Getting married in Brazil, Permanent Visa and documents required

That's excellent!  Got it.  If you have your documents in order and move quickly, you SHOULD be able to submit everything and have your Protocolo by May.  Fingers crossed!

I'm just concerned if I don't have it back before I leave the country....? What happens when I re-enter?

You should get something temporary while you're at the PF office.

First get your stable union done then pay your over stay fees to fix your 'illegal' status then you need to apply for residency. Residency is not automatically given because you had a stable union or marriage.

Any overstay fees will have to be paid as the residency via stable union interview is held at the PF. All fees (for me there were 4, including the overstay) are paid at the same time.

When you apply for VIPER due to stable union you should have the "protocolo" paperwotks with you or a stamp on your passport. If you hurry up, you should have them before your student visa expires which is end of February. Then you won´t have the overstay fine to pay and you can go back to England for jury duty and will be able to re-enter with the temporary paperworks as a resident if you haven´t received the RNE card yet for permanent residents...

robal

Thank you all that makes sense regarding the fees.

As I have been here for 11 months will my proof that I have not committed any crimes need to be from Brazil or from the U.K?

They didn't ask me for one.

If you did not get out of Brazil since you came from the UK it makes sense that the proof of crimes committed should be from Brazil.

However, I`ve heard from members that a statement from your Brazilian husband
that you are of good character and did not commit any crime should suffice and also there´s a form - a "Declaração Sob Pena de Lei" that you can submit and they should honor that. It´s just a form - YOU declaring that under penalties of the law you have not committed any crime.

robal

Thank you again that makes sense as I have a proof from the UK apositllied also from when I took out my student visa last August and since then I have been here.

It will save me quite a bit of money if I don't do this again.

Thank you all so much.

Me again.....we have decided that marriage will be the best option for us.

I am collecting all my documents and there is a delay for me to be able to get the document to prove I am single in the UK. I then need to get everything translated.

From when you give your notification of marriage at the cartorio do you then get your protocol or only when you are married?

As I believe when I have my documents and go to the cartorio the period until I marry in that period my visa will lapse.....

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Nikola!!!!

Can any here recommend a good immigration lawyer in Rio proper that speaks english.  Thank you.

When you apply for your permanency if everything is in order and it is accepted. You will be given a protocol which you can use for travel. As far as an overstay they will take care of that when you apply for the permanency.

Jim

Congrats Nikola.

You will need to bring the actual marriage certificate that you get at the cartorio to the DPF when you apply for your permanency.

Hi,

I just have a quick couple of questions, I have been in Brazil the last 7 months of the year under the tourist visa with my girlfriend. I plan to go back there at the end of next month and I'm trying to sort out a few things whilst I'm back in the uk, for the visa process. I have a CPF.

I understand I need an updated birth certificate to prove I'm not already married and to undergo a Criminal Records check? I'm guessing these are two things that are much easier to do whilst I'm in the UK, or perhaps only possible there. I just wanted to know how I go about doing this? I haven't checked at all yet and thought asking on here would be a good idea. I'm guessing it's possible to do online or at a registry office?

Thanks

Yes.  Check the list of documents required for a permanent visa on the Brazilian Embassy website, and gather originals of all of them before you leave the UK.  I recommend getting several duplicate originals whenever you can; it's worth the investment.
If you're planning on getting married in Brazil and applying for permanent residence here, have apostilles affixed to all government-issued documents (only the one you plan to submit, if you have duplicates),  and all notarized documents, which will save you trips to the nearest British Consulate, and make them acceptable to the Brazilian authorities.
Good luck!

No document can be more than 90 days old also, remember that. Don't get them until a few days before leaving and use them within 90 of their issue when you get there. They'll also have to be officially translated by a tradutor juramentada and registered at the local cartorio. Search for that in your area.

If you've ever been married, you'll need the divorce documents from the legal authorities. Those will also have to be translated and registered. I believe there's a form you can fill out attesting that you've never been married but I can be wrong in thinking so. I was divorced so I had to have those court documents from California sent to me apostilled by the state by my mother along with a new copy of my birth certificate.

You'll also want copies of each page of your passport from cover to cover. I saved money on the printing fees due to a lack of ink for my printer by using Photoshop to put four pages on each sheet instead of one printed page for each passport page. I was also hoping this would save me money at the cartorio because I thought I would be charged by the printed page and not the passport page which ended up being the case. Each copied page of your passport must have one of the cartorio's celos/seals on it. Mine ended up being 32 pages.

Oh. The Santos unit I went to had me sign a document saying I hadn't gotten in trouble in Brazil while here.

Couchsurfer,
  When you check for documents, If you plan to get your permanency in Brazil go to pf.gov.br to find out what documents. The consulate and federal police requirements are not always the same.

