Obtain your CPF online

Hello,
I was advised to go to a post office or some other place (that I've forgotten), in order to obtain my CPF number.
First off, I wrote ‘CPF number' because it seems that they no longer give you card, but you get it in electronic form, to be printed out, and apparently there's also an app. Unfortunately i can't install the app (or not even view its description in the App Store), im getting a ‘Wrong Region' error. Which is a little bit strange, since my understanding is that this app should be available to anyone who has a CPF (I think it's similar to the vaccine certification apps around the world). If that's true, there should be no such restrictions. I wonder if it's the same for Android devices…?

But either way, here's the address to apply for a CPF number online (specifically for foreigners, there's another address for Brazilians) https://servicos.receita.fazenda.gov.br … efault.asp

I will let you know if and how that works.

I got mine last April and remember filling out an online application, sending said application and required documents (photo of passport, photo of myself holding passport, and regular selfie) to my consulate in the US and they emailed me a copy of my issued CPF card. I remember the process not being horrible.

Looking back at my email thread, I got it within 48 hours of sending the email.

02/25/22

Kurterino wrote:

Unfortunately i can't install the app (or not even view its description in the App Store), im getting a ‘Wrong Region' error. Which is a little bit strange, since my understanding is that this app should be available to anyone who has a CPF (I think it's similar to the vaccine certification apps around the world). If that's true, there should be no such restrictions. I wonder if it's the same for Android devices…?

It's often the same for Android, but it's inconsistent and seems to be specific to the app.  I've had no trouble getting the ConecteSUS app (vaccination certs, among other things), the CPF app, or the Gov.br app on my US-registered Android phone, but when I try to download the Carteira de Trabalho Digital app, I get a "not available in your country" message.  :dumbom:

If someone has the time to have a look at the form (https://servicos.receita.fazenda.gov.br … efault.asp), I'd like to know what you think:
In the second paragraph, titled Localiçazão, what address do I give them? I don't really have an address of my own here in Brazil , but if need be, I could use the address of a friend, where I'm staying right now. Or am I supposed to give my Swiss address here?

I just literally got mine, through the email.

This is going to be long but hopefully helpful.

When I started all this I went searching online and filled out a form (links will be below), completed a form online, and printed it.  Then I went to the Correios showed them the form, along with my birth certificate.    I paid $7 Reais and got a receipt with a stamped thing on the back.  She sent us to Receita Federal who proceeded to tell us we needed to make an appointment.  She also said the form I completed on line and what the Correios did were the same thing. There were no appointments for over a month.  So, I dug a little and found information on e-mailing.  I tell you this part as I don't speak Portuguese well and I'm not sure if filling on the online form helped.  I am certain that the Correios receipt was necessary.

I had to fix a few things and send the e-mail about 3 times.  So, if it comes back resend everything again as if it is the first time.  You will get an automated response e-mail telling you what to do, and then if there are issues they will send an email with an explanation.

So, links and all of these might not be necessary.  Some of this was trial and error on my part I'm sure.

Originally, I went [link under review]:and clicked on the "click here" in the comments of box 1.  This brought me to here, which is the form I filled out and printed: http://cglondres.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/cpf.xml   I don't really think this was necessary.

Then I went to the post office and said I wanted to get a CPF. Got the receipt and CPF Barcode.

Then got to this link.  This is important because it lists who to send your e-mail to;
https://www.gov.br/receitafederal/pt-br … or-e-mail/

Sent the Following documents in the e-mail:

1. A cover letter (because I'm just like that)
2. A copy of my passport as I felt like the selfie didn't really show the information clearly.
3. A passport Selfie
4. A copy of my visa entry.  I read somewhere you had to be here legally
5. Declaracao de Condicao Fiscal
6. Declaracao de Endereco.  (I couldn't find an online form so I just typed it and set it up as form)
7. The Correios Receipt
8. The CPF Form I'd filled out online.

Like, I said it took me a few times, which is probably related to not knowing Portugues well but then I received this:

Boa tarde,
Sua solicitação foi atendida.
Segue em anexo o comprovante de inscrição no CPF para impressão.

