Getting mortgage in Belgium

I've been wanting to buy a property in Belgium for a while but have been turned down by 2 banks (ING and Belfius) because I'm a resident in UK. Been banking with ING for over 30 years... Any pointers toward mortgage lenders who are willing to lend to expats that are not residents in Belgium would be most welcome.

The big banks are quite regimented/computerised. They understandably feel that they only want to lend money to people  who will repay without problem, and if there is a problem that can be followed up easily.
You might get more help from a smaller bank who perhaps have the old idea that they should know and trust the client. You might also approach an insurance broker; they often do mortgage business.
and might have more leverage than you alone.

You could  also review why  you are resident in UK and buying here. If this is for tax etc reasons and you are coming back and forth regularly, remember you only have to be here for 183 days to be tax resident here. Buying a house could possibly have the effect of raising the authorities interest in your residence status. Passports were not usually stamped on entry even before UK was EC, but if they ask you to justify non residence you had better have your tickets, and or receipts.

Just need a clarification: UK resident means you live in UK but want to buy a house in Belgium as a property? or Are you a UK resident though you work and live in Belgium?

My personal experience as follows:

1.ING:  I approached ING being a customer for 5 years. After a long wait for an appointment, its representative emailed me on the appointment date saying - we lend only to 5-year long-term residents. Not happy to be an ING customer anymore. They didn't even give info about the typical interest rate after receiving my 5-year resident card B/D.

2. AXA: Willing to give a home loan to expats (card A holders). Being a small bank, their interest rate was high  0.3% compared to BNP.

3. Keytrade bank: seemingly competitive interest rates (seen on immoweb).  They give loans only to 5 years cardholders. Nice people, they gave necessary details and possible interest rates after receiving a 5 yr card. I felt worth waiting for the low-interest rates that they offered.

4. BNP: A good friend. Though I was not their customer, they gave all the details and ready to proceed, even though I was on card A. They give loans to expats.

To clarify. I'm Belgian but live in UK. I would like to own a house in Belgium for my retirement. What ING told me was that because my tax return is in a different currency and UK is not in the Schengen agreement  they won't give me a mortgage.

Try this might helpful: https://www.vlaamsleenkantoor.be/hypothecaire-leningen

Does the banks in belgium provide mortgage loans for A card holders . If so which bank ??

Contact them they are more expert in mortgages link: "Hypotheek.winkel"

Arya Prashanth wrote:

Does the banks in belgium provide mortgage loans for A card holders . If so which bank ??

I know at least AXA offers mortgage for A card holders but the rate will be higher than the ones with permanent residence.

hoangtrunghieu wrote:
Arya Prashanth wrote:

I know at least AXA offers mortgage for A card holders but the rate will be higher than the ones with permanent residence.

I got my loan a year ago; I applied to several banks and only BNP, KBC and Fintra approved loan for A card. Beobank approved with conditions (max 80%). While comparing the rates, also pay attention to life insurance premium, which can make huge difference. On my case the difference was 0,2% between Fintra and Beo (lower) however insurance premium was 2x (26k vs 13k) which swept out all interest rate difference. At the end I got my loan from Fintra/Woluwe, very satisfied with their service.

Arya Prashanth wrote:

Axa, KBC, Fintro (I know recent cases where loans were approved).

Big banks have strict rules, so in order to get money you should try to apply to smaller banks.

It really depends on the branch. But I met AXA and KBC Brussels both refused loan to A card holder. They want permanent card.

Not sure if it depends on the agent who receive the file but I got angry due to this kind of difference where someone who could get and some who could not. Salary/avalable cash is not an issue!

It all depends on how much money you can contribute to buy the accommodation.

Of course a permanent resident card is the key for most of the people, as it reduce the risk for the bank, but if you're coming in Belgium with 70-80% or even more of the house price, trust me you'll have 0 problem.