Jim

Mike in São Paulo wrote:

I believe there's a form you can fill out attesting that you've never been married but I can be wrong in thinking so.

That's certainly correct when you're registering your marriage at a Brazilian Consulate outside Brazil; not sure what's required when you're getting married within Brazil.

abthree wrote:
Mike in São Paulo wrote:

I believe there's a form you can fill out attesting that you've never been married but I can be wrong in thinking so.

That's certainly correct when you're registering your marriage at a Brazilian Consulate outside Brazil; not sure what's required when you're getting married within Brazil.

I was in Brazil.

How do you get this form (to attest to single status) if you aren't in Brazil?

I'm about to give up on ever getting married in Brazil.  By the time I get all of my damn documents together something is bound to be older than 90 days... 

Trying to convince my man that the fiancé Visa is the way to go.  He could be here by December!

Thanks for the help so far, much appreciated,  didn't know about the 90 day window, so that's good to bear in mind. I have a 48 page passport so that will be fun copying all that.

Re the Birth Certificate and CRC, I assume these two things are easy to obtain with a short turnaround, as I'd like to do it as close as possible to when I leave, to give myself more time when I'm back. Is there anyone on here from the UK that's had to obtain those things?

I married this week at the cartorio, took less than 5min. From your country you need an original Birth certificate & Certificate of no impediment. Both must be less than 90 days old and each one must have an apostle. In NewZealand i was able to do this online and had them sent to Brazil. When the docs arrived in Brazil  i had them translated by a public sworn translator (use Google), four pages total (Birth Cert and Apostle, Certificate of no Impediment & apostile. I paid double price and had it done in two days.  The originals and the translated copies then need to be registered as legal documents, they stamp and copy everything. You need a CPF. You need a utility bill with a Brazilian address that you are staying at and a declaration from the person whos address it is saying yes you are staying there. Submit these documents with your marriage application, they will ask you to come back in a few days with your two witnesses to sign. At this stage your marriage application will be aproved and you will pay for it, you then need to wait at least 30 days while they publicly display your intent to marry. Give them a call after this time and they will give you a date to marry.

mococatx wrote:

How do you get this form (to attest to single status) if you aren't in Brazil?

I'm about to give up on ever getting married in Brazil.  By the time I get all of my damn documents together something is bound to be older than 90 days... 

Trying to convince my man that the fiancé Visa is the way to go.  He could be here by December!

You never know though with this administration. He's told the country he thinks too many visa applications from non-white and non-wealthy countries are being approved.

I would go to the Brazilian Consulate online or call them and see what they recommend. It could be as simple as a letter written by you and notarized.

Hang in there and hopefully you can get it all ready and finished in the 90 days.

Don't listen to the negativity of Mike...it's not helpful.

Hi!
I found the form - just a Word document - on the website of the Brazilian Embassy.  I just edited it in Word to change the location from "Washington" to "Chicago", where we registered our marriage and applied for my visa, and signed it in front of the consular officer.
Unless you're planning on living in the US, don't bother with the fiancé visa - it costs twice as much as the tourist visa, and commits your fiancé to the Green Card process, during which he must stay in the US.  If he'll be in Texas, my suggestion would be for him to come on a tourist visa, get married there, and register your marriage and apply for your VIPER at the Consulate General in Houston.
The document that will hold you up if you let it is the FBI Background Check.  The wait time for that when I got it last Summer was ten to twelve WEEKS, going directly through the FBI. Even though it's expensive, you definitely want to go through the FBI's official "Channelers".  They'll turn it around in a couple of days.  Be sure to buy both the PDF and the hard copy:  the hard copy looks "official", as required.  Good luck - it's not really that hard, if you and your fiancé stay organized.

Made all the mistakes (overstayed 90 day visa, wrong docs translated, original birth cert, not new etc etc ) but got it done, permanency and married.  The PF in Vitoria / Vila Velha were courteous and extremely helpful.  But, hey, if it was too easy it wouldn't be Brasil, one of the reasons I love it here.      :-)

CabeçaBranca wrote:

The PF in Vitoria / Vila Velha were courteous and extremely helpful.  But, hey, if it was too easy it wouldn't be Brasil, one of the reasons I love it here.      :-)

Sounds like Capixabas are still Capixabas - what's not to love? :-D

The laws have changed as of Nov 21/2017.  I suggest you apprise yourself of the changes

Duplicate birth certificates can be obtained on line in the UK.  You then need to get an apostile attached to the certificate from the foreign and commonwealth office.  This is to certify that it is a genuine document.  It needs to show your parents full names. 

The same applies in the case of marriage and divorce certificates if applicable. 

