Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

From the list I have of the new stable union requirements the only things from my own country look to be my criminal record check and my I.D. They ask of this from my ID. Will my passport suffice with this?

Portaria interministerial nº 12, de 13 de junho de 2018.
o Documento de viagem ou documento oficial de identidade;

There is also this which I'm confused by:

Certidão de nascimento ou casamento ou certidão consular, quando Documento de
viagem ou documento oficial de identidade não trouxerem dados sobre filiação;

What's a fillaçao? Will my  passport be enough? I have my birth certificate (the original) here in Brazil. Will I need to send it back to the UK to be apostilled?

Do you believe I need my birth certificate however for the stable union at the PF. The criteria around personal docs is the below:

ID: Portaria interministerial nº 12, de 13 de junho de 2018.

o Documento de viagem ou documento oficial de identidade.

Could this just be your passport.....?

Certidão de nascimento ou casamento ou certidão consular, quando Documento de
viagem ou documento oficial de identidade não trouxerem dados sobre filiação;

What's a a fillação? Will my passport have it?

Nikola Grace wrote:

Do you believe I need my birth certificate however for the stable union at the PF.

What's a a fillação? Will my passport have it?

"Filiação" is the complete names of both of your parents.  It's required for Brazilian ID documents, and if the listed documents from your country don't show it, you need your Birth Certificate to provide it.

Please remember that the documents needed for a stable union is different in each cartorio you may visit. With the new immigration law it is suppose to be more regulated but trust me it is still needing much patch work. Have your fiance go to the cartorio and get a written statement of what is needed to save alot of heartaches. My cartorio requested my original birth certificate, sinle status affidavit, all pages in passport copied, document showing we have been living together for a year(such as a electric bill or water bill, etc), copy of ID of my parents that matches my birth certificate, I was divorced so I had to get my original copy of divorce decree also from my clerk of court from my city. After this I had to get legalized by the consulate. Since Brazil is part of the Hague convention now we no longer have to get legalized only apostilled. Then I sent all of these documents to a sworn translator (I provided info in previous comment) and he translated and notorized and mailed them to my fiance. Rule of thumb... If you are bringing a document to use in a another country then get it apostilled so it will be recognized with no questions.  It is better to spend a few extra dollars then have to buy a plane ticket to get a $20 document . After this you will apply to get your permanent visa. If the rule still applies then you will need a criminal background check from the country you last resided in the last 5 years and get this apostilled also for a stable union. If you are getting married besides a stable union then you only have to sign an affidavit at the PF you are applying stating you have no prior criminal record. Just please have your fiance get the specific documents needed at the PF and cartorio you are applying. One more thing if the single status is needed in your cartorio then please have them give you the proper format needed that they expect. This one about put me under. Wish you the best of luck.

Some here are going to jump on me for saying this but I wouldn't have left. I'd have had someone in your family in Canada get all the documents and get them apostilled them messenger them here. Then send them out to be translated.

Someone mentioned copying the passport. This is a requirement. They also have them "authenticated" at the cartorio.

Yes. I copied in my country passports - but in the end they copied and "authenticated" at the cartorio so it was no need to apostile/notarized copy of my passport in my country.

James if you are here - I have question

"Once you are married then you should immediately go to the Policia Federal - Setor de Estrangeiros (Federal Police - Foreigner Sector) with your original Marriage Certificate and other necessary documents and apply for a VIPER Permanent Visa (com base em cônjuge brasileiro/a). When your visa application is accepted the Federal Police will issue you a protocolo which bears your photo, basic information about your identity, nationality, parent's names, etc., which will be valid for 180 days. The protocolo allows you to remain legally in the country until the visa process is completed. This can take anywhere from one year to two years under normal circumstances, even longer if there is any problem. So, you will have to continue going back to the Federal Police every six months (before the expiry date on the protocolo) to get it extended (prorrogação). They will stamp it and it will be valid for a further 180 days. You need to keep doing this until you finally get the visa issued.

If I will apply for this VIPER permanent visa (duo being married with brazilian)  while staying in Brazil on this  90 days visa exemption rule for touristic purpose wll I be able to go travel to other countries (go back to EU for 1-2 months) ? On what basis I would be able to come back to brazil then (when waiting for granting the visa as it can take 1-2 years) ?

My opinion is that if you only have 7 days left in Brazil and needing all these documents then it would be impossible to obtain in 7 days. you have to first retrieve all the documents which is time consuming and then send them off to get apostilled which is a 1-2 week process. then send to a sworn translator and he will mail to you when completed which mine took me 3 weeks. you can overstay but that is risky and the fines now are much higher with the new immigration law. The process is a huge burden but worth it in the end.

