Work & residence permit

HI there, we are looking at relocating to Mauritius from South Africa. Am I correct in understanding that one needs to bring R6.2million to qualify for work and residency? Would be most grateful for any input.. :)

Hi - If you Google residency in Mauritius you should find an option leading you to the BOI site.
If you are not a Mauritian citizen then to get a residence permit you have to invest a minimum of USD500000.00 this only allows you to live. For work you need to get an occupational permit - this you get via your employer.
How this helps - I'm on my way to Mauritius .

I

Hi
Everything you need information wise is on the BOI (Board of Investment) site - click this link for all the info you will need :)http://www.investmauritius.com/work-live.aspx

Good luck :)

Hi Deborah,

I have sent you all the details by message :)

Thanks for your feedback, please can you advise if just investing 100 000 dollars is sufficient in a biz to get a residency permit?

Kind Regards
Deborah

Hi
No - minimum is USD500000. If you are setting up a business then that's a whole new ball game.

Deborah Scott wrote:

Thanks for your feedback, please can you advise if just investing 100 000 dollars is sufficient in a biz to get a residency permit?

Kind Regards
Deborah

An mentioned above by Rosiewestie you will have all the info here:
http://www.investmauritius.com/work-live/op.aspx

Hello Debora,

Indeed setting up a business, either a GBC1 or a Domestic Company, and investing USD 100,000 in the business, will give you an Occupation Permit.

Note that this Occupation Permit allows you to work and live in Mauritius for a period of 3 years. This is renewable, if your business turnover is more than MUR 4 Million annually.

The 100,000 USD is for your business use itself, and needs not sit in the bank account of the company. It can be use for the operational side of your business.

Any business can be run outside the country, and the company act as the main hub to service the business.

Another option as correctly mentioned, is to get resident permit by acquiring a property. This needs an investment of around USD 500,000.

Below, these details might help for a better understanding:

(1)  USD100,000 minimum for an Investor Permit + a business plan showing Rs4 million of projected annual turnover
(2)  USD500,000 for the purchase of IRS / RES Villa with Permanent Residence along. (Less than USD500,000 : a foreign can still purchase, but does not get residency attached to the villa)
(3)  Work & residence permit: no minimum investment or turnover condition. But the person should be qualified in the field of activity.

My appreciation on GBL companies: they have heavy 'management costs' and high charges from Management companies.  They also prevent you from operating on the local market. A domestic company is a simple structure, less costly and allows to work on international and local markets (you never know where an opportunity comes from).

To be honest the USD100,000 is only a show-off issue. The authorities simply want to see USD100,000 on your bank account when making the application and see how you plan to invest it from your 'business plan' (which remains a plan at the end of the day).

Nadeem, just that BOI has suspended all IRS/ERS application for now. They are working on a new scheme for same :)

But the above is well explained.

it hasn't been suspended finally but regrouped under PDS scheme. the IRS and RES have remained the same finally.  see latest update.  on Boi website

Nadeem wrote:

it hasn't been suspended finally but regrouped under PDS scheme. the IRS and RES have remained the same finally.  see latest update.  on Boi website

BOI posted an update June 2015 in this link, is it in here, just so long, not found it yet ;)http://www.investmauritius.com/media/29 … elines.pdf

Yes have found it under the above Document: Smart City - from Chapter 7 onwards

This Smart City PDF document seems to cover most things about living and working in Mauritius :)

Yes Rosie it covers 'alnost everything'.
The Smart city is the talk of the town....