Quickest way to get an FBI Identity History Summary and Apostille

Hello,

I apologize in advance. I realize this subject has been touched upon before in the forum, but I am having a hard time finding it. I am returning in a month to Brazil and need to bring my FBI Background Check with apostille to Brazil. What is the quickest way that I can achieve this. I currently live in California and moving with my wife back to São Paulo permanently. Any help would be appreciated.

@duzzimenino  Not sure it can be done before you leave so plan to have someone else help you apostille it if that is the case.

https://www.fbi.gov/how-we-can-help-you … ary-checks

Go to the site above and complete the information.  Say you want to go to a post office to do the fingerprinting.  Find a local Post office to do it (they will offer some suggestions).  Some post offices allow walk ins - some require appointments.   Go get your fingerprints done they will send it to the FBI. 

When you get it send it to US State to get it apositilled.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel … ument.html

You might be able to expedite.  I wouldn't pay a service to do it.

@Cakinator Thank you for your response. I see that some folks have used Monument and National Apostille service. I understand you issue with using a service. I have 45 days left of time on a Tourist Visa in Brazil.

1) Can I not get finger printed and have a channeler forward the backgournd check to one of the above named services and have them send me the document to my residence in Brazil?

2) Can I also have a digital copy of my apostille fbi background check emailed to me so that I can provide a pdf version for the translator I work with in São Paulo to translate the document for my visa application?

Your post said you lived in California and are moving to Sao Paulo not that you were in SP.  I'm not sure how to get it done when not state side.  I attempted to do it last time I was in Brazil but my understanding was I was going to have to figure out how to do the fingerprinting myself.  No thanks.

Apostille's require original documents (which might include a printed version of an email that the FBI sends) and then they return an original.  I had to get a copy of my birth certificate (because it was older than 90 days) and I order the bc to be sent to my friend.  She then sent it to the state to be apostilled and had it returned to her and then she mailed it to me.

Hope this helps.

10/11/22 2) Can I also have a digital copy of my apostille fbi background check emailed to me so that I can provide a pdf version for the translator I work with in São Paulo to translate the document for my visa application?
-@duzzimenino

I responded to your other questions in answering your DM.  the answer to this question is "yes".  You can definitely send a PDF to the translator to start work, and when you have the apostille, you can send a scan of that, as well.  Once an apostille is affixed to a document, though, do NOT remove it to make copies or scans, or even manipulate it in a way that might damage it.  That will void both the apostille and the underlying document.

@duzzimenino

The actual FBI back ground check is completed in seconds and you have an emailed copy of it instantly. I had mine in my email before I got to the door of the post offioce to leave the building after fingerprinting.  If you request a hard copy, that takes about a week to get. You do not need their hard copy, I did not

Thank you, rraypo.

10/11/22  Thank you for that rraypo.To clarify: do I or I don't need a hard copy mailed to me in Brazil from the Visa Service I have supplying me with the apostille. Or can have just pdf of the background check and the apostille emailed to me from the visa service I'm using to apostillize it? I'm sorry, I'm confused.
-@duzzimenino

To the best of my knowledge, you're going to need a hard copy background check with the hard copy apostille attached to it by the US State Department.   For the electronic transmission with your application to the Polícia Federal, you can include a PDF of the Background Check and a scan of the apostille, but when you go in for your appointment you're going to need to give them the actual documents, attached to each other. 

You should confirm that in advance with the immigration lawyer that you're working with, but that's how it's been since 2017 and I doubt that it's changed.

duzzimeino and abthree

To the best of my knowledge, you're going to need a hard copy background check with the hard copy apostille attached to it by the US State Department.  For the electronic transmission with your application to the Polícia Federal, you can include a PDF of the Background Check and a scan of the apostille, but when you go in for your appointment you're going to need to give them the actual documents, attached to each other.

You should confirm that in advance with the immigration lawyer that you're working with, but that's how it's been since 2017 and I doubt that it's changed.
-@abthree

It always amazes me just how different every case is and is treated. I printed off my FBI background check and mailed that to the Consulate with my VITEM application and package of documents, that was all they wanted. When I got the "Official" hard copy of my background check in the mail, it looked exactly like my home-printed one, there was nothing official about it. The Consulate in SF did not want anything translated, not even my handwritten Icelandic birth certificate. When I went for my PF interview in SP, although I had copies and originals of everything with me, they did not want to see anything, just my approval on my original application from the Consulate and my new VITEM visa in my US Passport.  It was all so easy for me. The people at the SF Consulate were great, and very fast in replying and processing and the people at the PF in SP were timely and quite professional

10/11/22 @rraypo.  Was your visa a VITEM or a VIPER?  That sounds like the VIPER process.

10/11/22 @rraypo. Was your visa a VITEM or a VIPER? That sounds like the VIPER process.

I sent in my application and documents for my VITEM XI to the SF Consulate, in November 2020. I had my approved application back, along with my VITEM XI in my US passport in just over a week, followed by my PF appointment in SP Brazil in mid-Dec 2020. My non-expiring RNM along with a great letter of pre-approval for opening bank accounts drafted by the PF for me was in my hands when I left the PF. From the PF, we went to the nearest Cartório. From there, into an ITAU bank branch and had both checking and savings accounts opened along with a temporary debit and credit card within an hour. My first credit card then had a credit limit of R$500. pretty hysterical, but hey, I had one after all those years.  I had given my facilitator POA and had him pick up my CRNM exactly 30 days to the day later, mailing it to me back in the USA by DHL. It was all very easy, and very fast.