Janusz
James died several years ago.
The VIPER no longer exists:  it was eliminated by the new Law of Migration. Functionally, it was replaced by the VITEM XI, recommended in a previous post.  This is now a temporary visa (VIsto TEMporáio), but is the visa for family reunion, including marriage.  The Federal Police process it for permanent residence much as they did the old VIPER.  The difference is that unlike with VIPER, your permanent residency isn't pre-approved before arrival, just your right to apply for it.

I got my visa (ID card) in less than 30 days after applying for it.  When I applied for it a received a paper saying that it had been applied for. This paper would have allowed me to leave and re-enter Brazil without another visa application.

And I got married and received my residency while on an expired tourist visa.

Abthree - it's so sad. I found many his posts here and he was so helpful to people here.
Thank you for clarifying some things as when reading many article/posts from various source the person can be confused and later mixing names/rules etc.

Mike - thank you for you feedback, but when it was?

Thank to all of you people here. I see great community here and I hope I will be able to meet some of you someday in Brazil :)

thank you. I'm going to have to send my birth certificate back to England to get this apostilled along with my criminal record check.

Thankfully the cartorio I went to only wants my passport and cfp for the stable union.

We got married April 17th of last year.

I'm going to admit that I forgot about the hike in the daily overstay penalty/fine that took effect about 6 months after I went through it.

Nikola Grace wrote:

thank you. I'm going to have to send my birth certificate back to England to get this apostilled along with my criminal record check.

Thankfully the cartorio I went to only wants my passport and cfp for the stable union.

Make sure the issue date on the birth certificate is no more than 90 days prior to turning it in.

Mike and when applying for VISA you had only to show marriage certificate and ciriminal record or sth more? (other than passports of course)

My wife (native of Brazil) and I were just married on July 7th. I am from Canada. We are submitting the documents to apply for a permanent Visa.
We are going to the federal police (for the fourth time)
The last time, we were told I need to get a new criminal background check ( and it had to the apostille etc)
Because we did not get that memo the first, second or third time we were there we have decided this is what we are going to do:

We are going to request to speak with a supervisor and my wife is going to ask him this question:

"My husband is from Canada and we are submitting his application for permanent residency.

He does not have a criminal record in Canada or anywhere else.
We are wondering if we submit a notorized "Declaração Sob Pena da Lei de Não Condenação"
if this is sufficient, or will you also require a police record from Canada?"

Portuguese:

"Meu marido é do Canadá e estamos enviando seu pedido de residência permanente.

Ele não tem antecedentes criminais no Canadá ou em qualquer outro lugar.
Estamos nos perguntando se nós submetemos uma notória "Sobrescrita da Lei de Não Condenação".
se isso for suficiente, ou você também precisará de um registro policial do Canadá? "

-----------------------------------------

*Ask for reference name and position at Federal Police Offices.

We are not going to invest the time and money required to get a new criminal background check unless it is absolutely necessary. We were not even given a reason why my criminal background check document was not acceptable. It is an English and it was not legalized... Perhaps this is the reason. We do not know because we were not given a reason.

Our next step is to obtain a 90-day extension Visa. Then we are going to find out exactly what is required and get it in writing from a supervisor so we have something to substantiate the directive, should another clerk decide that we need to provide some other document or detail.

I hope this helps someone. I will let you know how things go.

Have a wonderful day! :-)

Thank you so much for the clarification and updated.
I wasn't quite sure what I'm supposed to be applying for.

Because my wife and I are planning to go back to Canada within the next couple of years. (and then periodically return to Brazil and back to Canada excetera during the course of our lives), should I be applying for permanent residency or a permanent visa? or is this synonymous?

[I have no desire to obtain Brazilian citizenship, for various reasons but that is a whole other topic worth researching for those contemplating this option]

Thank you once again for your input over these past months. It is been enormously helpful and appreciated! You rock!!

GringoJanusz wrote:

Mike and when applying for VISA you had only to show marriage certificate and ciriminal record or sth more? (other than passports of course)

The cartorio in Bertioga required copies of all pages of my passport and then authenticated them. I had my birth certificate and my divorce papers apostilled in California  and translated here. Once we were married we took the passport pages, birth certificate, and the new marriage certificate to the PF Unit in Santos and filled out a couple forms, paid the fees, had my picture taken although I had to bring 3 with me, and fingerprints taken. I signed a document there that said I have had no interactions with the police since arriving.

I think you can have dual citizenship Canada/Brazil.  I know I can with the US.

Residency and permanent visa are pretty much or at least were synonymous. I know that when I started the process they stamped my passport and gave me a paper saying I was legal and 30 days later they issued my RNE/ID card. Before that my wife and I went to the post office and got my CPF.

