Sole proprietorship in singapore

Could anyone tell me what are the requirements to work as a consultant in Singapore? As far as I know, I can create a sole then, ask a letter of consent to the MOM, is that correct? I met people who created a sole 3 years ago, and did not ask for any letter of consent or working permit, is this still ok? Thank you in advance for your help :)

Letter of Consent (LOC) is only for people who are already in Singapore on a Dependent's Pass (DP).
If you are not on a DP, you need an EntrePass to do what you are planning. EntrePasses are now VERY difficult to get!
It is illegal to do consultant, freelance or self-employed work on any other pass or visa - only citizens and Permanent Residents (PR) are allowed to do it freely.

Getting entrepreneur pass might not be easy since 2008. There are many requirements you need to meet in order for MOM to grant you a pass.

The new conditions and requirements are as follows:

- The Company must not be registered for more than six months at the point of application

- Own 30%-100% of shareholding in the company

- Have relevant experience and track record in creating and managing a business successfully

- Provide S$50,000 or more in paid-up capital for the new company
Submit a 10-page business plan detailing business goals and objectives. Renewal of EntrePass is contingent on achieving goals and objectives outlined in the business plan.

Aside from above option, you can engage agency to register company with local director and you as a director, then apply EP. I think this will be much easier. In both way you will need to spend estimate 3k for first timer. This will get you at least 2 years EP.

You might want to browse one of the agency that helping foreigner to set up company here. www.jncconsulting.com.sg . JNC Consulting specializes in assisting small and medium sized companies and businesses in their needs like accounting, taxing, company incorporation and secretary services. You can try to compare few agencies, simple search on google will give you plenty of result for you to compare different agencies and prices.

Putting in simple way is you have to get Agency to help you else it will be running ball. Singapore is a very systematic ... there is always a way but you must know the rules.

Other more simple and save cost is apply job and get EP. After two years you can apply PR. Then you can set up company. it's good also at least for you to learn about Singapore and time to adapt with the culture and familiar with the regulation.

What I can say registering company is pretty easy. But getting pass is not easy especially recent years Singapore limit down number of EP approved. So if you have money you can engage agency to arrange, else coming in and work under local company for first 2 years will be the best option.

christine singapore wrote:

Could anyone tell me what are the requirements to work as a consultant in Singapore? As far as I know, I can create a sole then, ask a letter of consent to the MOM, is that correct? I met people who created a sole 3 years ago, and did not ask for any letter of consent or working permit, is this still ok? Thank you in advance for your help :)

Visit www.bizfile.gov.sg for more information.  Hope this helps.

My wife is DP holder and she got approval to work in her own biz venture. You can read our experience on my blog
thomasabeesh.com/2012/08/03/registersoleproprietorship