Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

Wow so glad I got married last year and  got my permanent visa

mitchel85

My understanding of the regulations is that the German Embassy has it right:  EU citizens can only spend 90 out of each 180 days in Brazil on a visitor/tourist visa.

Ringles wrote:

I know the feeling.

Mike in São Paulo wrote:
Ringles wrote:

I know the feeling.

Same here.  Once the rules finally settle down it'll probably start to make some sense, but it's still going to be a bumpy ride for a while yet.

hey abthree,

Thanks for your reply. uhm I'm confused now. I just checked my first entries to Brazil back in 2014. And I spent 80 days the first time, I left to Germany and returned to Brazil just two weeks later and got another 90 days entry.

I feel like "on paper" it says one thing and then in reality it's not as dramatic as they state. I just wanted to make sure someone had a similar experience.

Could be -- this is Brazil.

Ordinarily, I'd say "have a Plan B ready, just in case they won't let you back in at the border".  But I've lived in Germany, so I know that you're all set with that, and probably have a Plan C and a Plan D, too.  Good luck -- I hope you won't need any of them!

abthree. Thanks :) By the way. I went to a cartorio here in São Paulo in order to get a "união estável" with my boyfriend and they only asked for my passport and CPF. Hillarious isn't it? Everywhere on the internet it says "authenticated birth certificated" and "proof of single status". Every cartorio is different, I think I got lucky.

That is a great story -- Brazil, Brazil!  LOL
My husband and I just got in under the wire.  We were married in the US and registered our marriage with the Brazilian Consulate in July, got my permanency in August, he came back in September, and I joined him on November 1.  We hope everything goes smoothly for you guys.

Thank you for all the information folks.
I am flying out of New Brunswick Canada on June 4th and planning to get married as soon as possible to my fiance.

Is it true that I need to get my birth certificate, my divorce certificate or other documents certified, notarized or legalized by a Brazilian Consulate here in Canada in order for them to be accepted by Brazilian authorities?

Must they be translated into Portuguese? I just discovered I needed an updated long birth certificate because my other long birth certificate is more than 180 days old... So now I feel like quite a bit of pressure :-(

In addition I purchased a one-way ticket a few months back I did not realize that I need some type of proof of onward travel? Any input or thoughts? I read on the internet I actually may be denied at my home Airport or refused entry in Brazil without a proof of onward travel... Honestly I have no plans for our travel lol :-)

I am having a very difficult day and unfortunately I do not want to burden my fiance so any input would be greatly appreciated.
All of my things are in storage my business affairs have been arranged I literally thought I was pretty much ready to go except for packing my clothing and now I feel like I am not going to make it on time.... 😌

The documents used to need to be notarized by the Brazilian consulate, but since Brazil joined the hague convention the consulate stopped doing that. However, these documents need to be APOSTILLED in their country of origin to be legally recognized in Brazil.

The 180 day rule is true about the Birth certificate. All documents need to be translated by a sworn translator in Brazil, so you can do that when you arrive.

I got some flack once at the check in going to Brazil with a one way only flight, However I already had a permanent visa , so it wasn't a big deal, but they can bring it up at the airport.
It's always smarter to have a return ticket when you go into a situation like this so you can get home if everything goes south and living in Brazil starts to get to you.

Stevefunk, thank you so much for the reply and affirming the necessary steps I need to make before I board the plane in a couple of weeks... I have a couple of phone calls to make and make the arrangements to take care of this ASAP.

Hope you have a great weekend! 😊

Thank you for all of the information James :-) I am also Canadian citizen from Moncton New Brunswick. I am flying out of the Moncton International Airport on June 4th, 2018.
After reading your post just last evening I am taking it back by the fact that I did not realize that I have to have another long form of my birth certificate because my other long form birth certificate is over 180 days old?

In addition I am getting married as soon as possible after arrival in Brazil.... so do I need to have my birth certificate legalized, my divorce certificate legalized or anything else legalized in order to get married? I simply have not the time because I'm leaving two weeks from Monday. So is there any way to get this legalized after I arrive in Sao Paulo?
I must have documents be shipped back to Canada to be notarized or legalized?

I would appreciate any input and thank you for taking the time.
John

I'm very curious about this one because I just found out yesterday that I'm supposed to get my birth certificate or divorce certificate notarized or legalized here in Canada before I leave in 2 weeks... there is just not enough time to do this so I'm wondering if they are going to refuse our application for marriage based on the fact that my long form birth certificate, or divorce certificate) not "legalized"

I guess we'll soon find out :-)

Hi
You need the Apostilled documents, without them you want be able to process your permanent residency application.
Brazil is very bureaucratic and one missing document will stall the whole process indefinitely....
James is no longer with us BTW, he was gunned down two years ago the poor neighborhood  Maceio RJ where he was living.

Hello
I have been applied for visit visa it's already 14 days and when I am checking online status it's showing sent...
I am Muslim in my religion I can married 4 times .. can I married in Brazil for 2nd time.. my girlfriend is agreed to accept Islam.. become a Muslim.. thanks

Saifullahkhan

You cannot take a second wife until you have divorced your first wife. your religion has no bearing on the law. You have to show that you are not married to anyone else before you will be allowed to marry in Brazil. Your Brazilian girlfriend should know this.

