Teaching and living in Mauritius

Hello. I am considering moving to Mauritius, but I am wondering if it is possible to find a teaching job. I have been a teacher of middle-grade students (10-14 years old) for three years in the United States. Can anybody help me find information about schools and teaching opportunities in Mauritius. I welcome all responses.

Thank you,

Justin

hello justin,
hope you are doing well... to be able to teach in Mauritius, i think you need the teaching permit and for that you need to follow certain courses.  i'll try to learn more about it and let you know.

Regards,
Victoria

hi bud, might check the other posts, and write to schools as well, for applications

i think PSSA(Private Secondary Schools Authority) has got to do with it?; or its just for the kind of public schools with local teachers...anyway google up for a better idea pssawebsite.net]P double S and A

have a nice time in mu

Islander

Hey Justin I'm living here and am also from Fort Wayne. I think there would be a lot of opportunities for someone like you that has experience, but you'd want to be in the private or NGO sector I think. It would be a plus if you could learn some french too. Anyways i have friends that work at an NGO called Ti Rayon Soleil and they do have teachers often come to stay and work with the poorer children.they help. I also have friends and know a nice private English Christian school called Morning Star that works with kids from Kindergarten through high school that might have openings for good experienced foreign teachers. Working with the public system probably wouldn't be what you want though.
Cheers

Hi Justin,
I think it can be a little tricky finding a teaching job as an expat here in Mauritius.  I believe the school must first prove that the position is one that has been offered to Mauritians first.  If the position is very specific and it cannot be filled by a Mauritian, only then can a search be opened up to others.  I believe this is a way to protect jobs here, which I understand.  At the same time, it surely limits the exposure Mauritian students could have to international educators. 
Pretty sure this is how it works here, but I could be wrong!  The idea of volunteering or working with NGO's might be the way to go.  You would have to check out all the requirements with work permits, etc.  It can be a little overwhelming (or impossible?!) if you don't already have something lined up before you arrive.
What subject(s) do you teach?  Do you have any specialized certifications or experience?
Good luck!
Courtney  :)

This is a 4 y.o thread btw. Justin may have found his place under the sun already ( or most probably)  :cheers:

Hahaaa!!  I should seriously look at the date next time.  So silly!!  Oh well....I tried to help Justin!   :lol: