Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

Yes.

In Brasilia, where an applicant can inquire about his process of naturalization?

Policia Federal.

I wanted to give you some current info as Im canadian and yes just married a brazilian ,just last week ,finally,,here after much confusion,,,,but really was not my fault ,was a lawyer we hired here to do ,,it would have been much easier without him ,,,as its not hard just need the right information ,,wish I would have seen all this information first,,,for this site and the people running it  are  the most useful tool ever for Brazil,,,
applying for permanent citizenship tomorrow ,,,fingers crossed

Citizenship or permanent visa? You didn't need to get married for a permanent visa. The law changed last year and you could have of done a civil union contract to apply for a permanent visa.  That is what I did since it is such a hassle for a foreigner to get married here in Brazil.  My wife and I went to US and got legally married afterwards.

good to know,,,,,well i have my visa ,,,so I guess Ill be asking for perm citizenship ,,,,as I have a cpf number ,,,so very good reply thank you ,,,

Hey Kimmie it gets easier I promise
Ok I think you're a little lost here, there's no such thing as "permanent citizenship"

There's Permanent residence which you can apply for if married to a Brrazilian and the Marriage is registered in Brazil and you have a Brazilian Marriage certificate in your hands.....Then you going to need to submit it with a bunch of other Docs
You get a residence card which lets you live and work freely in Brazil, you can't vote
must report address changes to federal police within 30 days and can lose it if you stay out of the country for two years , but you enjoy almost all the rights of A Brazilian and you are a Mercosul resident too

Citizenship can only be applied for after 1 year of living in Brazil IF you are married to a Brazilian or have a Brazilian child - if not it can take 4 - 15 years
You have to pass a portuguese test, get a voting document and register for the Military(Men only) if you go this route , but it gets you the passport and full rights
Most Canadians don't choose to become Citizens for tax purposes and you already have a fantastic passport, however it can open up Job Opportunities

I just finished the Citizenship Process and for me it made a big difference , not only because it improved my passport and gave me dual citizenship, but also it had a huge psycholoical impact that I did not anticipate and made me feel much more part of the culture as strange as it sounds, I wasn't expecting it but it happened

Anyhow sounds like you're having a tough time and it can be tough, inbox me if you need advice, someone to talk to or help with learning Portuguese, I'm an English teacher by trade these days but I can tell you whats worked for me with Learning Portuguese which is the Biggest part of intergration and it's more than just words as they say lol

Can you tell me where to learn Portuguese to pass citizenship test ?

I started with Semanticas online course: https://www.semantica-portuguese.com/
was the best resource I ever found outside Brazil

I'm sure in Brazil you can find tutors who specialize in this.
you could also find a language school with Portugese, otherwise just talk to people, study , watch tv and ask questions on how to say things

That's how I did it

Ok your citizenship have you done Test if yes is it hard ?

Thank you so much ,yes its beeen very hard ,,but getting it done day by day ,,and money ,,but yes please whats up me ,,*** ,,I would love all the info I can get,,,Tomorrow we are going 3 hours from here to to apply for my residence or citizenship,,,I look forward to hearing from you

Moderated by Alexia 5 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your personal contact details for your own security. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

The old federal police test wasn't hard, but you have to have some writing and comprehension skills

Hi small question
If passport expired permanent residentship also will be expired?

rasvi wrote:

Hi small question
If passport expired permanent residentship also will be expired?

No.  Just make sure that you keep the old passport, if it has your valid visa in it, so that you can show both new and old if required.

Well I don't carry passport at all I have permanent RNE card so no need passport to carry in brazil right just RNE card

I've never been asked for the viper again, once you get the RNE card they not interested in the visa in your passport, I came and went on new passport , they just want the card, always keep your old one with you when entering and leaving just in case though

In Brazil you just need some kind of ID on you RNE card is fine, I took my drivers license and always left the card safely at home

stevefunk wrote:

In Brazil you just need some kind of ID on you RNE card is fine, I took my drivers license and always left the card safely at home

Same here.  I keep an authenticated copy of my CIE in my wallet; the original almost never leaves the house.

abthree wrote:
stevefunk wrote:

Same here.  I keep an authenticated copy of my CIE in my wallet; the original almost never leaves the house.

I'm the same, sometimes o carry authenticated passport copy. Especially if staying in a hotel as sometimes  I've been asked for a clearer photo on ID

Does anybody knows how to get a Brazilian driving license ? Do I need to do under take test (psychology) and theory ? Do I need to be fluent in Portuguese to pass the test

I was carrying the original RNE, I will also carry photocopy then.

just get certified at the cartorio

Green Day 🌱🌾🎋💧

Thank You Stevefunk 🙂

I was told I would only have to bring my valid California license to Detrans and pay an R$80 fee for mine.