Jim

@John Lawrence, what you can do with the birth certificate is: order the new one now asap. I'm not sure how long it takes in Canada but would assume it's fast been a developed country.

Usually you can sign for someone to collect it on your behalf or they mail it, again I 'm not sure how it works in Canada , so you can get it if you not here.
Then just have it taken or mailed to the department that does the Apostille and couriered to you in Brazil - Do not use Public mail to send documents to Brazil or you may never see it again and it's slow.
If you don't have anyone to help you in Canada there are many companies that facilitate these kind of services for a fee. I've had to rely on them to get documents from other counties where I was not present or two speed up the issueing of documents in 3rd world countries.   
Brazil issues documents surprisingly fast though so here I always have done everything independently.

Also one other thing, you may need a criminal background check , also apostilled in country of Origin and Apostilled for any countries you have lived in in for extended periods for the last few years. (sorry I don';t remember the time limits off the top of my head I think it's longer than 3 months in the last 5 years - not sure though)

In the past few years I know you could just make a declaration saying you have no criminal record, but there have been reports that they are insisting on it again, so best to look into it, it doesn't hurt to have it.

I think the PF office in Santos just had me sign an "I've been a good boy" document. I don't remember, but it's also possible I didn't need one.

Seems they've raked you two over the coals over time!

My wife is from Brazil, we have a Brazilian marriage cert. To apply for Permanent residency when i arrive in Brazil on 90 day visa free stamp, do i have to give a birth certificate or is my marriage cert sufficient?  and second, do i need a criminal back ground check from my country with apostle or can i sign that i have been a good boy? Thanks.

Hi Stacey, Green Day!

Brazil Marriage Certificate given in Brazil is all you need. I think your marriage certificate was issued by Brazil Embassy(shorter one), basing on it they will give a Permanent One(bigger one). As standby you can take criminal background letter too.

StaceNZ

You will need several documents. If you go to PF.gov.br. Look under immigration you will find the requirements.

Jim

Thanks, i found them. Looks like now you need noth criminal check and declaration, can declarations be made at the Cartorio?

Regarding "Documents that prove economic dependence, when applicable" What would this be?
And "Proof of the stable bond between the applicant and the Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of a residence permit" Would joint home ownership papers be sufficient?

Portaria interministerial nº 12, de 13 de junho de 2018.

Documents required for residence permit based on family reunion:

Travel document or official identity document;

2 two 3x4 photos;

Birth or marriage certificate or consular certificate,

Criminal record certificates or equivalent document issued by the competent judicial authority from which you have resided in the last five years;
Declaration, under penalties of the law, of absence of criminal records in any country, in the last five years prior to the date of the application for a residence permit;

Birth or marriage certificate for proof of the relationship between the applicant and the Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of a residence permit, or a document proving the link;

Identity document of the Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of a residence permit, with which the applicant wishes the meeting;

Declaration, under the penalties of the law, that the calling family resides in Brazil;

Documents that prove economic dependence, when applicable;

Proof of the stable bond between the applicant and the Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of a residence permit;

Joint declaration of the spouses or companions, under the penalties of the law, regarding the continuity of effective union and coexistence;

Documents that prove the guardianship, custody or custody of Brazilians, when applicable.

Proof of payment of fees, when applicable
of residence permit (R $ 168.13 - Code 140066)
issued by the National Migration Register
(R $ 204.77 - Code 140120)

StaceNZ wrote:

Regarding "Documents that prove economic dependence, when applicable" What would this be?
And "Proof of the stable bond between the applicant and the Brazilian or immigrant beneficiary of a residence permit" Would joint home ownership papers be sufficient?

Your marriage certificate is satisfactory proof of both.  Further proof of economic dependence is more for people bringing in other categories of dependents, like parents or children.
Proof of joint home ownership is a nice additional document to have, but the Federal Police will assume that if you're married, you're financially interdependent and cohabiting.   :top:

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed. Please register your services in the business directory. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I've got married this year with a Brazilian woman. We didn't translate at once all documents and it was to late before my coming back to Europe to translate criminal record. My questions:

1. I have one way ticket to Brazil from Prague/Czech (will they ask me about return ticket in Czech or Brazil)? Can I say just in case in Brazil that I have marragiege certificate (I have original with myself) and say I will apply for visa? or in this case they can say I shouldn't enter on "tourist visa" and should first apply for some another type when entering Brazil? Anyway I guess it will be fine - but even if somewhere will ask me about this ticket then they can deny my enter the plane/Brazil even if I said I can buy "now" some ticket return via credit cart?  OR better bought one that I can cancel later? (or perhaps buy for myself some flight to Columbia/Peru for one week vacation :D)

2. My exp from getting married
1. Birth certificate, certificate of civil status - issued in my country
2. those document "apostiled" in my country MInistry of Foreign Affairs
3. in brazil sent it to sworn translator
4. in catorio they wanted translator - but I've managed to go trough without
5. during ceromony - as well (talking to catorio and then to assitant of judge)

- there was no sworn translator of english or my national language in whole state! Taking people from other states seems ridiculous for sth that any english teach or my wife could translate to me ;) So if you have problem try to talk nice to catorio and perhaps it will go without it - and of course try to learn portugese as I can't imagine living there without knowing the language. (I'm on my way to speak portuguese as good as I speak English know - my second language)

Hi gringo

I am not sure about Czech but over here in Brazil the immigration officers usually don't look for the return ticket.  However you can always have a tentative booking made directly with the airline which can save you the hassle of worrying about this question overall.

