Discount/Benefit if renting apartment in yearly contract basis

Hello everyone.

Today I visited a very nice apartment around the elisabeth park area.

The apartment is furnished for 1100 a month (as we are two, 550 each). Includes internet and water services, no electriciy/gas included. I assume that in the end we would be paying extra 100 for this expenses totalling 1200 or 1300 a month.

We really like the place but it goes a bit over our budget. The lady said that she could work out something if we are staying for a year. We would like want to negociate with her and my question is. Based on your opinion and experience we would like to have a proposal for her. For example a 5%-10% discount, or to include gas and/or electricity in the bills.

Please any suggestion is welcome.

Thank you people!

Eduardo

I'd never dream of including gas and electricity in the rent, if I were a landlord, it gives a carte blanche to a tenant to have heating on too high and 24/7, lights on all the time etc.

Be very very wary of signing a fixed term contract, you're liable for the whole year, even if unforseen circumstances mean you leave earlier. Also when sharing a contract, you have to be ready for the eventuality that the other half will default and you'd be able to pay their part too.

In addition, I'd be very reluctant to take a furnished apartment, as you are liable for any damages and wear and tear has a very loose definition, on exit and landlord might charge you masses for damaging furniture.

Is this a big apartment? We rent a large 4 bed house in WSP for just 1500 a month? It could be shared between 4 people with plenty of space.

You can get services apartments for less than 1100 euro a month which are furnished and include all bills. For me, they are far better for a short term stay.

Well, I do not like that area very much, but it is up to you of course. I think you can find something cheaper especially there, but maybe not at this time of the year. I do not know for how much long you will be staying, but electricity and gas can cost a lot, basically because of the heating. Including them, also, would be quite difficult as she cannot control what you are consuming. You could easily charge her 250 euro and lower her profit to 850 euro, instead of 1000.

Antonios