Should be within time but thank you for pointing it out!

I was nervous of being there illegally then and a big fine and not so nice stamp on passport , and lawyer told me it could possibly affect our decision to marry if so ,

I have some question regarding this topic
your article is awesome
i got many useful information
& i'll go to Brazil Next year
and yes i'll marry there  :D
As i am from India
What document will be needed according to law
because if i missed any of document, it'll be impossible to get that document after entering Brazil as it''ll be very costly as well as very lengthy
As of 14 August 2016, the Hague Apostille Convention will enter into force in Brazil.
every document is needed to be Apostille
I just want to know as i am from India
1. Will i need Birth certificate?
2. Will i Need "Single Certificate"? ( i never get married in my life)
3. Will i need to apostlle my educational documents for working in Brazil as my qualification?
4. What will be expenses for getting a normal marriage in Brazil as on 2018?
5. Anything else you think  fit to expand my information !!!
6. What document will be needed by my Future Spouse?

Please Explain everything

Thanks  :)

The fine is steep now. I was here illegally for 4 years before I got married. I had to pay fine of just over R$850 for that. Now the fine has gone up to something like R$100 a day up to 100 days.

Krish47k wrote:

I have some question regarding this topic
your article is awesome
i got many useful information
& i'll go to Brazil Next year
and yes i'll marry there  :D
As i am from India
What document will be needed according to law
because if i missed any of document, it'll be impossible to get that document after entering Brazil as it''ll be very costly as well as very lengthy
As of 14 August 2016, the Hague Apostille Convention will enter into force in Brazil.
every document is needed to be Apostille
I just want to know as i am from India
1. Will i need Birth certificate?

Yes. You will need your birth certificate and it has to be apostilled.

2. Will i Need "Single Certificate"? ( i never get married in my life)

If your government has such a document, yes. If not, I believe you will need to write and sign a document to that effect.

3. Will i need to apostlle my educational documents for working in Brazil as my qualification?

Yes. But you there will also be language exams and educational knowledge exams for you to get your "carteiro de trabalho" here.

4. What will be expenses for getting a normal marriage in Brazil as on 2018?

That varies from cartorio to cartorio.  We paid about R$100 here in Bertioga.

5. Anything else you think  fit to expand my information !!!

Learn Portuguese. You will need it for the tests and the wedding.

Birth certificate no more than 90 days old when filing for marriage. ALL documents must be less than 90 days old when presented, even yours.

Please Explain everything

Thanks  :)

Well
first of all Thanks for your valuable reply
i didn't expect that i would get reply so soon
now move to topic
I am learning Portuguese
you said if my government has such type documents............
well In India there's no need for certificate of Single
but my government make such documents but it's very difficult to get that document as it not needed in India
you're From Brazil
can you tell me
What's the public view if a foreigner person marry with an Brazilian?
they think bad or normal?
you said there'll be an examination regarding my language  test
Is it compulsory for privet jobs too or it's only important for officials jobs?
i meant if i want to work without this test...............
can't i work with a minimal knowledge of Portuguese ?
Because it's very difficult to get proficiency in any language sooner until you're living in such type environment where the particulate langues getting used
Please Guide

ad 1. Will i need Birth certificate? - yes I had the "full birth certificate" as in Poland we have full, short, normal type. Plus it need to be appostilled.

ad. 2. Will i Need "Single Certificate"? ( i never get married in my life)

- I had it - in Poland it was "civil status" and I got it apostilled.

ad 4. What will be expenses for getting a normal marriage in Brazil as on 2018?

You need translated in Brazil those appostilled documents (I had to sent it from North to polish sworn translator to Sao Paulo cost of delivery and translation of 2 or 3 documents - about 700-800 BRL :( ).

ad. 5. Anything else you think  fit to expand my information !!!

Someone wrote "Learn Portuguese. You will need it for the tests and the wedding. " - good tip. I manage to not have English sworn translator - but it wasn't easy to convice some people I don't need it :) However if I couldn't convice them then I would need to pay about 2000 BRL for translator to come from other state to my city and translate during ceremony.

- proof of residence, civil status I guess, birth certificate etc... don't remember ;) She should go to cartorio and ask.

Krish47k wrote:

Well
first of all Thanks for your valuable reply
i didn't expect that i would get reply so soon
now move to topic
I am learning Portuguese
you said if my government has such type documents............
well In India there's no need for certificate of Single
but my government make such documents but it's very difficult to get that document as it not needed in India
you're From Brazil
can you tell me
What's the public view if a foreigner person marry with an Brazilian?
they think bad or normal?