10/11/22 @rraypo. Was your visa a VITEM or a VIPER? That sounds like the VIPER process.
-@abthree

VITEM XI, SF Consulate, November 2020 followed by my PF appointment in SP in mid-Dec 2020.
-@rraypo

Interesting! 

-@abthree

VITEM XI, SF Consulate, November 2020 followed by my PF appointment in SP in mid-Dec 2020.
-@rraypo
Interesting!
-@abthree

I edited and added to my last reply

I may add DO NOT REMOVE THE STAPES ON ANY DOCUMENTS! That nullifies the document(s).

Thank all of you for your help!! I really appreciate this community. Given bureaucracy, I understand that we are not talking about a perfect science. What I have gleaned from here, so far, is: I will be applying for my VITEM XI in Brazil. So what I think I am going to do is two weeks before I go I'll get finger printed and have my FBI Background check Electronically filled. When I get the official pdf in via email order the apostille through Monument and upload the background check. They will print it on there end and submit to the State Dept. for the apostille and I will have them mail it to me (meanwhile also have them email me a pdf of the document that I will provide to the translator while I am waiting for it. I will also go there with an apostille of my certified birth certificate from California and go there with that (since I can get that in a matter of weeks esp if I drive it to Sacramento). My wife has already had our marriage registered at the Cartorio so at least that part is done. I should add that my wife's cousin is an immigration lawyer and will helping with the application process. He just told me to wait until I am about to come to have my background check done given that it is only good for 60 days.

So perhaps this is to clarify my own confusion, but:

When preparing your FBI background check to apply for VITEM "IN" Brazil:

The FBI check from the FBI channeler that you use in the United States can be digital. You don't have to wait to have it physically mailed to you. My channeler gave me a time sensitive link to download the FBI check onto my computer, which I then used to upload to Monument Visa Service with my application to have it apostatized at the US State Dept.

Once done the Visa Service will print out the background check and have it apostatized. They will then forward the physical copy to you in Brazil. Easy peasy.

So far, the most complicated part of all this was my wife having her first marriage, then divorce, and then our marriage recorded at the Cartório in Brazil. The first marriage license and divorce needed to be recorded first before our marriage license could be recorded. I don't know how this could get done state side.

11/01/22 @duzzimenino.  Sounds right about your Background Check.  Don't forget the Sworn Translations when you receive the apostilled document.

If your wife was married and divorced in Brazil, I think that you had to go through the Cartório to revise her marital status.

@abthree Thank you for the reminder. Yes I will get those translated. I think the process of registering my wife's first marriage and divorce was a little protracted because her first marriage and divorce was in the United States. So she had to get them apostatized in the state in which they occurred and then sent them to Brazil where family members took them to the Cartorio. It took a little under one month to get them registered in the Cartorio.

11/01/22 @abthree  I think the process of registering my wife's first marriage and divorce was a little protracted because her first marriage and divorce was in the United States. So she had to get them apostatized in the state in which they occurred and then sent them to Brazil where family members took them to the Cartorio. It took a little under one month to get them registered in the Cartorio.
-@duzzimenino

In that case, if you had gotten a VITEM XI from the Brazilian Consulate, you probably could have handled all of that at the Consulate when you registered your marriage, it would have been reflected on the Certidão Consular de Casamento, and no further documentation would have been required at this end.  All water under the bridge now, though.  Glad it worked out for you.

FBI apostilles seem to be taking about 7 weeks even when paying for a "rush" service. Add postage time and it starts to push the validity limit.

@abthree Yeah I just didn't have time coordinating moving-pets and all-I just decided to do it in Brazil. Too many moving parts and with a ticket in hand in the end I didn't want to risk missing a deadline because of a holdup with the consolate (seeing how there's already delays with the State Dept). Still state side getting the house ready to rent. The pets were the most complicated part of all this! But they arrived safely. Again, as always, thank you for your knowledgeable input.

11/02/22 @duzzimenino. You're welcome.  😃  I was wondering about the pets - so you worked that out, too - cool!  Sounds like you're all set then.  Good luck with the house.   

@rraypo I am reading and need help. a friend of mine need this doc for potugues visa but they say 90 days expired the time. you said got your quickly do you please know who apostille this doc ??? and translate with notorize as well ????? thanks in advance

@duzzimenino No need to apologize. This is information I definitely need. I am a few weeks away from the end of my extension and need to get the FBI check done as soon as possible.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@rraypo I am reading and need help. a friend of mine need this doc for potugues visa but they say 90 days expired the time. you said got your quickly do you please know who apostille this doc ??? and translate with notorize as well ????? thanks in advance
-@cneill

Abthee is much more knowledgeable than I am on such matters. 

02/10/23 I am reading and need help. a friend of mine need this doc for potugues visa but they say 90 days expired the time. you said got your quickly do you please know who apostille this doc ??? and translate with notorize as well ????? thanks in advance
-@cneill

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the question.  Where is your friend now?  What is his/her citizenship?  What is s/he trying to do?  Please clarify -- thanks.