Driving License

I will be working in Saudi for about a month from August 2010. The company will provide a car but my question is; do I need an international driving permit or will the UK license suffice?

Kind Regards,

Dave.

The short answer is....I am not sure...

If you are driving, you will eventually have to get your Saudi license. If you have an international license, they will simply issue you the license without a driving test, you just need the proper paperwork. I also know that if you are coming on a business visa, you will not be able to get a driving license. You need to be on an employment visa and have a residence permit (iqama) in order for traffic to issue you a license.

A few of the guys I work with who have come from America were able to rent a car with no license simply using their passport. They were able to do it for the first month or two until they got their Iqama and then went to traffic for a license. I am assuming that the rental agencies would not rent if it was not legal, but then again there are a lot of agencies probably willing to do anything for some easy money.

I am a big supporter of people driving, I think it is necessary if you are going to be here for any extended amount of time. With that being said, I recommend that when people travel here they do not drive for at least a month or so, because it takes that long to get used to the traffic, learn where you are going etc.

Also, is your company literally supplying a car, or supplying you with money to rent a car? Either way, make sure the vehicle is completely insured, and you should also make sure that the insurance covers you also. I don't mean covers you for injury to yourself, I really mean the insurance should cover for any damage or death you cause while driving. If you kill someone, it is my understanding that it will set you back 100,000 SAR. If you maim or paralyze someone, it could cost you significantly more.

I guess what I am really getting at is, it may be better to hire a driver for a month than to take a car. The cost will be about the same, and the liability will be less. If you were staying for more than a month, I would say look into the car more seriously...

Thanks for the reply. This company has been out there for many years and has employees coming and going all the time so I'm sure they have the correct insurance. The car will belong to the company. They told me to get an International Driving Certificate   but I was just checking if this was necessary if one had a UK license, everyone else has Danish ones.

If you have an Iqama you MUST have a Saudi license, as this states you are a resident of the kingdom.

If you are only on a business visa, you may legally drive on your home or international license.

Technically, international licenses are a joke as they are based on your home license...but by all means, get one.  The process is easy.  My last one was $10 and a photo.  Whoo hooo.

OK, thanks for the advice.

Dave

Hi Dave
If you're only coming for a month, consider WTENGEL's suggestion; have a driver for a month. We may have 4 lane hiways but we fit 6 lanes in sometimes. Have a fender bender and we will have to bail you out of jail (so keep in contact with us). Hope you learned to read arabic because the traffic signs are all in arabic as well as the speed signs, you may have trouble reading where you are meant to go.

But welcome, touch base when you get here
Sharon

Hi WTENGEL,

please help me for getting new saudi driving license, i have valid qatar license, i want to transfer this to saudi license. i already filled the form, done eye test then i got stamp and sign from information department. i dont know what is the next step?please advice me for the same. And i want to know that any possibility to get back qatar license

SAHIL

WTENGLE is long gone, unfortunately.

I have a qatar

driving licence have to get a saudi driving licence

I have a qatar
driving licence have to get a saudi driving licence
-@SANAS s

I don't think so that qatar is under that category.

Sorry dude, you can't convert it.

You have to join a driving school to get a Saudi License.

Go to the nearest Dalla Driving school.