Good luck with that plan.  Your license needs to be transcribed by a licensed transcription service here in Brazil. You will need to show proof of residency (where you live for 6 months-phone bill, rental agreement) Then you have a medical exam and a psychological test.  You don't need to read Portuguese to do the test.  It's tests your pattern recognition. Pay fees and maybe they will issue you a driver's license.  My Virginia driver's license has a class M for motorcycle. In the US, I can drive a passenger car and a motorcycle, which is not listed on the driver's license because the license itself is for passenger vehicles and the M is permission to drive motorcycle. So Detran wants to only issue me a motorcycle license.  I have a contact at VA DMV and had them issue a letter on an official letterhead explaining the licensing in VA.  It is now transcribed and now I need to deliver to Detran. Hopefully this will end this delema.

I got the license at DETRAN without incident, only think is our SA Licenses only have the initials of first names like :JD Doe

I had to just get a basic letter from my consulate confirming it's a legit license
then it was pretty easy

Only some countries have this License exchange program, if you not on the list you have to do the whole thing from scratch which includes Mandatory lessons and classes

At DETRAN here, they told me that they'd need a sworn translation of my Illinois license (not a problem), proof of residency, and some kind of test that seemed pretty perfunctory.  The fee, though, was R$200, and they said that I'd have to renew every six months.  Since we don't have a car, that was the dealbreaker for me, and I passed on it.

How long ago was this?

My experience with the RNE/CIE/residency process after overstaying my visa is now obsolete. We went to Detran here more than 2 years ago.

A year ago, almost to the day.  Thinking of going back.

You must have misheard about the renewal every six months.  Nothing was mentioned to me about renewing the license.

You're in São Paulo; I'm in Amazonas.  In situations like this, that's often explanation enough.  :joking:

True enough.

I was just looking at the form the clerk gave me again, and it doesn't say anything about renewal.  That was oral input from her, and since we don't have a car and don't plan to, it wasn't a high priority for us, although both my husband and I heard it, and questioned it.   But it has kind of irked me now and then ever since.  I'll probably give it another try in the near future, and maybe a different clerk will have a different take.

They were just confused, there is a type of temp license that you can get every 6 months, when you do the license exchange they give you a 5 year valid license, that's the law as long as you meet the requirements
The Clerk obviously didn't know what she's talking about or was confused.

When I went to Poupo tempo to pick up my RG I had a clerk who just thought I was some random guy asking if he could get an RG he had no idea at all about the procedure, someone else came and took over and knew what to do straight away....

RG or RNE?

:D

Now RG ....resigned that RNE card to the trashbin of Document pouches

How did you get that? Naturalization?

Yep , how else, started process in July 2017 , would have been wrapped up in March/April but I didn't even find out it had been published until the end of July

Def a good feeling, much bigger psychological impact than I could have imagined, plus it jumps my 53rd in the world ranking South African Passport up to 16th Place Brazilian , and I can have both so why not?

Plus I also felt I was treated very respectfully each set of the process, the PF , getting the Military document and finally the voting one....each place the people were friendly , helpful and positive....I did half of it it SJC then completed the final steps in Florianopolis....maybe in some of the big cities (SP/RIO) the experience would have been a little different

I'll do a full write up soon

Hello need help,
Married to a Brazilian wife. Have our Certidao de Casamento from Consulate here in Vanccouver. My Vitem XI permanent recidency under family reunion has been approved (Have the visa on my passport along with the white slip visa form).

However,
My father's second name is missing on the white Visa Form. Not sure how to approach this.

Consulate told us to register and have our marriage transcribed at Cartorio 1 in Sao Paulo, Praca de se.

The Vancouver Brazilian consulate said the Marriage Certificate should be okay without the need to present a Birth Certificate to Policia Federal (once we have the Cartorio 1 registration done).

When we processed our marriage I presented a copy of my birth certifictate (not authenticated/apostillized). I was born in the Philippines and naturalized Canadian Citizen.
My birth certificate has not been authenticiated by Department of Foreign Affairs in Philippines (Philippines not part of Apostille Hague). Neither has it been submitted for legalization in Brazilian Consulate in Manila (Philippines).

Will I have any troubles with the Federal Police about the name of my father's second name missing on the Visa form? Is our marriage certificate strong enough of a legal force document for them not to ask for Birth Certificate? (Our marriage certificate has all the correct informartion).

Should I just leave the visa form the way it is or should I do what the Vancouver consulate suggested? I'm just afraid they will ask me to present my Birth Certificate.

Any help would be appreciated (theres been some helpful people but just wondering if any  others have any suggestions).

Thanks

Not sure what is "white visa or form" but I think marriage certificate will be enough.

More important are the first name and last name (Unless you mean last name = second name) ;) But anyway I didn't need to show birth certificate to PF so in my opinion this shouldn't be issue. They require a marriage certificate and I think some stuff related to proof of residency etc(where we are living - this documents provided my wife).

But my process was done here in Brazil but still i think you shouldn't worry about this issue.

His first name and last name is correct. Just missing the second name. Fr ex:Antonio(Antonio--First) "Rodrigo" Smith (Smith--last name).
We applied from here in Canada.
Now, the" white" visa form details all the information, when we applied. I'm assuming it's what's entered in the system.
It is the form:
Republica Fedartiva do Brasil.
Ministerio das Relacoes Exteriores

From the condulate.
It also contains the Protocolo number.