum purchase prices by state for MM2H participants?

patrick137 wrote:
teaslinger wrote:

Hi,

A few questions:

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

1. If you have no company in Malaysia to receive the income then is non-taxable.

2. Not complicated, is quite common. It just a normal application as long as you can prove the relationship like the certified copy marriage cert, your spouse passport and etc.

3. MM2H application only recognize the income to your personal bank account. The income to your solely own company is not recognize. Therefore you need to rearrange the income to your personal bank account.

Hope my reply able to help you. You may pm me if need further clarification. Thanks!

Thanks for the reply!  This is great news!

This has a list of floor prices for both non-MM2H foreigners, and MM2H visa holders by State.

https://www.propertylife.my/guidelines- … #tab-con-7

Or maybe more recent

https://russellwalker.blog/2018/01/15/b … foreigner/

Each State has their own established level but these change periodically. So this may be a bit out of date.

Thanks very helpful links! 

cinnamonape wrote:

This has a list of floor prices for both non-MM2H foreigners, and MM2H visa holders by State.

https://www.propertylife.my/guidelines- … #tab-con-7

Or maybe more recent

https://russellwalker.blog/2018/01/15/b … foreigner/

Each State has their own established level but these change periodically. So this may be a bit out of date.

cinnamonape wrote:
patrick137 wrote:

So do they do this by buying property? I was actually surprised at how little the option of withdrawal of Fixed Deposit for Property purchase was used. But maybe that's because they want a large FD and use additional funds for the Property purchase. Couldn't they buy property without being on MM2H? Or do they need it to buy property at the lower baseline level?

And doesn't the Chinese restrictions against fund transfers above US$15,000/year (down from $50,000) throw a kibosh in all of this?

Basically MM2H is nothing to do with buy a property. You still need to fulfill MM2H requirement by showing income, liquid assets, and place RM 300k / 150k Fixed Deposit after approval.
The problem comes after they bought a property. They can't get a bank account to receive rental income if they don't have MM2H. Buying property price above RM 1 million is just a peanut for them. They just want some assets that able to generate value at overseas meanwhile having a convenient status to in out or even long stay if political unstable.
Below 50 years old can withdraw RM 150k out from the RM 300k FD, meanwhile Above 50 years old can withdraw RM 50k out from the RM 150k FD. Not even 10% from the property price. It consider just a compliment for buying property in Malaysia. You can also apply to withdraw by buying cars, children education fee, or medical expenses.