Atenciosamente,
Superintendência da Receita Federal do Brasil

Hope this helps and good luck.

Danielle.

PS  I clearly don't know how to set up links very well.  My apologies.

02/26/22

Danielle,

Most of this is useful information, so thanks for posting it.  :top:

You're right though, the links in this one paragraph are for the Brazilian Consulate General in London, so probably only helpful to people in the UK:

"Originally, I went [link under review]:and clicked on the "click here" in the comments of box 1.  This brought me to here, which is the form I filled out and printed: http://cglondres.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/cpf.xml   I don't really think this was necessary."

yea, thats pretty similar to what I did. but i still had to go to recetia federal in person to fill out the same online forms.

:lol:

Hi Danielle,

Thank you for posting, maybe you can help me with something. I've followed this link (http://www.receita.fazenda.gov.br/Aplic … cpfIng.asp), which brought me to a inscription form. Everything is nice and clear, except this one field titled ‘Voter'. I don't know what I should fill in, I've tried 0 or a whole bunch of zeros, but I get an error every time, saying the field can only contain numbers (which would rule out my passport number, it contains an X). By any chance, do you remember what you wrote in that field?

It is blank.

Thank you, that did resolve the error message, but I don't think I managed to send it. The Submit button doesn't seem to work correctly. When I click it, I get a message asking if I want to load the form again, and either choices (yes or no) didn't seem to do anything. I just wonder if you had similar problems? Also, did you immediately get an automated confirmation mail?

Cakinator wrote:

It is blank.

Good Morning~

I wanted to post a little update on this post and the other related to the Migrante Web System as they kind of go hand in hand.

Kurterino is correct that they don't issue a physical CPF anymore.  Went yesterday to Correios and she said so.

So you need a CPF.  You can get this through e-mail as linked here.  But then to access the Migrante Web (and I assume other places) you also need an e-CPF.  They are different.  CPF is the number you get issued and give when buying things.  e-CPF can only be generated if you have the CPF.  This e-CPF is where everything is headed and it basically gives you a certificate you install on your computer and verifies who you care for a variety of things.

The e-CPF requires you to go into an office, be fingerprinted and identified, etc.   You can use this to sign legal documents electronically, etc.  It be obtained by clicking here.  and making an appointment. This is where you pay the R$155 another poster was talking about elsewhere.

I made an appointment on Saturday for Thursday.  Keep in mind all offices that offer the service of fingerprinting and identification are probably independently owned and the service may vary.  Where I went to was an accountant's office.  I created a password while in the office and they wrote down a number both of which were needed for downloading the certificate.  It was pretty simple and about 6 hours later I received an e-mail with the information necessary to create the certificate and download it.

Here are the instructions for that as a point of reference https://ajuda.serasa.certificadodigital … 046456952.  That said, I didn't do the download myself my boyfriend did but it seemed fairly easy.

So, once you have the e-CPF email you download and follow the prompts to issue it.  Then keep that on your computer. 

Also, want to note that related to the migrante websystem there appear to be two sites.  OLD and NEW.  https://portaldeimigracao.mj.gov.br/pt/migranteweb.

So for those who (like me) have problems sending the form from the Danielle's link, there's another form here (https://servicos.receita.fazenda.gov.br … trangeiro/), which seems to have the same purpose. I submitted this one and got a number and confirmation, and now I have to go to a Secretaria da Receita Federal do Brasil. How do I find the closest one?

Dirija-se a uma unidade da Secretaria da Receita Federal do Brasil de posse deste comprovante para concluir seu atendimento.

03/04/22

Kurterino,

A web search on "Receita Federal (name of city)" should give you the address, phone number, and office hours.

Kurterino,

What do you mean trouble sending the form from my link? Where are you in the process? lol.

If you are in Brazil, I'd go to the post office and get the CPF receipt.  "cadastro de cpf" and then use that to send the e-mail to obtain the electronic version.  By pass the form (I don't think it actually did anything).

then get the e-cpf.

Cakinator wrote:

What do you mean trouble sending the form from my link? Where are you in the process? lol.

