Want to resign from my Current Employer

Hello,

I'm from India. I just joined this firm few days back.
Visa, tickets and accommodations are provided by them.
As the work is not of my type here, I want to resign.
I am not comfortable working here in this environment.

My question are -
1. Will the force me to stay ?
2. If they agreed to let me go, will they ask me to pay for all the expenses ?

Please provide your valuable suggestions.

Hi Krunal,

Please check your contract regarding this. It will be dependent on the exit clause that you have. For example, mine has a 3 months notice period from either party with a subclause, that they can review notice given by me and work on a shorter notice period.

However, you also mention that ..you joined - " few days back", so i would assume you are still on probation . Notice during probation may have different provisions.

In my view, in these 'few days, if you have developed a relationship with your manager, and you think you can confide to him. Be frank and seek his help. He would know the company much better than you and anyone else in this forum......and may be able to provide you a solution that could better than  the one in the rule book.

Most importantly, till the moment you are here, like a professional that you are, handle your responsibilities well . I have seen reporting managers overruling HR rules and making an exception in relieving employees, waiving notice period.

Again my guess ...( i'm stressing on guess), if yours is reasonably sized company, it will not bother about visa costs etc .....if you have not rubbed them on the wrong side.

This also brings me to a point where I would like to think aloud.

The JDs prepared and sent to prospects, on many occasions are mere copy pastes. Mostly it may not be what you can expect when you are on ground.

For example: Front ending the company in "Global meetings organized by International bodies" can be reduced to .......responding to any letter in English language sitting at your desk ( and not about attending International conferences).

Especially young and aspiring professionals should factor that and try to get as much information as possible before putting their finger on the 'accept' button.

Savings is important - It is absolutely pertinent to understand, how much one can earn and save. However, the role of enhancement of skillset should never take a backseat . So  to all aspirants (except the likes of me who are planning retirement ;-) )  - my humble request is ......please try to figure out what you are getting into ...in terms of your growth and enhancement, with as much rigour as you can .

Best Wishes

Hi,
Thanks for your prompt response.

As per my offer letter probation period is of 3 months. And Oman Labor Law says "Employee can terminate the contract with 7 days notice in probation period."
As I just started, I don't have any dependency on me. I am just not happy working here, that's all.

I already had talked this situation with chairman yesterday and he told me to have a meeting on this Sunday. If I put this point that "I don't want to work here, I don't find myself comfortable working here", will that be okay ?

Krunal,

I am not sure what Oman labour Law you are talking about ......I do not think there is something as one sided as that.....I am not legal expert in remotest sense though !

anyways .....There is no absolute wrong or right way .....

However, I would NOT put it as bluntly as you have put it. This is exactly being hurtful to the  point "hey employer - you are bad" !

Find out what exactly is the reason ....articulate that part only, without putting them in bad light  !

.....instead of saying ....." I dont like it here" .....you can state the mismatch. The fact that your Chairman was receptive to your initial chat shows that he may be okay with it. This subtle nuances might help in getting a return ticket too.

Best wishes

I have specified my reason - my type of work is not here.

And yes, of course I am not going put it this way that "you're a bad employer."
Let's see how it goes, I really want to get out of this. Wish me luck :(

Anyways, thanks for you help.

May you have all the luck !  :cheers:

Further to my question, they're holding my passport and will return it once the contract is over. What should I do ?

Thats a bit surprising !
They are not supposed to hold your passport .

This was a practice for blue collared workers ....but i have certainly seen notifications forbidding employers from holding the passport .

But trying to show your legal prowess may not be a good idea if your sunday meeting ends amicably .

Bests

Yeah, I'm hoping everything ends well on Sunday.