Can spouse work on spouse visa / dependent visa in Germany?

Hi All,

We are an Indian couple living in Kuala lumpur Malaysia. I'm a working part-time and my husband working as an iOS developer here. We are planning to migrate to other country in future. So can someone please help me by providing the following information :

1. Which Visa my husband will probably get if company sponsors him (as a Software Developer with 6 years of Experience)? how many years and experience one require to get EU card?

2. Can I work on dependent Visa / Spouse visa in Germany? If can, is there any barrier for working hours or salary range? As this is really really important for me cause I don't want to sit at home all day and earn at least for part time job.

3. How is the health care system in Germany for expats on Work visa ?

4. How is children's education ? does German schools have English as main language?

5. How much is a decent salary for an Software developer with 6 years of experience? Which city in Germany has good IT?

6. Which city is cheap and good to live if someone wants to do good saving.

I really appreciate your efforts for answering my queries. Many thanks! :)

Warm regards,
Priyanka.

Hi Priyanka,

Do not hesitate to read other topics on the Germany forum. By the Search by button, choose the category that might interest you. It can help you to get some information on other posts.

Read also the articles in the Germany expat guide.

Good luck,
Christine

Hi @Christine,

Thanks for your swift response  :)

Actually I went through the guide and sections but I am not able to find any thread related to Spouse visa holder allowed to work freely in Germany and that kind of stuff.  Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks!
Priyanka :)

You should really read through the site because most all of this has been answered many times before. Or better yet, you should look at the German immigration website to see the details of immigrating. I'm sure you don't intend any insult but what is appropriate is asking more specific questions rather than lots of general information because one is too lazy to look themselves. Anyway, here is some basic information.
1.    Your husband would probably get a standard work visa but possibly a blue card if he has the credentials. There are some special benefits for having a blue card. But you don't provide enough information like about his degrees and salary level to confirm this.
2.    Provided your husband makes enough money and has a large enough accommodation then you get what is called a family reunion visa and yes you can work with it without limitations. I think you need a A1 German level exam for this if he gets a normal work visa but the requirement is waivered if he has a blue card. The question is what jobs you might be able to find if you don't speak good German. For some very niche jobs like IT there are jobs where the working language is English but these are maybe 25 of total jobs in Germany.
3.    The German health care system is very good and all are required to get insured, there is no difference for foreigners.
4.    German is spoken in Germany! Public schools are good and free but instruction is in German although all eventually get English as a second language. There are some private  International schools with English instruction but they average around 1000 Euros per month.
5.    About salaries you need to find out for yourself. We are always amused here when Indian IT experts are unable to use Google to answer a simple question about their own field. We can't know the particulars of your experience and niche skills. And rather than look at cities and then find an IT job there, one should obviously look for available IT jobs and then see where they are located. You have the row of order backwards. There are multiple good websites for jobs in Germany for anyone who knows how to use a computer.
6.    Again, wrong approach. One first has to find a job and then find a place to live that fits to the work, school and private desires. Saving money will depend on your living habits and not much on which city you live in. Some small communities far from any big city might offer a bit cheaper accommodation but then no jobs, possibly no school and nothing to do.

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for this valuable information. I really appreciate your time and effort. :)

I will surely take note on the above things. One more favor - can you please tell me which are some must use Job sites for EU / Germany apart from - LinkedIn, Stepstone.de, Glassdoor, etc?

Many thanks!
Priyanka. :)

Another question @Tom,

I read the following things in - https://www.germany-visa.org/family-reunion-visa/

Working in Germany on a Family Visa

According to the German law every adult that comes to Germany on a Family Reunion visa and settles, should be permitted to work. However, there are a few conditions that the relative they are joining shall meet, as follows:

He / she has a residence permit authorizing employment for themselves.
    He / she holds an EU Blue Card
    He / she is in Germany as a researcher or a highly skilled person.

Of course, the immigrating family member, also needs to have the necessary qualifications.

So according to this I need to hold and EU Blue card? and be a researcher or highly skilled person even if I am on a depedent visa ?

Spouse (husband/wife), registered partner of a foreigner residing in Germany

Third-country nationals who are legally residing in Germany can bring over their spouse or registered partner in Germany if they both fulfill some conditions. To be able to obtain the spouse visa, the German resident must:
be in possession of either:
       of a settlement permit which is either:
        an EU long-term residence permit,
        a residence permit or
        an EU Blue Card.
       capable of financing the other partner / spouse
       must be over 18
       must know German

On the other hand the immigrating person who wishes to enter Germany under a spouse visa must:
    be over 18
    have at least some basic German knowledge

Now the question is if an IT engineer gets a job in Germany and the Employer is willing to sponsor the Work visa, then the Employee has to get a German language certification first?

Thanks in advance for the response! :)

TominStuttgart wrote:

2.     For some very niche jobs like IT there are jobs where the working language is English but these are maybe 25 of total jobs in Germany.

25 should read 2 percent

Priyanka Baddi wrote:

Another question @Tom,

I read the following things in - https://www.germany-visa.org/family-reunion-visa/

Working in Germany on a Family Visa

According to the German law every adult that comes to Germany on a Family Reunion visa and settles, should be permitted to work. However, there are a few conditions that the relative they are joining shall meet, as follows:

He / she has a residence permit authorizing employment for themselves.
    He / she holds an EU Blue Card
    He / she is in Germany as a researcher or a highly skilled person.

Of course, the immigrating family member, also needs to have the necessary qualifications.

So according to this I need to hold and EU Blue card? and be a researcher or highly skilled person even if I am on a depedent visa ?

Spouse (husband/wife), registered partner of a foreigner residing in Germany

Third-country nationals who are legally residing in Germany can bring over their spouse or registered partner in Germany if they both fulfill some conditions. To be able to obtain the spouse visa, the German resident must:
be in possession of either:
       of a settlement permit which is either:
        an EU long-term residence permit,
        a residence permit or
        an EU Blue Card.
       capable of financing the other partner / spouse
       must be over 18
       must know German

On the other hand the immigrating person who wishes to enter Germany under a spouse visa must:
    be over 18
    have at least some basic German knowledge

Now the question is if an IT engineer gets a job in Germany and the Employer is willing to sponsor the Work visa, then the Employee has to get a German language certification first?

Thanks in advance for the response! :)

The qualifications mentioned are mostly for the one coming on the work visa and not the spouse. I think for a normal work visa the spouse needs to pass an A1 level German test but to quote the following link on the official German immigration website:
“you can substantiate reasons why you cannot learn the language which may constitute a hardship case.”

Thus if someone has no access to German courses then they can do the language exam after arriving in Germany if previously determined that they are such a hardship case. But it eventually has to be done. But A1 is also not so difficult and anyone living in Germany for a few years should learn this anyway.

http://www.bamf.de/EN/Migration/Ehepart … -node.html

And sorry but sometimes the information on the websites seems to contradict each other. The blue card which I think your husband should be able to qualify for waives the language requirement.  Below is a link just about the blue card and it says:

“Facilitation of family reunificationEU Blue Card holders can bring their family members to Germany on simplified conditions. For example, spouses are entitled to a residence permit even if they do not speak German. This also entitles them to pursue gainful employment.“

http://www.bamf.de/SharedDocs/Anlagen/E … cationFile