I'm actually an American.

you said there'll be an examination regarding my language  test
Is it compulsory for privet jobs too or it's only important for officials jobs?
i meant if i want to work without this test...............
can't i work with a minimal knowledge of Portuguese ?

As long as you know and understand enough to pass the tests, yes. The tests are required for your "carteiro do trabalho" the book/document that outlines your skills and work experience.

Because it's very difficult to get proficiency in any language sooner until you're living in such type environment where the particulate langues getting used

Use online resources such as Duolingo and Livemocha to train your Portuguese.

Please Guide

For marriage process, you have to show your birth certificate as well as singlehood certificate attested by embassy of Brazil situated in your country. Character certificate/non-criminal certificate attested by embassy of Brazil is also sometimes requested. For your school documents, there is very long process.

For marriage ceremony, there no prerequisite of Portuguese Language Test..... It is mandatory for naturalization.

sakraan wrote:

For marriage ceremony, there no prerequisite of Portuguese Language Test..... It is mandatory for naturalization.

I've had several people I know go through the process with their educational documentation. You have to be able to prove you can communicate effectively in order for them to issue the carteiro do trabalho and you need that to get a legal job here.

sakraan Yesterday 21:42:50

What Portuguese Language Test you talk about? In my case in cartorio was simple question if I speak portugese and the woman was speaking about the process in cartorio... but my wife had to translate some thinks so she told my portugese won't be enough for the marriage ceremony and we need translator.... but it the end we manage to resolve this. So I guess passing some official test is not required... but unofficial requirement of passing "cartorio test of portugese" or requirment of having translator  could exist in reality and depends on the people working in cartorio etc.

GringoJanusz wrote:

sakraan Yesterday 21:42:50

What Portuguese Language Test you talk about? In my case in cartorio was simple question if I speak portugese and the woman was speaking about the process in cartorio... but my wife had to translate some thinks so she told my portugese won't be enough for the marriage ceremony and we need translator.... but it the end we manage to resolve this. So I guess passing some official test is not required... but unofficial requirement of passing "cartorio test of portugese" or requirment of having translator  could exist in reality and depends on the people working in cartorio etc.

The official test I've been talking about, as I've repeatedly said, is not for getting married, it is for proving your educational/professional knowledge and that you can function properly in a Brazilian company if you want to legally work in Brazil and especially if you want your work in Brazil to count towards your retirement.  Again, it is not for getting married, although at least knowing enough to answer the questions leading up to the cartorio signing your wedding certificate is recommended.

I'm working in Brazil as a software engineer. I have changed almost now third company I speak very little Portuguese I have no problem getting Job here. I got my carterio de trabalho nobody asked me about Portuguese test.

You don't need to worry about any proof of Portuguese speaking until you start applying for Naturalization...
The Carteira de trabalho people don't even speak to you, barely even look at you, you just go in a room show your document and get the book.

Of course you're going to need Portuguese to be able to work/function in society but at the Permanent Resident level it's all up to you

I know 5 people that had college degrees they wanted recognized here so they could work. All of them had to take a Portuguese test.  Funny thing is one of them got a job offer in Dubai that he accepted the day after he got his.

Portuguese Test is obligatory so for naturalization process. For mariage, there is no question of Portuguese.

Anyone had problem doing the online form for residency ? After filling the Autorizacao de Residencia form it says in a yellow box " Selecione aluguma receita ou declare isencao" im not missing anything to add and there is no option to declare??

You need to select the GRU to print for payment. There are 3 I believe.

Thanks, the reply i got from PF is that the site has been screwed since 19 September and they hope to have fixed as soon as possible. "ATENÇÃO!!! Em razão da implementação do novo Sistema de Registro Nacional Migratório, e dos problemas oriundos da entrada em vigor do mesmo, estamos impossibilitados de abrir vagas desde o dia 13/09, esperando que a situação se resolva o quanto antes para que possamos retornar a abertura de agenda. 🙄

Hello,

I have been reading through and finding some stuff very helpful but also fairly confusing...

My tourist visa expired a long time ago, but I stayed to be with my wife (although she isn't legally my wife...).  When we looked into getting married (leaglly), there were problems because of my expired visa.  Recently someone mentioned they got permanent residency via uniao estavel.  I was planning on going down that route, then get the marriage recognized legally.  But while reading up about the uniao estavel process, people were saying it was easier to get married.

My understanding is that the Uniao estavel is pretty much done through a cartorio and is a simpler process because 1)  You need a valid visa to start the marriage process and 2) you need more documents.

Can anyone give me a few pointers on this?

Thanks

Hey,

Already having a 10 year valid tourist visa, is it possible arriving in Brazil with all the apostolized marriage and residency documents to stay in the country to conclude the marriage and residency process?

Thanks
Kev