Expand your social circle in Germany

Hello everyone,

Moving to Germany means leaving one's family and friends behind. Creating a circle of friends or joining an existing one should therefore be paramount in order to fight loneliness in your host country.

But how can one develop a social network in Germany? Where and how to meet people there?

How easy is it to meet locals? What about cultural specificities?

Share your advice and experience!

Many thanks in advance,

Priscilla

Hi Priscilla,
                       I found that learning to speak German was very helpful. It shows that one is willing to make an effort.Are you a student or are you working ?   Asking polite questions is also useful.  The Germans are a only too glad to help . I attended a German evening class for 3 months ,to get the grammar correctly.Hope this helps,best of luck.

Psychdoc.

Hi Priscilla,
I have lived in Germany for many years as I also worked in Frankfurt as a secretary.  The main thing to do to be able to socialize, is to learn German. I was 3 years in language school after coming here with no knowledge of language, Understanding the mentality and culture of Germany is very important. I was lucky to be in a music duo with my husband, and so we met a lot of people through making music. Since my husband passed away some six months ago, I have come back to live in a town where we were living from 2006 to 2009. I still kept in touch with friends over FB and now have returned here, because I couldn`t bear to be alone, and have a lot of friends here. The community here is super and   even have a new band. When one is outgoing and takes part in the community, then socializing is no problem. I love it here.  It`s naturally not possible to integrate and sozialize without a good knowledge of German language.

Hi Priscilla,

It's not easy to meet locals in Germany. Germans tend to be somewhat distant at first (which is why I fit in well here). However, my tips are to:
1. learn German (start anywhere, keep working, and don't give up)
2. VOLUNTEER. There is such great need. Lebenshilfe, Freundeskreis-Asyl...
3. join a Verein. No matter what your interests are, there is a Verein somewhere near you that focuses on those very things.
4. contact schools near you and let them know you'd be happy to visit English classes as a native speaker to be interviewed by the students, talk about your country, help with tutoring...
5. Find out what's going on in your community and join in. Small towns have spring clean-up days where volunteers gather for a few hours and clean up the commons areas. You don't even need to understand German to help.

Basically don't wait for someone to approach you - they probably won't. Get involved. The people I have met through volunteering are warm, genuine, patient, and kind.

Hi! I met my friends in German courses. Afterwards, at work and clubs (Verein).

Hi Priscilla,

Got your post!.
I could agree with most people on this forum. 'One can't wait for things to happen'.
In my case, I relocated to Germany with a 5 year old child. Lucky for me, my little one is quite an extrovert. I have made wonderful friends through her and i continue to network.
As working full time leaves me with less options,I try to participate and volunteer in Events, mostly local.
But, believe me! is it not difficult. Life is everything but lonely :-)
Germany is changing and so are the people. Everyone is unique and you will find people with different temperaments. Most of my friends are Germans and we speak english :-)
Hope you have fun here.