Does Belgium tax foreign Death in Service payments?

I work in Belgium but am employed by a British company.  If I die while working with them, my family get 3x my salary as a lump sum.

In England this isn't taxed, and Belgium don't seem to have an equivalent type of payment.

It's paid by my employer to my family, so isn't considered inheritance as it is never part of my estate.

Does anyone have experience/knowledge with/of this?

I've spoken to my accountant but she isn't sure either. 

Would my family have to declare it? Anyone know which code it would be best to put it under?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

I know if it was the other way around (so, paid from a Belgian Company to a UK resident), it would be liable for tax.

If this is a recognised Belgian pension plan there is no succession tax  on payments to close family on death in service. If you wish to discuss this further you may call mean 0477 20 13 63.
Michael Dunhill (actuary)

Hi Cynic thanks for the welcome - It wouldn't be taxed in the uk as they don't tax this type of payment

Hi Michael - thanks, it's unrelated to a pension :( the problem is that belgium doesn't have a category for it so I'm worried that they'll stick it under income and charge it as that.

ge32 wrote:

Hi Cynic thanks for the welcome - It wouldn't be taxed in the uk as they don't tax this type of payment

Hi Michael - thanks, it's unrelated to a pension :( the problem is that belgium doesn't have a category for it so I'm worried that they'll stick it under income and charge it as that.

Hi again.

That's not what I read.  What it said was that if it was paid by a British registered company to a British tax resident, you would be correct.  Anyway, I'm not a tax expert, my advice would be to direct your query to someone who is qualified to help you.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team