UK husband and South African wife want to move to Germany TOGETHER

Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone would be able to assist me. I am South African, living with my British husband in South Africa. We would like to move to Germany together, but I have no idea what to do. I've been told ten different things of what I need and must do, so naturally I have no idea.
What we wanted to do was wait for my husband to find a job first, but since that will mean that we must separate (as my family reunification permit will take around 2-3 months to be accepted), we are not going to do it that way.
What we plan now is for us to just go and see whether he can find a job and then settle in. Does anybody know what visa I'll have to get to accompany him and how to then stay with him in Germany? Is this even possible with the way their visas work (since the short term visas can't be changed to a long term one-that's what I've been told)? Thanks!

Hello GermanyDream,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Hope you get positive responses from the members on the forum. :)

Regards,
Pravin.

Such questions ar best answered by the German embassy in your country.
Call them!

Thank you for the warm welcome! :D

beppi wrote:

Such questions ar best answered by the German embassy in your country.
Call them!

Thank you beppi! If only it was so easy. I asked them for help before when we were trying to do this a different way, but they stopped replying to me and the last answer I received from them was a rude one. I prefer trying to get my answers somewhere else now.

Hello GermanyDream.

I suggest you to have a look at this article Traveling to Germany. It might help you.

Thanks and best of luck

Karen :)

Thank you, Karen, I will look at it now! Hope you have a great day :D