You can get a certificate of non impediment from your local registry office.  It involves posting a notice of intention to marry publicly, and then 28 days later they will issue a certificate of non impediment. 
A police certificate (ACRO) can be obtained on line here:

https://www.acro.police.uk/

The initial application for permanent residence visa was made at the Brasilian consulate in London.  It has to be paid for by Postal Order, and no, cash, cheques, bank transfer, Bitcoins are not acceptable.  There is a clear guide here :

http://cglondres.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us … brazil.xml

The consulate staff were extremely helpful.

This was the procedure for me. 
I then got all the documents translated in Brasil, by an approved translator, then registered at the cartório.  Double check the translated documents.  My birth certificate, though correctly translated, was labelled as a wedding certificate, cue another round trip to translator/cartorio.   

I would love to say that it isn't as complicated as it sounds, however ......       :-D

Nikola Grace

If you start the process of your permanency and are just waiting on the CIE to come you can travel on your protocol that they give you. I would think that your process would be finished by the time you travel.

Jim

Jland, I have the email sent to me from the Consulate in Chicago but I can't figure out how to send it to you

copy and paste into a pm.

Jim

Hello, do you have Any idea about the new procedura to get the visa in união estável? I gas all the documenta Ready, i sas waiting for my Fiance' contract and in the meanwhile the law chanced! I can't find the new procedure anywhere!

I think the only thing that changed was the fees especially for overstaying.

http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/imigra … l.pdf/viewhttp://www.justica.gov.br/seus-direitos … ao-de-sexo

According to the Brazilian Consulate in Chicago USA you can no longer get a permanent visa from any consulate you have to go to the federal police department and request permanency

BRAZIL: New Immigration Law Published
Posted on: 2017-06-14

Effective November 2017, a new Brazilian immigration law (Lei 13445/2017, published 25th May 2017) will replace the Foreigner Statute law (Law No. 6815/1980). The new law has a humanitarian approach and aims to reduce the bureaucracy and fight the criminalisation of immigration non-compliance. Note that implementing regulations will have to be published before the impact of the new law is fully understood. Below is a summary of the main changes.

Visa Categories
Law No. 13,445/2017 changes the nomenclature of visa types and abolishes the Permanent Visa. Note Article 12: “The applicant who wishes to enter or remain in the national territory may be granted visas:  I – Visit; II – Temporary; III – Diplomat; IV – Official; V – Courtesy.

Visit Visas
These are visas for business, tourism, transit, and other short-term purposes not linked to any remunerated activities in Brazil.

Temporary Visas
Aside from expanding the number of categories for a temporary visa, the new law also abolishes the work visa requirement for crew members of cruise ships and vessels operating in long-haul.

Residence Permit
The new law creates a residence permit available to all foreign nationals in Brazil, regardless of their immigration status (or entry visa).  With the elimination of the Permanent Visa Provision and the creation of the residence permit, foreigners wishing to reside in Brazil on a permanent basis while on a temporary visa or visitor visa may apply for a residence permit by complying with the required conditions outlined in Article 30. The new residence permit applies to those who wish to remain in Brazil for work, family reunion, research, teaching or research, health treatment, humanitarian efforts, investment or relevant economic, social, scientific, technological or cultural activities, as well as those who benefit from a treaty on residence and free movement regulations, such as Mercosur nationals. Processing of applications should be completed within 60 days.

Registration
The National Register of Foreigners (RNE) will be renamed to National Migration Register. In the case of the Temporary Visa, foreigners will have to register within 90 days of entering Brazil. It is important to mention that in the case of a residence permit, foreigners must register within 30 days with the appropriate department which authorises the residence

Fines and deportation
There will be an Increase in the fine for an infraction committed by an individual, in the minimum amount ranging from R$100.00 to R$10,000.00 per infraction. Currently the fine ranges from R$8.28 to a maximum of R $828.28.

There will also be an Increase in the fine for an infraction committed by a legal entity (i.e. an employing company), ranging from a minimum of R$1,000.00 to R$1,000,000.00 per infraction. Currently the fine is R$2,480.00 and can be multiplied up to 10 times per infraction.

The economic condition of the offender, recurrence, and the seriousness of the infraction in both cases above will be considered upon charging a fine.

The fine attributed per day of delay or by excess of permanence may be converted into an equivalent reduction of the authorisation of the visitor visa period, in case of new entry in the Country.

In any case of irregularities subject to deportation, the notification will be of 60 days (currently it is three to eight days). In addition, the migrant within this period is assured of the possibility of regularising the migratory situation, which is different from the previous law. Moreover, it is possible to extend this deadline. The 60 days minimum may be disregarded in cases in which the migrant has committed an act contrary to the principles and objectives displayed in the Federal Constitution.

Ouch.

Is this true work permit is banned for foreigners??