Biomedical Science in Singapore

Hi

Singapore seems to heavily push its status as a biomedical research hub in SE-Asia and it looks
like skilled personnel is still in demand (new job advertisements posted daily by NUS, SGH, A-STAR/BIOPOLIS etc).
Coming from Germany with a Diploma in biomedcial science with 7 years experience in a renown institute I'm trying to evaluate chances of employment. HR-departments told me to submit my application but didn't specifically point out that coming from overseas with a diploma is a disadvantage...

Anybody here got some experience in this matter and is willing to share his/hers thoughts?

Thank you
BioDip.

If your cert is a diploma in the Singapore sense (i.e. a technician school cert), it might indeed be hard.
But if it's a university degree (German "Diplom"), then call it such and not diploma!

Thank you for your reply.
I'm talking about a Diploma for technicians.
Does that mean that PRs and locals with a diploma are preferably hired compared to foreigeners with the same education? Or are companies and institutes advised to primarily focus on locals within the first two-three weeks of the application process and after that also consider foreigners?

Yes, similarly skilled locals must be preferentially hired, and there is a locals-only job bank since this August to enforce this.

beppi, thanks again for your reply.
Does that mean that jobs popping up on "regular" job sites have already gone through the Singaporean Jobs Bank portal?

The job bank is very new, so no experience with that yet.
Many of the job ads posted by recruiters (a.k.a. headhunters) are anyway faked and only serve the purpose of filling the agency's CV database. Only apply at potential employers directly if you want to be sure.

Wait, jobs on general job sites (i.e. which are NOT geared towards foreigners only) did most likely NOT go through the job bank yet, as this is not required for hiring locals.

But that still does not mean that foreigners and locals are treated equalliy in terms of application?

They definitely are not treated equally.