When I tried following that first link, it took me to the Experian website.  :/

Abthree, 

Apologies.  The first link in my message is for experian this is to set an appointment for the e-CPF if you already have obtained a CPF by either traditional means (as some of you already have) OR via e-mail as instructed in the beginning of this post.

That said, I was curious where Kurterino was in the process.  :)

Same here.

Danielle,

Yes the form didn't work for me (I wrote a post about it), but I had a link to another form called Inscrição CPF Estrangeiro (https://servicos.receita.fazenda.gov.br … trangeiro/ )
and this one I could submit without problems. Now I have a file number or something, and I have 90 days to take my passport and my confirmation document to a Secretaria da Receita Federal do Brasil. I will see what happens at the Secretaria da Receita Federal do Brasil, hopefully I can get there next week.

Ok, that is exactly what happened to me.  So, go to the Correios and get a receipt from them and then just e-mail everything.

Then I went to the post office and said I wanted to get a CPF. Got the receipt and CPF Barcode.

Then got to this link.  This is important because it lists who to send your e-mail to;
https://www.gov.br/receitafederal/pt-br … or-e-mail/

Sent the Following documents in the e-mail:

1. A cover letter (because I'm just like that)
2. A copy of my passport as I felt like the selfie didn't really show the information clearly.
3. A passport Selfie
4. A copy of my visa entry.  I read somewhere you had to be here legally
5. Declaracao de Condicao Fiscal
6. Declaracao de Endereco.  (I couldn't find an online form so I just typed it and set it up as form)
7. The Correios Receipt
8. The CPF Form I'd filled out online.

I went to the  Secretaria da Receita Federal do Brasil, hopefully I can get there next week.  They told me A. make an appointment or B. do it online.  DO it online after you get a receipt from Correios.

try this:  https://www.gov.br/receitafederal/pt-br … or-e-mail/

I lost or misplaced my CPF Card at a Claro Cell Phone store, in Rio, but have a photo copy on my Computer.

Should I be worried about Identity theft ?

03/05/22

Xpat-Forever wrote:

I lost or misplaced my CPF Card at a Claro Cell Phone store, in Rio, but have a photo copy on my Computer.

Should I be worried about Identity theft ?

Probably not.  There's not much that a thief can do in Brazil just with someone else's CPF, even with the card.

If you want to have an official copy of your CPF always available, the Receita Federal has a little app called "Pessoa Física" that you can install on your phone.   I know that it's available for Android, and assume that it is for Apple.

Here's a link (https://www.gov.br/pt-br/servicos/obter-cartao-de-cpf ) to the page that links to the smartphone apps (Open the section ‘ Etapas para a realização deste serviço' and scroll down, there are links for both Android and Apple).
I couldn't install it on my iPhone, i got a ‘Wrong region' error. That's probably a mistake (that it's region-locked), because this app is intended for foreigners who have a CPF, as well as for Brazilians.
It is possible to change the region on one's iPhone, but I think that you will lose any subscription and apps that you have paid for before, so not a good solution.

abthree wrote:

03/05/22

Probably not.  There's not much that a thief can do in Brazil just with someone else's CPF, even with the card.

If you want to have an official copy of your CPF always available, the Receita Federal has a little app called "Pessoa Física" that you can install on your phone.   I know that it's available for Android, and assume that it is for Apple.

Great, there are three not too far away, it will be easy to get there. Would you happen to know if I need an appointment?

abthree wrote:

03/04/22

Kurterino,

A web search on "Receita Federal (name of city)" should give you the address, phone number, and office hours.

Kurterino wrote:

Great, there are three not too far away, it will be easy to get there. Would you happen to know if I need an appointment?

abthree wrote:

03/04/22

Kurterino,

I had an error on my CPF last week. I did need to have an appointment but it was the next day. Appeared I was the only person in the large building. 10 minutes and I was done.

Thanks for the tip about my lost CPF.
I was worried a little bit .... ;)

Texanbrazil wrote:
Kurterino wrote:

I had an error on my CPF last week. I did need to have an appointment but it was the next day. Appeared I was the only person in the large building. 10 minutes and I was done.