As far as your experience is concerned I believe you are on the right track as you have a fair idea of how things work in Brazil :)

Best of luck

Regards

Stanza

Hi, Janusz,
Technically, you should be applying for a VITEM XI visa, for family reunion because of marriage.  With a VITEM XI no one will look for a return ticket, because it's assumed that you'll be staying in Brazil.  It's also the visa that the Federal Police expect to see when you apply to make your residency permanent.  I've read in these threads about people coming in on tourist visas and trying to bootstrap themselves into permanency; since you're married, it will probably work, but may involve more hassle than coming in on the right visa in the first place.

Hi, apart from my criminal record check from the UK. Are there any other documents I would need to get apostilled? This is for a stable union. From the new list I don't think so but I'm never completely sure with anything here!

Nikola Grace wrote:

Hi, apart from my criminal record check from the UK. Are there any other documents I would need to get apostilled? This is for a stable union. From the new list I don't think so but I'm never completely sure with anything here!

Rule of thumb from a person who'd rather be safe than sorry:  get an apostille on every document issued by a government agency, and every document that has been notarized.

Moderated by Bhavna 5 years ago
Reason : Information should be shared on the forum + contact details should be exchanged through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hi , a question about being translated English  documents  into Portuguese, can I do this step in Canada ,as we have a translator in our city, but I don't want to ruin anything again ,,or do it need to be done in brasil?
Thanks
kim

Kimmie B wrote:

Hi , a question about being translated English  documents  into Portuguese, can I do this step in Canada ,as we have a translator in our city, but I don't want to ruin anything again ,,or do it need to be done in brasil?
Thanks
kim

Documents for legal use in Brazil need to be translated by an official Sworn Translator in Brazil to be accepted.  There are Sworn Tranlators for English is all major cities and most state capitals.  There's also at least one service, Fidelity Translations, that offers Sworn Translations nationwide over the Internet.

Thank you also another question thank you , as I will go back to Canada to get all documents legalized and send back here to Brazil to my fiancée , and when he translates all again , can he register the wedding without me present ?because I only  have 7 days left when I return , and was waiting on a date from civil registry to   come ?

Also when we book civil registry to marry does my time start then as permanant  resident or when we get married?as I only have 7 days ,  Sorry for all questions

Rafael de Sá Cavalcanti
Tradutor Juramentado do idioma Inglês – Matrícula Jucese 04/082014
Brazilian sworn translator for the English language
Mobile/Celular: +55 (61) 99961-1756 / (79) 99675-9339
E-mail: [email protected]

Kimmie B
ad. documents
I had apostille for birth certificate, civil status and criminal record (but this one wasn't necessary in getting married - however it always depend on the 'catorio'). I also made copy of my passport notarized - (just in case as it was cheap anyway) and wanted to apostile it (but I had also get stamp from the court - it's was required - at least in my country - not sure if just on notarized copies of documents or just on all notarized documents). The best if your future husband would go to cartorio and ask about required documents.

You wrote: "can he register the wedding without me present ?because I only  have 7 days left when I return , and was waiting on a date from civil registry to  come ?"

What do you mean you have "7 days left when I return" - where/when will you return and why 7 days?

I guess it can be tricky - as they required some signatures from me - also case of having translator on wedding (sworn) - if they will require/not - do you speak portuguese ?

WEll my 7 days came from I have been in brazil 2 separate times , once 90 day and now sitting in airport 83 because they told me if I overstay 180 days in calander year I can't come back until start again , but I just asked custom officer who stamped my passport said every time you leave brazil you can come back another 90 days ???? I told him federal police said I'm not allowed back when I leave now until December 26 as was my first time here 2018 , so it's why I wanted to leave now as to have 7 days left to come back again , but he said no when you return you will get 90 again ,, so confusing ,,,
Anyways I'm leaving now to get all documents done again and sent to my consulate to get legalized  then Back to Brazil again ,,, so hopefully will be ok ,,

So we do need translator? No I don't speak Portuguese ,, is this forsure need translator ?

Kimmie B - depends on the "cartorio" and judge who will held a process of marriage.
1. Ask you fiancee to go to cartorio where you want to get things done and ask about all details.

2. I think it works like that
You first enter was 26th December 2018 - you can stay max 90 days (or extend it at Federal Police for another 90 days). Max 180 days until 26th December 2019. If you were first time 26th days for 90 days. Then now you are right and should live before end of another 90 time. Then you can come back again (in my opion) only after 26th December 2019 (even if your second stay was 83 days). But I guess even police and customs have problem with counting that - and it would be easy to resolve with online calculator done on official website of police federal - if someone will provide me the specific rules how to count it I can do one like that ;)