So I went there without an appointment, mainly because I don't speak Portuguese very well yet, and phone calls are particularly difficult at this stage. 
Once there, one of the guards at the entrance showed me how to make an appointment online, he helped me through the entire process, that was really cool! It would have taken me a lot longer on my own, there are a lot of options to choose from and a few steps to click through.

Btw, to be able to make an appointment, you need to have a CPF number, otherwise the system won't let go any further. Yes, even if you want an appointment to obtain your CPF… However, it's ok if you use a friend's CPF (that's what the guard told me), but you also have to know his birthday in order to complete the form.

Hopefully everything goes as planned next Wednesday (my appointment), I will post again once I have new information.

So I got my CPF number today, it ended up being a lot easier than I expected. Here is what I did (remember this is for people who are in Brazil) :

1. Fill out and submit the form Inscrição CPF Estrangeiro (https://servicos.receita.fazenda.gov.br … trangeiro/ ), you must get a confirmation with a número de atendimento. This confirmation states that you have to go to a Secretaria de Receita Federal within 90 days. You need an appointment, here's where you can get it: https://www.gov.br/receitafederal/pt-br … resencial. Important: you need someone else's CPF, name and birthdate to complete the form, without it you won't be able to make the appointment.
2. Go to the Receita Federal, don't forget to bring your appointment confirmation, it contains a code which you will need to know when it's your turn (the codes are shown on displays once they're up). Also bring your passport.
3. In my case, instead of speaking to someone face to face, I needed to communicate via internet video call, and that was very hard. I do understand and speak some Portuguese, but due to bad sound quality, I hardly understood anything at all. But thankfully there was an employee there physically, and she helped me out. At this point, all I had to do was fill out another form (a small one), and after about 15 minutes of waiting, I got my CPF.

That's it, quite easy really.

Cheers

Congratulations!!!

@Kurterino Have you had success getting a CPF number?  Someone else sent me the same link that you provided for getting a CPF.  I tried it and found it to be unintelligible.  First, the address section doesn't seem to work with U.S. addresses.  I tried to have my Brazilian girlfriend fill it out and she had trouble, as well.  But the fatal flaw is the phone number.  There is no option for an IDD of 1, which is the first number that you need to dial to connect with U.S. phone numbers.  There also isn't an option for 55, which is for Brazilian phone numbers.

07/08/22 Tim, I know that you can get a CPF at a Brazilian Consulate.  I'm not aware of anyone getting one from abroad otherwise.
@timhoffnagle
I did get a CPF number, but I was in Brazil at the time. I do remember having trouble with a form, I ended up getting an appointment at the Receita federal via an online form. Once there, all I needed was my passport and I got my CPF number immediately (after 15-20 minutes). 
However when I tried to use this CPF to activate a Claro prepaid SIM card, it wouldn't work, I got some weird error, even 4 or 5 weeks later. After that I went back to Switzerland, I'm curious to see if it will work when I return to Brazil in November…
I got my cpf through the consulate - everything online, quick and easy.

I also can't use it to activate a sim through sms or app, but it does work if I contact customer service and do it over the phone.

I also can't use it to activate a sim through sms or app, but it does work if I contact customer service and do it over the phone.
- @JNSQ86

Interesting, did they give you a reason why that is? I know other expats who got their CPF years ago and they didn't seem to have this problem.
I didn't ask, the phonecall took less than a minute, it seemed like routine for them. This was with Vivo.

- @JNSQ86

Interesting, did they give you a reason why that is? I know other expats who got their CPF years ago and they didn't seem to have this problem.
- @Kurterino

I live(d) in Oregon. While in the USA, I obtained my CPF just over ten years ago, I was required to go to the Brazilian Consulate in San Francisco, by appointment only, to do the paperwork, then I had to go to the PF in Sao Paulo within 90-days to register it. Yes, it's a lot easier today

Hello

I have submitted my online application and I have received a form back with my details on.

Below my email address is a box which says "Location " and to the right of this box is  says signature.

At present I am in the UK .

What do I put in this box marked Location

I have received my cpf number by email how do I get the card